Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Non-Rev ASA Pilot's Unprofessional Rant

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum

Just finished a flight from MDW-DTW. A non-rev ASA pilot was sitting behind me. During boarding he decided to take the opportunity to check in with his mother...always a nice thing to do.

The gentleman was kind enough to be speaking so loud everyone around him could share in his conversation. Of note:

1. ASA "does not have enough employees" to operate their summer schedule.

2. Pilots are not answering the phone when ASA calls them to pick up extra routes. To do so would "send the message that they can get away with understaffing us."

3. A couple of weeks ago half of the ASA FAs did not get their direct deposit payroll. ASA had to cut manual checks and mail them to the employee's homes. Seems this pilot thinks this was done intentionally and that "they would never do that to the pilots be we have a strong union and we'd sue them immediately."

While I fully support this gentleman's right to express his frustrations with his employer, I'm struck by the stupidity of doing so with a plane full of your customers. Are people so stupid that they honestly think that others can't hear their conversations and just because they're in street clothes we can't figure out they work for the airline.

Yet another fine example of ASA and their employees demonstrating why they have earned the reputation they have.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
ASA: Always Sucky Attitudes!
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Please don't discuss patient care in the elevator doc
Old Jun 28, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Assuming you were in Y, perhaps he figured that his fellow passengers wouldn't know enough about the airline industry to understand what he was talking about?
Old Jun 28, 2011, 1:07 pm

'ASA' and 'Unprofessional' is redundant. This commuter operation needs to go.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 1:13 pm
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Perhaps it was 100% intentional. Now tons of FTers who may not have known how bad it is there are aware. Whether or not we can do anything about it is a different story.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Just finished a flight from MDW-DTW.

All airlines try to staff minimally. ASA is no exception. Certain times of the year they are overstaffed (winter usually).

2. Pilots are not answering the phone when ASA calls them to pick up extra routes. To do so would "send the message that they can get away with understaffing us."

This is called junior manning. If you answer your phone on your day off then they (airline) can force you to work ( even if you are out of town, would could still get in trouble). Therefore it is common not to answer the phone on your day off. Again many regional airlines have the same rules.

3. A couple of weeks ago half of the ASA FAs did not get their direct deposit payroll. ASA had to cut manual checks and mail them to the employee's homes. Seems this pilot thinks this was done intentionally and that "they would never do that to the pilots be we have a strong union and we'd sue them immediately."

I have no knowledge of this, therefore I won't answer either way. But I do believe it was not done on purpose. Otherwise it could be seen as an illegal action towards with the Railway Labor Act.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
Please don't discuss patient care in the elevator doc
EXACTLY!!!
Old Jun 28, 2011, 2:38 pm

Programs: Starwood
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Just finished a flight from MDW-DTW. A non-rev ASA pilot was sitting behind me. During boarding he decided to take the opportunity to check in with his mother...always a nice thing to do.

The gentleman was kind enough to be speaking so loud everyone around him could share in his conversation. Of note:

While I fully support this gentleman's right to express his frustrations with his employer, I'm struck by the stupidity of doing so with a plane full of your customers. Are people so stupid that they honestly think that others can't hear their conversations and just because they're in street clothes we can't figure out they work for the airline.

Yet another fine example of ASA and their employees demonstrating why they have earned the reputation they have.
hmmm...sadly this bad behaviour occurs a lot, not just with ASA/Delta employees....the pilot in this case needs some discipline as he was discussing confidential info in the presence of customers....I doubt the "Pilots Union" will support his foolish actions.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:34 pm

I'm a flight attendant for Atlantic Southeast Airlines and have received all of my checks through direct depsosit. Never had an issue. - Never heard of a rumor concerning a problem either. In any case, his attitute was unprofessional and I hope that you will have more pleasent experience with Atlantic Southeast in the future.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by naijaman
hmmm...sadly this bad behaviour occurs a lot, not just with ASA/Delta employees....the pilot in this case needs some discipline as he was discussing confidential info in the presence of customers....I doubt the "Pilots Union" will support his foolish actions.
Not really proper etiquette by the pilot but not at all surprising. A lot of people seem to be more and more free with their conversations on planes these days.

That being said I didn't read about anything confidential being leaked. Most of it seemed to be his opinion or outright hearsay.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I have never had an issue with ASA pilots or F/A's. Having said that, I do HATE ASA. It is not the crews, it is the operation:

Systemic maintenance problems

Systemic crew scheduling problems

Broken air conditioning last summer on the majority of the flights

I have to say I really appreciate the fact that ASA pilots do not elect to fly the broken aircraft.

I started booking away from ASA whenever possible a few months back and it has made my life a lot easier. I have not experienced the same problems on the other connection carriers.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 8:50 am
doh

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, HHonors Diamond VIP
Ah, the regional airline days. I remember them well. Being ordered to do illegal things by the Chief Pilot's Office, contract violations by the score, vacation cancellations and having days off suddenly filled with even more 16 hour duty days followed by 8 hour rests! Oh the memories! My wife says if you get me started, and it's been six years since my escape, my voice will rise until I'm shouting. It's not the pilot's fault. He is unaware that his voice is so loud you can hear him. Unfortunately, there are no flying jobs for him to escape to right now. Fly safe my brother, fly safe.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:00 am
doh

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, HHonors Diamond VIP
And I almost forgot to mention that this poor pilot is stuck in the worst airline system in the U.S. Delta is truly the Evil Empire. And it is extending to their customers. Anti-soldier, anti-Israeli, is it any wonder he is frustrated?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by doh
And I almost forgot to mention that this poor pilot is stuck in the worst airline system in the U.S. Delta is truly the Evil Empire. And it is extending to their customers. Anti-soldier, anti-Israeli, is it any wonder he is frustrated?
You forgot to mention that all you are doing is spewing a bunch of misinformation. Were you the guy on the phone?

Anti-soldier? The soldiers CO told them they could check 4 bags so I guess that makes it law right? The limit in place was enforced and should have been adhered to or changed at only at DL's discretion...not because some SGT told Gomer he could check as many bags as he wanted to. I suppose if the SGT told the soldiers they could sit in F then DL would have been wrong for making them fly Y! Ridonkulous media driven story.

Anti-Israeli? Really? You're going to buy that one too? DL joins an alliance with Saudi Arabian Airlines so now they are anti-Israel? The facts are in on this and by now everyone knows DL doesn't fly to Saudi. People of Jewish faith are unlikely to be granted a visa (or want a visa) for travel to the KSA and these policies are not new and have nothing to do with DL. So I guess if by your logic DL is anti-Israeli for joining an alliance than I suppose you may want to move from the USA as the KSA is in fact an ally of this country. Perhaps we are all as residents of the USA - anti-Israel in your eyes?

Keep lapping up the media koolaid and let me say what a good idea that was for you to retire from flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.