Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Better use of $300-Transfer miles or buy ticket-Thoughts needed???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres

This post got me thinking...

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemil...ransfer-bonus/

Here's a few points:
-My wife has 26,000 miles
-She needs to go to PIT in late Sept.
-Cost for the flight is $293.00 or 25,000 miles

She could care less about EARNING miles--

So I am thinking about transferring 25,000 miles from her account to mine-which would cost $280 and thus, I'd have 50,000 miles-Spend the 25,000 miles on her ticket-
Same amount of $$$ spent and I've have an "extra" 25,000 miles in my account for who knows what

Thoughts?
Old Aug 14, 2011, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Your account nets 27,000 miles from this transaction after you have used your miles for an award ticket. Her account is emptied.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 2:43 pm

It sounds like you are sold on spending the ~$300?

The third option would be just redeeming her miles for her flight and not spending the money to chase extra miles.

If you feel you are going to get more than $300 of value out of the extra 25K miles, then go for it.

Personally, I wouldn't buy the revenue ticket.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
Well she has a $75 voucher that expires soon...
Old Aug 14, 2011, 6:04 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
It is a tough call. If you bought her ticket, she would also have 25K miles that you could use sometime. And she would earn miles on the paid ticket. Seems like that is easier than the transfer for $300.

Plus, if you bought her ticket, it costs $293 = $75, correct?

DL miles can be used for low level awards, but it is very tough.

But there is no reason at all to transfer miles for $300 then use your miles for her ticket. If that was what you were going to do, just spend the $300 on the revenue ticket and leave the miles in her account. Same net difference, except that she will now have a few thousand more miles. Even though you said SHE could care less about earning miles, you certainly seem to care about it. I would rather spend $300 (actually $293 - $75), have 26K miles and earn more miles on a revenue ticket than spend $300 and have 27K miles.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

All good Points. But I would also have a ticket too for $300 and I would have 25k miles

But might just buy ticket.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 7:34 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by twoner32
All good Points. But I would also have a ticket too for $300 and I would have 25k miles

But might just buy ticket.
Whether you transfer the miles then use miles to buy the ticket or you purchase the ticket with $300 cash and leave the miles where they are, your net result is that you will have +-25K miles (just in your wife's account, not yours). I don't understand your point.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 7:41 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by twoner32
Well she has a $75 voucher that expires soon...
Use the voucher buy the ticket. = 220$ cost.

If you still want, you can now spend 330$ to move 26k miles to your account = not useful; you will have 52k miles for 330$ in 1 account.

If you want you can wait until she travels = 3k more miles = 29k miles transfer for 320$ will get you 58k miles in your account.

For you to spend 300$ to move 26k miles first to your account will just get you 52k miles - 25k for ticket = 27k miles for the 300$ + you can not use the voucher = 75$ loss. so 27k miles for 400$ = certainly not worth it.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:02 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
If you were transferring to get just enough miles for a J ticket that's worth more, then it would be easier to justify transferring i think.

otherwise you are just buying 25K miles for $280 and losing on the miles and mqm's you would get by just buying the ticket

Unless you feel that you can get secondary gain by transferring control of her miles to you, for example so that you can later book a LAS trip under the guise of "it's free honey"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.