Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Sandy, DL, and Mid-Atlantic States

Hurricane Sandy, DL, and Mid-Atlantic States

Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Will FLL/MIA/PBI be closed due to Hurricane Sandy?

Hi All,

I wasn't sure FLL/MIA/PBI area will be closed due to Hurricane Sandy. She's heading off the coast of Florida. I wasn't sure what exactly gonna do for now. I wasn't aware of Hurricane Sandy. I think they have be evacuation immediately. You will have reissued the ticketed for next future trip. It will guaranteed. DL will gladly to give you a fully refunded.

Does anybody who flown out of FLL/MIA/PBI lately?

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Oct 26, 2012 at 6:33 am Reason: I clarified the title.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I'm currently in initial approach MIA-BDL. We departed Miami at 9:30pm. No indication of any widespread cancellations; I noticed Freeport was cxld but no other destinations.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
It has certainly the potential to be a mother of a storm - mid-atlantic early next week?
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:43 pm

FLL/MIA/PBI closed due to Hurricane Sandy

I'm supposed to run the Marine Corps marathon and getting nervous re: the conditions, and about getting out of DC Sunday night ( I have a flight booked).
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by fastflyer
I'm currently in initial approach MIA-BDL. We departed Miami at 9:30pm. No indication of any widespread cancellations; I noticed Freeport was cxld but no other destinations.
And NAS, PLS, GDT, MHH, GGT, TCB, ZSA, ELH, GHB, BIM, FPO as well.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I sure hope PBI stays open...I'm scheduled to fly there from ATL tomorrow afternoon, and I think my wife would kill me if I don't make it home for the weekend!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:54 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by N830MH
I wasn't sure FLL/MIA/PBI area will be closed due to Hurricane Sandy. She's heading off the coast of Florida. I wasn't sure what exactly gonna do for now. I think they have be evacuation immediately. You will have reissued the ticketed for next future trip. It will guaranteed. DL will gladly to give you a fully refunded.

Oy, Scotty!!!

As of right now, Delta hasn't issued ANY weather waivers for anywhere in Florida! I think your headline will scare people!

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...andy/index.jsp

I think your post should read - something like - -

Caution!! Very bad weather approaching South Florida! Check your flight status before you head to the airport!

Nothing appears closed right now.

edited to add . . . .

It DOES look nasty down there:

http://www.flightarrivals.com/cgi-bi...2.17.1.1.1.1.1

Last edited by davetravels; Oct 25, 2012 at 9:59 pm
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
Hi All,

I wasn't sure FLL/MIA/PBI area will be closed due to Hurricane Sandy. She's heading off the coast of Florida. I wasn't sure what exactly gonna do for now. I wasn't aware of Hurricane Sandy. I think they have be evacuation immediately. You will have reissued the ticketed for next future trip. It will guaranteed. DL will gladly to give you a fully refunded.

The airports are not closed. Here is a link from the palm beach post: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/we...anceled/nSnR7/
Also no one will be evacuating from this area (as of this time) and most likely will not be.
Can a mod please edit the title of this thread? Mass hysteria!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:03 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Title of this thread is EXTREMELY misleading and, as others have pointed out, will cause unnecessary panic. Hopefully the storm will not be as bad as predicted.

Last edited by jspira; Oct 25, 2012 at 10:09 pm
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:17 pm

Programs: DL PM
Mrs. BHart just departed PBI tonight, no weather reported there yet. Now if ATL wasn't just slowing her down... haha
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by jspira
Title of this thread is EXTREMELY misleading and, as others have pointed out, will cause unnecessary panic. Hopefully the storm will not be as bad as predicted.
Mods have the ability to correct poorly-worded thread titles; maybe they can do that in this case.

I'm sitting at home - our house is 2 1/2 miles due north of the main FLL runway. At this moment (just after midnight EDT) there are some sporadic breezes, but no rain (some on again/off again showers earlier). I watched the post-World Series newscasts on both a Miami station and a Palm Beach station, and neither mentioned a peep about impact to flights.

Per those newscasts, Sandy will make its closest pass to the South Florida coastline (200 miles out) between noon and 14:00 tomorrow, so everyone with plans to fly should keep themselves informed.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
Looks like I better stock up on my beer and wine to hunker down all day tomorrow. I picked up water today and a 6 pack but the 6 pack is gone already. Talk about mass hysteria!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
Originally Posted by davetravels
Oy, Scotty!!!

As of right now, Delta hasn't issued ANY weather waivers for anywhere in Florida! I think your headline will scare people!

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...andy/index.jsp

I think your post should read - something like - -

Caution!! Very bad weather approaching South Florida! Check your flight status before you head to the airport!

Nothing appears closed right now.

edited to add . . . .

It DOES look nasty down there:

http://www.flightarrivals.com/cgi-bi...2.17.1.1.1.1.1
Looks like a typical summertime weather radar to me! No big deal for Florida.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 1:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Was just in Miami and Fort Lauderdale, no problems for me . Back in the nations Capital.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 5:00 am

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
Just hung up from Delta and I am scheduled on #1053 today from ATL- PBI which leaves Atlanta at 4:20 PM. There are no weather advisories for the United States currently. If you look at www.wunderground.com, it will be 200 miles east of Florida betwwen noon and 2 PM today, based on current forecasts. There may be some winds, but I suspect that there will be no cancellations today. Delays are a possibility but it is a Friday afternoon so that is often the norm anyway!

Personally, I think that it will "business as usual".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.