Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta screws all ATL-HOU passengers this afternoon

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2010, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred & CP, Delta Diamond, HH Diamond Hyatt Diamond

Had some great seats for Monday night football this evening in Houston that I will basically have to flush down the toilet.

Had secured seats on the 1:51 flight arriving in Houston at 3:07. Flight was delayed twice, and then the gate agent came on and says, "they can't find our plane, the one that was to come in from Birmingham is being diverted for use elsewhere".

15 more minutes elapsed and our agent comes on and says, "sorry, we can't find a plane for you, the flight is canceled"

So we head down to try and catch the 4:00PM flight, knowing that it was probably fully booked. We get to the gate where the 4 PM flight is to depart, and the agent at that desk is announcing the EXACT SAME STORY! They can't find a plane to take you to HOU, so you're cancelled too?

The weather in Houston today, you ask? 50+ degrees and clear. And these two flights were the only cancellations on the board today.

In all my years of flying, I can't recall having back to back flights canceled because the planes that were going to take us to our destination just mysteriously went missing.

Delta screwed the pooch today. The big pooch. Me.

Now I get to eat over $200 worth of football tickets. Too bad there are no repercussions for this nonsense. I will be taking my business and FF status elsewhere after today. Last straw.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
And what about IAH...?
Old Dec 13, 2010, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Ravenboy2001
I will be taking my business and FF status elsewhere after today. Last straw.
I understand your frustration, just read another thread of mine today. But what are you going to do with another airline screws you just the same way?
Old Dec 13, 2010, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL KM
With the snow and cold situation in the north/midwest, it doesn't surprise me that it affected flights well out of that region. As we learned in our tour of the control ops area, things a long way away can affect traffic in areas with beautiful weather. For the person trying to make one of those flights, they think they're getting shafted.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL KM
Not surprising. Weather a long way from your situation can affect you. With the snow/cold in the north and midwest, I'm sure a bunch of planes got repositioned. They probably should have notified you earlier, though.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by indufan
I understand your frustration, just read another thread of mine today. But what are you going to do with another airline screws you just the same way?
bolding mine

I also wonder about this.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL GM / PC APM / SPG GM / GP PM
Originally Posted by Easy Victor
With the snow and cold situation in the north/midwest, it doesn't surprise me that it affected flights well out of that region. As we learned in our tour of the control ops area, things a long way away can affect traffic in areas with beautiful weather. For the person trying to make one of those flights, they think they're getting shafted.
If I hear this again, I just might scream
Old Dec 13, 2010, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mersk862
And what about IAH...?
The one flight left to IAH was oversold.

Went down to C terminal to try and catch AirTran, but they were oversold.

Picked a bad Monday to travel with all the weather nonsense this weekend.

My MAJOR issue with this is that Delta canceled back to back flights from ATL to HOU, and NOWHERE ELSE. The big board in the terminal showed two cancellations for the entire afternoon - both flights to HOU. It's like they handpicked HOU to be their whipping boy today.

Of course I will fly Delta again. The last straw comment comes from spur of the moment anger at not making the game tonight. I'll get over it.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL DM
I understand it’s reasonable to expect an airline to be on time, but it seems that you and your $200 of football tickets didn’t really build in much of a cushion to ensure you got to the game on time.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Had some great seats for Monday night football this evening in Houston that I will basically have to flush down the toilet.

Had secured seats on the 1:51 flight arriving in Houston at 3:07. Flight was delayed twice, and then the gate agent came on and says, "they can't find our plane, the one that was to come in from Birmingham is being diverted for use elsewhere".

15 more minutes elapsed and our agent comes on and says, "sorry, we can't find a plane for you, the flight is canceled"

So we head down to try and catch the 4:00PM flight, knowing that it was probably fully booked. We get to the gate where the 4 PM flight is to depart, and the agent at that desk is announcing the EXACT SAME STORY! They can't find a plane to take you to HOU, so you're cancelled too?

The weather in Houston today, you ask? 50+ degrees and clear. And these two flights were the only cancellations on the board today.

In all my years of flying, I can't recall having back to back flights canceled because the planes that were going to take us to our destination just mysteriously went missing.

Now I get to eat over $200 worth of football tickets. Too bad there are no repercussions for this nonsense. I will be taking my business and FF status elsewhere after today. Last straw.
Y are you doing this. You and I are PM. Don't talk to people - call the PM line. Have them find you a way to fly even to other locations then on to game. Most times PM desk will find solution fast! Just IMO!
Old Dec 13, 2010, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
another example of DYKWIA......DL didn't purposely screw anyone - infact weather causing planes and employees to be out of position cost them $$$$....then there's the fact that they have pax that are also out of position and the hotel rooms they are buying for Diamonds and Plats.....it sucks yes but see if they'll push your ticket to CO, it's not like there isn't other options (such as IAH as someone else already mentioned)
Old Dec 13, 2010, 2:57 pm

Realistically the only way to avoid this kind of issue is to fly a Low Cost Carrier that flies point to point. This is more or less an artifact of three and four city segment routes the metal makes. A mess up in any of them blows up everything else. Whereas most LCC fly back and forth between two point making the turns as quick as possible.

You give up F class, assigned seats and have to contend with a route network which can be subpar for many parts of the country. You gain better WX handling and little to no fees.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 3:03 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
My MAJOR issue with this is that Delta canceled back to back flights from ATL to HOU, and NOWHERE ELSE. The big board in the terminal showed two cancellations for the entire afternoon - both flights to HOU. It's like they handpicked HOU to be their whipping boy today.

Of course I will fly Delta again. The last straw comment comes from spur of the moment anger at not making the game tonight. I'll get over it.
Person assigning/swapping ships today must be a Falcons fan. Stinks for you though.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Winter Travel

Say, it is winter in the U.S. Things happen. Given your ticket purchase, you should go a day earlier the next time you fly any airline. Thanks for staying away from DL. Gives me a little more room.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by socrates
another example of DYKWIA......DL didn't purposely screw anyone - infact weather causing planes and employees to be out of position cost them $$$$....then there's the fact that they have pax that are also out of position and the hotel rooms they are buying for Diamonds and Plats.....it sucks yes but see if they'll push your ticket to CO, it's not like there isn't other options (such as IAH as someone else already mentioned)
Again, I understand this.. And a big xxxxxxxto your DYKWIA comment.

Just wondering why back to back flights to the same city were cancelled. That's what makes zero sense. Why not inconvenience 150 people to two separate cities and not 300 to the same city?

Last edited by obscure2k; Dec 13, 2010 at 5:05 pm Reason: Cleaned up some inappropriate language

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.