Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Pilot killed in crash at Kansas City Air Show

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2011, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/20/mis...how/index.html

Thoughts go out to his family.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 8:42 pm

Here's a biography from a Minneapolis airshow that happened a month or two ago.

http://www.greatminnesotaairshow.com...yanJensen.aspx
Old Aug 20, 2011, 8:42 pm

Sad deal. We thought about going to that air show today, but other things came up. Glad we didnt go now. Missed another airshow crash by one day about 20 years ago in OKC, went on day 1, crash happened the next day.

I fly out of this airport a lot, and at least the accident happened on the field, minimizing casualties.. downtown is VERY close by, although I'm sure the airshow airspace would have surely kept pilots away from there. Looks like the crash site is no more than a hundred yards or so from where our C172 is tied down.

T&P's for this man and his family.

Edit:
There's actual video of the crash on kshb.com. I'm not an aerobatic pilot by any means, but I would think once the plane started making that nosedive it would have been extremely difficult to pull out of it.. so I wonder if something mechanically went wrong at that point. Will be interesting to read the NTSB findings.

Last edited by osupike17; Aug 20, 2011 at 9:02 pm
Old Aug 20, 2011, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

osupike - I would say the designated air show space was more to the west this year. We live on the Kansas side and heard a lot of action overhead this morning. Although, we lived in Downtown KC during last year's show and had many planes flying right overhead.

Again, T&Ps to his family.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! Very sorry to hear from him. My condolences with his family. Unfortunately, he didn't survived or ejected from the plane. I am very sad news to hear for DL pilot who crash at Air Show.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Sad news

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.