Japanese Citizen Arrested on DL flight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DLDM
Japanese Citizen Arrested on DL flight

http://www.khon2.com/news/local/stor...4dtRkGtFg.cspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaFPDYb_xOg

"A 65-year-old Japanese national was taken into federal custody after allegedly punching and slapping a flight attendant on board Delta flight 608 to Honolulu from Tokyo."
Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Blueberry13

"A 65-year-old Japanese national was taken into federal custody after allegedly punching and slapping a flight attendant on board Delta flight 608 to Honolulu from Tokyo."
The son who was getting married in Hawaii must have been pretty embarrassed that his Dad was arrested on the inbound flight!

Its weird how alcohol affects people differently...some get angry and violent, others get chatty and happy, others loud and stupid, and others just fall asleep..
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Perhaps he thought that he can do anything he wants because he was in BE.......Anyhow, very irresponsible behavior to say the least.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: DL DM/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Its weird how alcohol affects people differently...some get angry and violent, others get chatty and happy, others loud and stupid, and others just fall asleep..
I sat next to a lady a few months ago who seem to go through all of these during the course of a single flight. Luckily the angry (not really violent) only lasted a minute or two when she was told to turn off her phone, and when she woke up from her nap she was back to chatty and happy, and somehow convinced me to do a tequila shot before we landed. First class newbies are always good for at least a laugh or two
Old Jan 11, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
That's totally inappropriate behavior. The correct thing to do is to wait until you get home, write DL saying how this is a new low and threaten to never fly with them again, ask for 30,000 miles and 10 upgrade certificates good for any fare.

After that, coming here and posting about it!

THAT's proper etiquette.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM

We will never know what instigated his anger, and fueled by alcohol in his system, how he understood something that either the FA did or said ... or how did the FA react to something he did or said?

Cultural differences .....!!!
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:52 pm

I've done that flight before. It's a heavy leisure route. My experiences in Japan have are:

1) Japanese salarymen know how to get intoxicated (most work 1/2 days on Saturday so they have to fit the party in).

2) Domestic abuse is a serious problem and is rarely reported. Things the US was doing about the issue in the 70s just started in Japan in the 2000s.

The guy is lucky this happened in on the way to the US. In Japan the prosecutors office can hold you for months before ever seeing a judge.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Perhaps he thought that he can do anything he wants because he was in BE.......Anyhow, very irresponsible behavior to say the least.
Yes, he is very inappropriate behavior and he could deserve banned flying on DL for the life. He did wrong thing to do. He can't slap on FA. That's wrong! He can't be bothered on FA and he have respect to FA and let's FA is doing their job.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I've been on two DL flights where Japanese nationals got arrested. One was NRT DTW... guys slapped his girlfriend and the Feds picked him up in DTW. The other was NRT SPN, where an elderly Japanese man was cuffed and pulled off the flight in SPN (reason unknown). Never seen it with any other nationalities. I guess since Japanese are normally unruly and disorderly, they are much more likely to get arrested.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 5khours
I've been on two DL flights where Japanese nationals got arrested. One was NRT DTW... guys slapped his girlfriend and the Feds picked him up in DTW. The other was NRT SPN, where an elderly Japanese man was cuffed and pulled off the flight in SPN (reason unknown). Never seen it with any other nationalities. I guess since Japanese are normally unruly and disorderly, they are much more likely to get arrested.
I don't think it's right to draw a distinctive demarcation to categorize that "Japanese are normally unruly" because that's completely counterfactual. However, I do think that there are those "people" who has no fundamental morals regardless of his or her ethnicity or citizenship.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wonder if the slap on the FAs shoulder could have been an attempt to get her attention, more of a tap on the shoulder if she ignored the call light.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wonder if the slap on the FAs shoulder could have been an attempt to get her attention, more of a tap on the shoulder if she ignored the call light.
Maybe she wagged her finger at him.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Doby
Yeah, good idea!! I like that! ^^^
Old Jan 11, 2012, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Doby
That would be offensive in some cultures.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 6:44 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If I just need to get her attention because she is slow bringing me another drink, I just give a slap on the butt.

On a serious note, why does everybody care about the pax being Japanese? I kind of think all societies have their fare share of these jerks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.