Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Has Delta finally thrown their Diamonds away?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has Delta finally thrown their Diamonds away?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2012, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Diamond Medallion, United-Premier 1K, Hilton-Gold, SPG-Gold, National-Executive, Hertz-Preside
Thumbs down Has Delta finally thrown their Diamonds away?

I am so frustrated right now, I am seriously thinking about looking at other airlines to pledge my loyalty to. Don't have plans for this weekend so thought I would look at some possibilities for this weekend. Have done this many times before and, as a Diamond, I USED to be able to pick flights a few days out and get an "upgrade available" seat on the spot. This morning I've literally looked at over 30 cities and who knows how many flights, on K or better fares and not one offered an upgrade immediately, only "upgrade eligible". One flight had over 20 BE seats available. I'm literally fuming. How many times does Delta think they can tell their Diamonds to "f you" before we start going elsewhere?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 7:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by mfullmer
I am so frustrated right now, I am seriously thinking about looking at other airlines to pledge my loyalty to. Don't have plans for this weekend so thought I would look at some possibilities for this weekend. Have done this many times before and, as a Diamond, I USED to be able to pick flights a few days out and get an "upgrade available" seat on the spot. This morning I've literally looked at over 30 cities and who knows how many flights, on K or better fares and not one offered an upgrade immediately, only "upgrade eligible". One flight had over 20 BE seats available. I'm literally fuming. How many times does Delta think they can tell their Diamonds to "f you" before we start going elsewhere?

I think they are looking to find a Mendoza line as we type.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
August Domestic Load Factor = 87.1%
August Domestic Mainline Load Factor = 88.6%

What do folks expect? This ain't personal.

By all means, though, look around. I'm sure the grass is greener somewhere else.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:09 am

With all of the problems at AA, this would seem to be the time that other airlines would keep all revenue streams open. I agree that 20 open BE seats may not make sense.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:09 am

Programs: Skyteam
DM is overrated. There are too many of us.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by pbarnette

By all means, though, look around. I'm sure the grass is greener somewhere else.
I have to agree - I would not flee to American or United at the moment. UGs are clearly stated as capacity available or similar wording.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by mfullmer
How many times does Delta think they can tell their Diamonds to "f you" before we start going elsewhere?
If you call this an 'f you' probably a lot more. You seem to care about upgrades to first (understandably so). Of carriers with an F cabin, destinations served form ATL:

Delta - about 100 (I stopped counting)

Next highest:

United - 6
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
I agree it is frustrating...but it's not like these planes are leaving with empty F seats. They're giving them to you - you just have to wait at the gate.

(which incidentally, helped me when I had to SDC my flight last week)
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by pbarnette

I was on a flight yesterday (SLC-DTW) and there were about 60 people on the upgrade list and just 12 that were in FC.

Because it was a 320, there weren't many people who weren't elite.

Bob H
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BobH
I was on a flight yesterday (SLC-DTW) and there were about 60 people on the upgrade list and just 12 that were in FC.

Because it was a 320, there weren't many people who weren't elite.

Bob H
Remember that the "upgrade" list at the gate includes FOs, companions, partner elites, etc. and IIRC nonrev standbys. The real question is where the cutoff was for the last FC seat in terms of status, fare class, and Reserve card.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Diamond Medallion, United-Premier 1K, Hilton-Gold, SPG-Gold, National-Executive, Hertz-Preside
Actually

Both UAL and USA have a couple flights a day to where I often go. AND for cheaper. UAL has their status match program. I'm not leaving DAL anytime soon but I would like some answers from them, which I've posed directly to them and to @deltaassist.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
I agree it is frustrating...but it's not like these planes are leaving with empty F seats. They're giving them to you - you just have to wait at the gate.

(which incidentally, helped me when I had to SDC my flight last week)
A gate upgrade is a pain if you prefer a certain seat.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
It seems to me you are overreacting. Yeah, it's a bummer you can't get an immediate upgrade, but as a Diamond with a K fare, you still have a decent chance of a BFUG. I'm sure Delta isn't sending planes out with empty FC seats.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PDXNRTLHR
It seems to me you are overreacting. Yeah, it's a bummer you can't get an immediate upgrade, but as a Diamond with a K fare, you still have a decent chance of a BFUG. I'm sure Delta isn't sending planes out with empty FC seats.
Actually, DL does sometimes send out planes with empty FC seats that elites are entitled to get. There's been an active thread here during the last week about a GA who didn't process the upgrade list, even when prompted by a passenger who IIRC was #1 for 3 seats.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
FCM and A320 is a bad combination. I had a flight last week DTW-LGA that at T8 had 11 FC seats open, at T7 it was down to 6 at the gate was #4 with 1 seat open.

I was on a T fare but a DM with Reserve (like that works ) I never had a chance of an upgrade

There absolutely are people buying the P fares, have them next to me all the time, one next to me a few months ago was not even a elite and told me there was a $5 difference from the coach fare and the P fare when he booked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.