Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL to get new $1.2B home @ JFK

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Delta Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Four Seasons By Invitation, SPG Gold, #1 Club Gold, AmEx Plat
Talking DL to get new $1.2B home @ JFK

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/100809891

Delta Air Lines and the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey announced Thursday a $1.2 billion project to build a new terminal space at John F. Kennedy International Airport.

The Atlanta-based airline now inhabits Terminal 3 at the airport, which was built in 1960 and is known affectionately as the old PanAm Worldport. It was designed to serve an airport that handled about 5 million travelers per year, but of course JFK hosted more than 40 million travelers over the past 12 months—about a quarter of them flew Delta.

The airline and the Port Authority agreed to tear down the relic and build a brand-new terminal space in nearby Terminal 4 for Delta's international operations, to be completed in 2013.

The airline has been in talks with Port Authority officials for several months trying to negotiate financing for a new terminal. The deal announced Thursday involves the Port issuing about $900 million in special project bonds, which are considered limited obligations of the agency; up to $215 million in passenger facility charges—the “airport fee” tacked on to the price of the plane ticket, which requires approval from the Federal Aviation Administration; about $75 million in Delta equity.

For the past two years, Delta has been on a campaign to establish a major hub in New York City. It faces stiff competition at JFK from American Airlines and JetBlue Airways, both of which are operating out of state-of-the-art terminals built in the past couple of years.

Officials estimate that over the five years of construction, the terminal project will add 6,400 jobs and $1.8 billion in economic activity. Delta plans to break ground next spring.

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story failed to note the new terminal will be housed in Terminal 4.

http://www.panynj.gov/press-room/pre...adLine_id=1309

PORT AUTHORITY APPROVES CONSTRUCTION OF NEW STATE-OF-THE-ART TERMINAL SPACE FOR DELTA AIR LINES AT JFK AIRPORT

Date: Aug 05, 2010
Press Release Number: 54-2010

Board of Commissioners authorizes the overhaul of world-class Terminal 4 and demolition of the oldest terminal on airport, Terminal 3

The Port Authority Board of Commissioners today approved a plan for Delta Air Lines to build new state-of-the-art terminal space at John F. Kennedy International Airport’s Terminal 4 replacing the antiquated space the airline now occupies in Terminal 3.

Under the plan, Delta’s international traffic will move into Terminal 4 into nine newly constructed passenger gates and up to seven of the building’s existing gates, occupying 16 of the expanded terminal’s 25 total gates. Delta Air Lines handles almost a quarter of JFK’s annual passenger traffic. JFKIAT, the largest private terminal operator in the country, will continue to have overall responsibility for the management and operation of the terminal.

Once the new gates are built in Terminal 4, JFK’s existing Terminal 3 will be demolished to provide 16 additional aircraft parking spaces allowing Delta and other airlines to have increased access to their equipment and help alleviate congestion on airport runways and taxiways.

“John F. Kennedy Airport, one of the world’s busiest airports, will continue its transformation into one of the nation’s most state-of the-art airports with the approval of this plan and the construction of a new billion dollar extension to the international terminal,” said Governor Paterson. “The Terminal 4 expansion will not only help increase customer service for thousands of travelers and bring much-needed renovations and upgrades to handle the demands of 21st Century air travel, but it will create hundreds of construction jobs for New York residents. I would like to thank Port Authority Executive Director Chris Ward and Delta Air Lines CEO Richard Anderson for their commitment to this project, and laying the groundwork for a new, world class terminal at JFK Airport.”

Port Authority Chairman Anthony R. Coscia said, “A world-class region demands a world-class airport. Today's Board action - on top of our prior investments in runways, roadways, signage, parking, and AirTrain - is the agency's latest effort to ensure that JFK is an airport for the twenty-first century.”

Port Authority Executive Director Chris Ward said, “This is a game-changing deal for our customers and the entire regional aviation system. It increases JFK’s capacity, vastly improves the customer experience and strengthens the economic competitiveness of the most important gateway in the country. I want to thank Delta Air Lines, Schiphol and the Port Authority’s dedicated staff for completing a deal that has been years in the making.”

“Creating jobs and contributing to the economy is the Port Authority commitment to the region. This project will add an additional 6,400 jobs to the more than 230,000 jobs JFK produces and will add $1.8 billion in economic activity to the more than $30 billion already generated in economic activity,” said Deputy Executive Director Bill Baroni.

