Wiki Posts
Search

Dying woman granted flight on Delta.

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2011, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k
Dying woman granted flight on Delta.

I'm a regular UA flyer, but Kudos to Delta..... Interesting that they overshadowed one of their alliance partners. Can see both sides though.....

Glad she could make it home.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43022135...s-south-korea/
Old May 13, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Platinum
^ Good job, Delta!

Thanks for posting!
Old May 13, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Kudos to Delta.

I am sure there were some very sad non-revs that they didn't get their Business Class seats that day.
Old May 13, 2011, 1:07 pm

Actually, the article says they upgraded her to first class (not business). ^
Old May 13, 2011, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Don't they still have to connect to a KL flight once they land in NRT and face this refusal again?
Old May 13, 2011, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by HikerT
Actually, the article says they upgraded her to first class (not business). ^
Delta doesn't have international First Class.
Old May 13, 2011, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by DLATL777
Kudos to Delta.

I am sure there were some very sad non-revs that they didn't get their Business Class seats that day.

Surely if the non-revs knew the reason for the upgrades they would join those applauding. Not sure if a DM would react the same way though...
Old May 13, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
Don't they still have to connect to a KL flight once they land in NRT and face this refusal again?
No, they can take the DL NRT-ICN 75A connection....
Old May 13, 2011, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Congratulations to whoever at Delta made that 'compassionate' decision at Delta.
Great Job!
Old May 13, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: EVA Infinity Delta Skymiles
KUDO's to DELTA

I am very impressed with Delta's kindness. Bravo Delta!!!

TG
Old May 13, 2011, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jpmardini
^ Good job, Delta!

Thanks for posting!
I would say ^ to the person who made the decision. Two different people would make different decisions in the same situation. It's people who think beyond "Our policy is......" that make the difference in lives of people.
May years ago, one of my friends dies of a massive heart attack. He was 38. I was shaken. I was looking for a fare to go to his funeral. I couldn't get bereavement discount as it's only for family. In my conversation with a USAIr rep, I told her that, my friend and were in school together, and came to study in the U.S. the same year. Neither, he nor, I had any family, as defined for bereavement fares, here. But the truth is he is the only "family" I had here, as we were family to each other. She said "That's good enough for me. She got a supervisor to OK the fare.

We usually give credit to the company but always forget the people who step outside the box to make things happen, when rules sticklers will always say "it's against our policy".
Old May 13, 2011, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
"At the end of the day, we have rules and guidelines in place, but there are special circumstances that take employees adding some flexibility," Delta spokesperson Susan Chana Elliott said. "The accommodation of this passenger is an illustration of our employees being empowered to do the right thing."

^^

Kudos, and kudos for the rationale.

Selfishly, I hope this is also a turnaround moment for Delta employees being reminded of their flexibility and empowerment to do the right thing.
Old May 13, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by Yaatri
I would say ^ to the person who made the decision. Two different people would make different decisions in the same situation. It's people who think beyond "Our policy is......" that make the difference in lives of people.
May years ago, one of my friends dies of a massive heart attack. He was 38. I was shaken. I was looking for a fare to go to his funeral. I couldn't get bereavement discount as it's only for family. In my conversation with a USAIr rep, I told her that, my friend and were in school together, and came to study in the U.S. the same year. Neither, he nor, I had any family, as defined for bereavement fares, here. But the truth is he is the only "family" I had here, as we were family to each other. She said "That's good enough for me. She got a supervisor to OK the fare.

We usually give credit to the company but always forget the people who step outside the box to make things happen, when rules sticklers will always say "it's against our policy".
Yes, it is the individuals who make things like this happen, but it is the company that "sets the stage" for them to happen by hiring the right people, training them and creating the environment to allow them to make the compassionate decisions. The question is would this be more likely to happen at Delta than at airline X? And would DL have stood behind the employees if the outcome had not been so positive and the other passengers had to witness an unfortunate situation. I'd like to think that the answer is yes to both.
Old May 13, 2011, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
^ Delta, Korean

I hope the woman or her family lodge a complaint with the FAA regarding this.
Old May 13, 2011, 3:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
big, big ^^ for delta right here. This is how things should be done, human compassion above absurd rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.