Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Metal Change - DL Reservations Proactive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold

Wow - I'm amazed...just got off the phone with reservations - they called me, said there is an aircraft change for my BOS-LHR flights in June and wondered if I booked these flights due to lie-flat seats or schedule - I said lie-flat. Here's our conversation:

DL Rep: Wow, most travelers don't know about lie-flat and other jargon
Me: I do thanks to FlyerTalk
DL Rep: That's great - are you open to a new itinerary on aircraft with lie-flat?
Me: Absolutely as long as it doesn't cost me anything extra
DL Rep: Are your travel plans flexible?
Me: Yes - I can in fact leave from BOS, DTW, MSP or ATL so whatever works go ahead
DL Rep: Please hold - she comes back are you okay with non-stop from MSP?
Me: Ummm yea!!! Trying not to jump through the phone and hug her rather than sitting in BOS for a 3+ hour layover
DL Rep - okay you are confirmed non-stop MSP-LHR same date(s), gives me new time(s).
Me: Can you assign me seats or should I do it when I see the new itinerary?
DL Rep: I can do it, do you want middle or windows?
Me: I prefer windows back behind at least row 3
DL Rep: May I ask why?
Me: Complaints about galley noise and lights
DL Rep: Hmmm never heard that before - I'll have to look into this - okay you are confirmed in row 7 both ways. Is there anything else I can do for you?
Me: No, you already made my day - what's your name so I can give a shout out for being proactive? One more question, why the aircraft change?
DL Rep: We thought we'd be able to reconfigure a lot more of our aircraft with lie-flat, but it's moving a lot slower than originally planned.

There are many things wrong with Delta, but sometimes they get it right. Thanks Hillary!
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FetePerfection
Wow - I'm amazed...just got off the phone with reservations - they called me, said there is an aircraft change for my BOS-LHR flights in June and wondered if I booked these flights due to lie-flat seats or schedule - I said lie-flat. Here's our conversation:

DL Rep: That's great - are you open to a new itinerary on aircraft with lie-flat?
Me: Yes - I can in fact leave from BOS, DTW, MSP or ATL so whatever works go ahead
Me: Ummm yea!!! Trying not to jump through the phone and hug her rather than sitting in BOS for a 3+ hour layover
DL Rep - okay you are confirmed non-stop MSP-LHR same date(s), gives me new time(s).
DL Rep: Hmmm never heard that before - I'll have to look into this - okay you are confirmed in row 7 both ways. Is there anything else I can do for you?
Me: No, you already made my day - what's your name so I can give a shout out for being proactive? One more question, why the aircraft change?
DL Rep: We thought we'd be able to reconfigure a lot more of our aircraft with lie-flat, but it's moving a lot slower than originally planned.

There are many things wrong with Delta, but sometimes they get it right. Thanks Hillary!
Nice! Oh, to be able to dial those competent CSRs direct... Or is it non-stop
Old Apr 14, 2011, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
It was a nice proactive approach

I had the same conversation today as the OP did. Ironically, I was just reading about the equipment changes when the phone rang.

Had great service figuring out what the best alternative schedule would be and I'm now back in the lie-flat seating TATL to LHR.

BTW, I also chose the seats further back on these flights because of the clanging coming from the galley. I was farther up last month and essentially had to give up the effort to sleep because of the noise coming from the in-flight crew.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cottonpatch
BTW, I also chose the seats further back on these flights because of the clanging coming from the galley. I was farther up last month and essentially had to give up the effort to sleep because of the noise coming from the in-flight crew.
Now if we could get the message to the flight crew to mindful of sleeping pax, this would make the experience perfect.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
I've had similar in the past. Going home flight to JAX was all messed up (I can't remember the exact circumstances but they apparently were a hundred seats short!) and they called to see what flexibility I had. I told them several alternative airports and she asked if MCO or TPA would work.

I said yes and she was pleased and offered to pay my limo fare home. Not bad, but no limo at that time from TPA and I mentioned I lived halfway between JAX and TPA and it was not a problem for my ride to come from the opposite direction.

She put me on hold and came back asking if 12,500 miles would be fair for the "inconvenience." !!! It must have been some JAX mess!
Old Apr 14, 2011, 2:08 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FetePerfection

Do you mean you changed to MSP-LHR-MSP, dropping BOS altogether?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vatraveler
Do you mean you changed to MSP-LHR-MSP, dropping BOS altogether?
Yes - dropping BOS...not sure if it short changes me MQM miles but at this point my priorities, screwed up as they may be, are lie-flight then non-stop which actually gives me 2+ more hours in nice seats.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Does the 757 downgrade also apply to the DL145 LHR-BOS flight? The seatmap is still showing a 764...

Booked a pair of economy tickets on DL145 last night, and the 3 abreast seating on the 757 is way less ideal than the 2 abreast seating on a 76x - so would like to call and get the itinerary fixed if so :|
Old Apr 14, 2011, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by BenA
Does the 757 downgrade also apply to the DL145 LHR-BOS flight? The seatmap is still showing a 764...

Booked a pair of economy tickets on DL145 last night, and the 3 abreast seating on the 757 is way less ideal than the 2 abreast seating on a 76x - so would like to call and get the itinerary fixed if so :|
Yes. According to the DL Desktop Timetable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.