“Delta Air Lines is very pleased with the Port’s decision. We’ve been making significant investments in New York for several years now, and today’s announcement enables us to begin our next critical investment, our JFK Terminal. My thanks to Chris Ward and his team, Governor Paterson and Schiphol/JFKIAT for their dedicated partnership in making this happen,” said Delta Air Lines Chief Executive Officer Richard Anderson.

Under the plan approved today by the Board, Delta Air Lines will operate out of the gates in Terminal 4 under a 30-year arrangement. The expansion of Terminal 4 is expected to take 36 months and the subsequent demolition of Terminal 3 would begin immediately afterward, and is expected to take 24 months.

During the construction period, this project is estimated to provide direct and indirect regional benefits, including 6,400 jobs, $360 million in wages and $1.8 billion in economic activity.

The $1.2 billion project will be financed through a combination of Special Project Bonds, Passenger Facility Charges and Delta equity. Special Project Bonds are limited obligations of the Port Authority and debt service on the bonds is paid exclusively through rental terms in the lease agreement.

To accommodate the extra passengers, the international baggage claim hall and Federal Inspection Services processing capacity will also be expanded. Terminal 4 will be the second within the Port Authority’s airport network to participate in the U.S. Transportation Security Administration’s grant program for in-line baggage screening.

The expansion of Terminal 4 is the latest in a series of projects designed to meet the future passenger needs at JFK, which handled 46 million fliers last year. With the completion of this project, all international terminals at JFK have been renovated since 1998.

Terminal 3, originally built in 1960 for PanAm Worldport, consistently ranks among the lowest in the Port Authority’s customer service surveys. With the corridors designed pre- jumbo jet age and prior to the demands of many security requirements, the terminal is functionally outmoded, difficult to keep in a state-of-good repair, and delivers a customer experience well below the expectations of 21st century travelers.

Last edited by Deltspygt; Aug 5, 2010 at 11:35 pm Reason: to add PANYNY Press Release
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:19 pm

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
The airline and the Port Authority agreed to tear down the relic and build a brand-new terminal space in nearby Terminal 4 for Delta's international operations, to be completed in 2013.

Confused by the wording of this. What are they saying? Terminal 4 will be expanded in the direction of the present Terminal 3? When this project is completed, Terminal 4 will have a "new" section and an "old" section?
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Delta Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Four Seasons By Invitation, SPG Gold, #1 Club Gold, AmEx Plat
That's what it sounds like - maybe something similar to what B6 did at JFK, but with T4 instead of the old Saarinen TWA Flight Center?
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Sam Drucker

Confused by the wording of this. What are they saying? Terminal 4 will be expanded in the direction of the present Terminal 3? When this project is completed, Terminal 4 will have a "new" section and an "old" section?
No. T4B will have 9 gates added to it and Delta/Skyteam will use most of T4B.

The T3 land will be for taxway/parking(sorry aircraft only)

The WorldPort will be 100% gone and they will add some kind of post TSA link between T2 and T4B. T4 ticketing/FIS will be expanded also.

Plan on Delta being out of Terminal 3 after the S12 season and T3 to be gone and covered by blacktop by 2013.

(pretty much 100% of the money will go into T4, gate/ticketing/FIS overhaul and the rest will go to a T2-T4 link(id bet the same thing they have between T2 and T3(so a loooooooooooooooooooooooong walk but great ramp views)) and the new airplane parking lot that was T3.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Deltspygt
That's what it sounds like - maybe something similar to what B6 did at JFK, but with T4 instead of the old Saarinen TWA Flight Center?
Like i said the Worldport shall be gone.......if B6 didn't have to keep the Saarinen building it would also be gone. (now it just sits empty)
Old Aug 5, 2010, 11:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
36 months to build the new terminal, I can sort of understand. But 24 months to demolish T3? Not sure why it would take that long to tear something down and pave the space.

And in the end, as I read it, unless you heavily utilize the parking pad that was T3, it doesn't sound like Delta is going to have a significant increase in the number of gates from which it can operate.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...03298&t=h&z=16

Last edited by Robert Leach; Aug 6, 2010 at 12:05 am Reason: Added link
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Robert Leach
36 months to build the new terminal, I can sort of understand. But 24 months to demolish T3? Not sure why it would take that long to tear something down and pave the space.

And in the end, as I read it, unless you heavily utilize the parking pad that was T3, it doesn't sound like Delta is going to have a significant increase in the number of gates from which it can operate.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...03298&t=h&z=16
They are not getting any more gates at all. 16 of 16, but T4 does have 4 gates that have two jetways that can be used as two gates(B20 is one of them) and Delta is getting all of them. So Delta is getting 20 jetways.

