Old Jul 25, 2012, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
AA Starting to Poach DM's?

deleted

MO
Old Jul 25, 2012, 4:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At the oneworld mega DO launch party, AA gave me the impression of being uninterested in current DL HVCs and not even trying. This was at the same time as they clearly did want UA 1Ks. When asked why their special status challenge offer to EXP didn't apply to DL DMs as well as UA 1Ks, they acted like they had never thought of it. It did not give a good impression.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
It is good business sense based on "Art of War" to take advantage of enemies in a weaken/uncertain state.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
UA has a bit more natural overlap of AA customers hence going after them...
Old Jul 25, 2012, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tentseller
It is good business sense based on "Art of War" to take advantage of enemies in a weaken/uncertain state.
Then shouldn't DL be poaching EXPs?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Now I can tell the whole story...

A few months ago AA was offering UA 1K's a match to Executive Platinum with no challenge. I sent an email to AA asking for a match from DM. AA's response was to offer a standard challenge to Platinum and I decided not to take them up.

Fast forward to a few days ago and I receive this email:

"At the time that our original reply was sent, the message that you
received was accurate. However, we continuously reevaluate our exception
making guidelines, in order to make fair and sound business decisions.
That said, we have made some changes and would like to revisit your
request to match your Delta Diamond Medallion status to our AAdvantage
Executive Platinum(r) status."

I sent them a scan of my DM card and have been given EXP status thru 2/28/2013 (same as DM status). Also, AA offered that if I fly 45k between now and 12/31/2012, AA will extend the EXP status thru 2/28/2014.

MO
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:26 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
MachOne,

That is one impressive offer from AA. I'd jump on it in a second if I were mad at DL for some reason, or any UA flyer, which goes without saying
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:35 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes, but the operative words are "should be". DL does not appear hungry or motivated enough to make that a "will be".

A few years from now, I think business school marketing programs will be looking at the contrast between UA and AA to show why the former failed and the latter succeeded.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 6:33 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bowgie
That is one impressive offer from AA. I'd jump on it in a second if I were mad at DL for some reason, or any UA flyer, which goes without saying
Can't seem to find the impressive part. Status match for the remainder of this year? Maybe good for ego but worthless except for when you actually fly AA.

Fly ~9K/mo with AA for the balance of the year? Seems many here get to DM with AmEx spend so this wouldn't work for them. For those of us who actually fly avg 10K+/mo BIS, it's an option but IMO, only a serious consideration for those looking to switch to AA for good.

As for being mad at DL... if that was a criteria to switch airlines, the DL forum here would shut down do to lack of activity as everyone here would be over on the AA forum.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
AA took advantage of the chaos at UA and offered disgruntled UA elites an option. Brilliant move, IMO. Thousands jumped at the chance and apparently AA is very pleased with the uptick in revenue for the former UA 1K/GSs. Now that they have digested the new UA EXPs, someone at DFW probably suggested why not try DL. While some might jump at the offer, I suspect that the general lack of unhappiness here will temper their success this time.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 7:27 am

So is DL matching AA EXP's and if so to what?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Can't seem to find the impressive part. Status match for the remainder of this year? Maybe good for ego but worthless except for when you actually fly AA.

Fly ~9K/mo with AA for the balance of the year? Seems many here get to DM with AmEx spend so this wouldn't work for them. For those of us who actually fly avg 10K+/mo BIS, it's an option but IMO, only a serious consideration for those looking to switch to AA for good.

As for being mad at DL... if that was a criteria to switch airlines, the DL forum here would shut down do to lack of activity as everyone here would be over on the AA forum.
I'm not "mad at Delta" per se. I accepted the offer (no risk involved) and can easily do the 45k by the end of the year. I am giving some careful consideration base don the following points:

1. LAX is a jumping off point for most of my travel to Asia or Australia. In my home market, DL ended a 10 year codeshare arrangement to LAX. That really screws transferring at LAX and leaves me with 1 1/2 hr flights on CRJ200's to SLC (and no sign that will ever change). AA offers the ERJ's to LAX (35 minute flight) and real jets to DFW.

2. AA code shares with Alaska as well as DL. Alaska has improved there presence in my home market. So they're even there.

3. Currently AA has better pricing to overseas destinations (that I travel to) than DL.

4. If there is a merger with US, then I suspect connections in the Western US will improve.

MO
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by SFO777
AA took advantage of the chaos at UA and offered disgruntled UA elites an option. Brilliant move, IMO. Thousands jumped at the chance and apparently AA is very pleased with the uptick in revenue for the former UA 1K/GSs. Now that they have digested the new UA EXPs, someone at DFW probably suggested why not try DL. While some might jump at the offer, I suspect that the general lack of unhappiness here will temper their success this time.
I think the "kick 'em when their down" approach has worked well for AA. I fly both DL and AA extensively. Of late, when on AA flights in first, I often run into 1Ks who jumped to AA. The point is that they are flying AA not just picking up an additional status. Over on the AA threads, there is a lot of chatter about how badly new CEO Tom Horton is managing the company in bankruptcy, and the chatter may generally be right, but this poaching of UA high mileage flyers at at time when UA is trying to sort out merger problems is a good move. Enticing 1Ks to leave a potentially good carrier once merger issues are resolved, to come to your bankrupt carrier is a significant success.

Last edited by ksweeney; Jul 28, 2012 at 12:23 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No. DL prefers kettles over entitled elites.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Originally Posted by javabytes
No. DL prefers kettles over entitled elites.
well said....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.