Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Expedited Immigration / Customs in ATL for US Citizens

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

It looks like Delta has a new program in ATL for US citizens traveling without checked luggage. Yesterday (arriving from LHR) was the first time I saw it.

As you exit the plane, you get a laminated card, and can use the "Crew" lane at immigration and the "Global Entry" lane at customs. I am using Global Entry myself, so I didn't participate. The availability of the card was announced as the door opened. The announcement wasn't very well done, and I doubt many passengers understood it given that the everybody was busy getting their carry on. In the jet way, they had two people handing out the cards, and you turned it in to a person that guarded the global entry customs lane. No sky mile status required.

Overall lines in ATL were about average at the time. Global entry was still a bit faster as there was a short line in the crew lane (maybe 10 people)

I didn't see any Diamond Medallion greeters that some people mentioned before.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
They should not be giving every entering US citizen access to the GE lines. This is horrible for people who have paid for GE. I could perhaps see doing this for those seated in BE who are not non revs or for DMs and maybe PMs, but everyone who takes the card?????
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:34 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Perhaps there is an arrangement for DL Business Class passengers to use the crew lane, but unless one is enrolled in Global Entry, using the kiosk will do you no good, as you must be registered to be recognized.

It does seem odd to me that DHS would agree to an arrangement that gives priority for entry to one group of passengers through the crew lane.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:12 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
They should not be giving every entering US citizen access to the GE lines. This is horrible for people who have paid for GE. I could perhaps see doing this for those seated in BE who are not non revs or for DMs and maybe PMs, but everyone who takes the card?????
I would be furious if I had to wait at the GE kiosks due to this new 'program'.

More reason to avoid ATL if at all possible.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by underattack
I didn't see any Diamond Medallion greeters that some people mentioned before.
I believe this is currently only for JFK.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
Originally Posted by 98103:17618724
Perhaps there is an arrangement for DL Business Class passengers to use the crew lane, but unless one is enrolled in Global Entry, using the kiosk will do you no good, as you must be registered to be recognized.
True, but it could still be annoying for us if they all go to the kiosks and keep trying to get them to work only to discover they can't. Sort if like the person who brings 20 items to the 6 item or less express lane, just time consuming for those of us who have 1 item
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:39 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
When I came into ATL from MTY on Friday, I noticed a large group of pax being directed toward the crew lane. 2 or 3 "greeters" with orange (I think) maybe green, construction type vests were telling anyone with a laminated card to go there. The cards, from what I could see from a distance, looked orange or maroon in color. The pax mostly looked like vacationing once-a-year (kettle) types, so I would certainly think that most of them had luggage. Maybe this is some OTHER program.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
just to clarify: This does not provide access to the Global Entry kiosk, just to the crew line which tends to be shorter then the normal line. Global Entry was still faster. Also, this was not linked to being a Business Elite or Medallion passenger. Kettle Class in Row 95 could us it. The only requirement was "US Citizen + no checked bags".

I assume that the "no checked bags" rule limits the number of passengers on an international arrival. Also, if you have a checked bag, you probably would still have to wait for your bag after a normal immigration inspection.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 2:43 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Also, if you have a checked bag, you probably would still have to wait for your bag after a normal immigration inspection.
Yes, exactly, so, why would it matter to this program - whatever it is - if a pax has a checked bag or not?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 2:43 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
just to clarify: This does not provide access to the Global Entry kiosk, just to the crew line which tends to be shorter then the normal line. Global Entry was still faster. Also, this was not linked to being a Business Elite or Medallion passenger. Kettle Class in Row 95 could us it. The only requirement was "US Citizen + no checked bags".
I understood exactly what you wrote in your OP. Nothing to do with GE or using GE kiosks. Some people don't read well, others like to get their knickers in a knot - it is the DL forum after all.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
just to clarify: This does not provide access to the Global Entry kiosk, just to the crew line which tends to be shorter then the normal line.
And real Global Entry users, after completing the kiosk, can go to the front of the crew line anyway.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 4:37 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Now if they would just hurry up and finish the new terminal so I'd have a way to get out without doing the TSA circus again!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:39 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
And real Global Entry users, after completing the kiosk, can go to the front of the crew line anyway.
Huh? They don't even go to the crew line at all. GE then right to baggage claim and/or customs.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
What's ironic is those of us who have GE, get to sail through immigration and then--if we have checked bags--just get to wait longer at baggage claim for our bags to arrive...
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:58 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
What's ironic is those of us who have GE, get to sail through immigration and then--if we have checked bags--just get to wait longer at baggage claim for our bags to arrive...
Exactly and is one of the main reasons I would not have gotten GE except that AX reimbursed my fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.