But the biggest thing is now at T3 where Delta has almost zero non-jetway parking spots, where with this plan Delta gets rights for all of the spots that they make from the old T3. The plan (at least right now) is to use said space to do things such as MX/RONs/ long parking (ie plan gets in at 1200 and leaves at 2400 it wont sit at a gate all day) etc.

What Delta is doing is adding a dogleg to T4B and getting all but 2 of the inside east gates(i would assume these will be used mostly by KL and UX)
Old Aug 6, 2010, 5:20 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
I think this is just excellent news, long overdue. Ironically, flying into JFK today.

Any word if DL plans to allocate at least a few hundred K for LGA/MAT? They could use some serious facelifting as well.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 6:13 am

Already discussed here...

Originally Posted by Deltspygt
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/100809891

Delta Air Lines and the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey announced Thursday a $1.2 billion project to build a new terminal space at John F. Kennedy International Airport.

The Atlanta-based airline now inhabits Terminal 3 at the airport, which was built in 1960 and is known affectionately as the old PanAm Worldport. It was designed to serve an airport that handled about 5 million travelers per year, but of course JFK hosted more than 40 million travelers over the past 12 months—about a quarter of them flew Delta.
Already discussed here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...s-re-t3-5.html

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
No. T4B will have 9 gates added to it and Delta/Skyteam will use most of T4B.

(pretty much 100% of the money will go into T4, gate/ticketing/FIS overhaul and the rest will go to a T2-T4 link(id bet the same thing they have between T2 and T3(so a loooooooooooooooooooooooong walk but great ramp views)) and the new airplane parking lot that was T3.
True on the long walk. Don't forget that the walks within T4 won't be short either.

I wouldn't always assume good ramp views at JFK, given the past record of view blockage at this airport.

Witness the T5 curved pedestrian walkway linking T5 to the AirTrain JFK station--instead of providing great ramp views on that long walkway, the architects/owner opted to install a wall of ads with transom windows facing the ramp (with the view only towards the TWA terminal which B6 stated they would use as a "lobby," and never did. Of course that was all PR fluff to calm the architectural community).

On a pre-opening site tour, I did ask architects why they didn't provide views towards the ramp, and they mumbled something about how it would be distracting to have views in two directions!

So I imagine if a long walkway is installed for that walkway to become the domain of advertisers.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 6:36 am
Suspended

DL at JFK

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
I think this is just excellent news, long overdue. Ironically, flying into JFK today.

Any word if DL plans to allocate at least a few hundred K for LGA/MAT? They could use some serious facelifting as well.
Wonder if the new building will also motivate some serious staff training for gate and SkyClub personnel. They need to be less New York and more ATL, MSP, and MEM-like.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 7:08 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
I sure hope and pray that all those "parking spaces" to be located in the old T3 footprint does not mean more boarding by bus to the remote pads.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
Because the TSA won't let the demolition crews bring in any metal tools or liquids. However, they will be able to easily sneak in explosives, so that will help expedite the work.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by RobertS975
I sure hope and pray that all those "parking spaces" to be located in the old T3 footprint does not mean more boarding by bus to the remote pads.
That's exactly what it means.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 8:02 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
The WorldPort will be 100% gone and they will add some kind of post TSA link between T2 and T4B. T4 ticketing/FIS will be expanded also.
Does this mean DL will continue to use T2? If so, will that be improved?
Old Aug 6, 2010, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
overcrowding at T4?

A month or so ago I took a flight from T4 gate B22, which was a 757 and at the same time, a 767 was preparing to board for a flight to SJU. Let me tell you my opinions of what the terminal area in T4 around B22 looked like. Very cramped, people shoulder to shoulder, hovering around B22, to say it was uncomfortable would be an understatement. All those people crammed into that small confined space at gate B22 made it very, very hot around the gate area. Peoples tempers were also boiling due to not only these factors, but also due to lots of confusion. Made it increasingly difficult to board as well as delaying the SJU flight for quite some time.

Another point. The terminal is very narrow. I could only imagine how much more packed and uncomfortable its going to get in there when all of DL's international ops have moved in. This is a serious matter. The terminal 4 is just to narrow; the gate areas are not that big in size....

I guess its a matter of wait and see. However, it would seem that not only would T4 have to be stretched out to add these extra gates and all the thousands of extra people, but also widened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.