Wiki Posts
Search

LAX to DXB: Delta or ... ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2012, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, EY Plat, MM Senator
LAX to DXB: Delta or ... ?

Need to do a quick trip to the Arabian Peninsula (paid J). Considering LAX-ATL-DXB on DL. Could those of you who have taken the ATL-DXB flight please comment on the service? It is a 77L with flat beds, which is good, but how is the overall experience? Is DL a good choice, or go with AF or KE instead, or forget ST altogether and go with Emirates or Etihad (ultimately, I need to end up on the Red Sea coast, but Dubai or Abu Dhabi are a good start)? I am very familiar with DL's BE product on TPAC and TATL routes, but since this is one of the longer flights, perhaps DL puts its best foot forward? Any opinions are much appreciated. Thank you all for your input!
Old Jan 29, 2012, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Actually, you should considering to flying on EK. There is direct flight from LAX-DXB. You don't have go through ATL. Instead, you can take on EK is a right choice for you.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 9:06 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Originally Posted by N830MH
Actually, you should considering to flying on EK. There is direct flight from LAX-DXB. You don't have go through ATL. Instead, you can take on EK is a right choice for you.
Yea and EK J looks far better than DL.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:13 am

Just flew LAX-ATL-DXB and back last week and it's fine, but certainly not as great as flying EK J direct would be. If possible, definitely go for Emirates.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:28 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Not even a question; take the direct J flight on EK. Far superior seat, service, and overall product.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:43 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
If you're worried about miles, if you're flying after March 1, you can credit EK to Alaska (double miles until May 31).
Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:06 am

Programs: DL Platinum
Originally Posted by amolkold
If you're worried about miles, if you're flying after March 1, you can credit EK to Alaska (double miles until May 31).
Now that is useful information. Makes me want to sign up for an Alaska account and fly EK just for that!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:39 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by s1c3r1a1b3b3l1e1
Now that is useful information. Makes me want to sign up for an Alaska account and fly EK just for that!
I opened an AS account today! It makes the HKG-BKK r/t I'm taking on the EK A380 in April that much more worth it! ^
Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:40 am

77L is Delta's best product but EK for sure
Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:53 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by s1c3r1a1b3b3l1e1
Just be aware that AS no longer offers class of service bonuses on many partners. Just saw it posted on One Mile at a Time...

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemil...tner-airlines/
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:03 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
Originally Posted by nfg05:17913659
77L is Delta's best product but EK for sure
+1 Couldn't say it any better.

Plus the EK lounge in DXB is *far* better than the AF lounge to which DL BE pax get access. If you do fly DL, use the PP lounge instead.

Last edited by irfan23; Jan 30, 2012 at 6:16 am
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Deemus7
Just be aware that AS no longer offers class of service bonuses on many partners. Just saw it posted on One Mile at a Time...

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemil...tner-airlines/
Correct. This truly bites!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: DL DM. EK Gold. UA1K. BA Silver. SPG Plat. HH. Diamond.
EK comfort and service is much better, and a direct flight. To me, Delta does not give a great overseas service, they do much better domestic. The DL 777 is looking a bit worn, I flew it the other day and it was filthy. The EK fast track upon arrival in Dubai works great. Their lounge is overcrowded and a big letdown, but the airport is really nice, full of good shopping. Have flown both, and EK is a much more pleasant experience.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, EY Plat, MM Senator
Thank you all for the responses! The consensus is clear (I flew EK in F recently, it is a superb product indeed. J looked great too. Thought that DL's ultra-long-haul 77L service may be better than their regular TATL/TPAC BE). Things got slightly more complicated, need to travel from MIA now, but should be able to connect via JFK. EK has a 380 flight late in the evening.

Thanks and safe travels to everyone!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by glbetrotter
Need to do a quick trip to the Arabian Peninsula (paid J). Considering LAX-ATL-DXB on DL. Could those of you who have taken the ATL-DXB flight please comment on the service? It is a 77L with flat beds, which is good, but how is the overall experience? Is DL a good choice, or go with AF or KE instead, or forget ST altogether and go with Emirates or Etihad (ultimately, I need to end up on the Red Sea coast, but Dubai or Abu Dhabi are a good start)? I am very familiar with DL's BE product on TPAC and TATL routes, but since this is one of the longer flights, perhaps DL puts its best foot forward? Any opinions are much appreciated. Thank you all for your input!
Take EK or KL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.