Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Award Fees: Effective 6/2, they be changin'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Surprised this hasn't been posted here but some interesting stuff...

The following award fee changes will be in effect on June 2nd.
  • The SkyMiles Award Ticket redemption fee will be eliminated for all members regardless of travel date. That is good news for last minute travelers.
  • Award redeposit and reissue fee will be waived for Platinum Medallion members.
  • There is no longer a limit of two waivers per year!
  • The award redeposit and reissue fee will increase from $100 to $150
    o This will align the reissue fee for award tickets with the reissue fee for revenue tickets
    o The $100 reissue fee will continue to apply for award tickets purchased on/before June 1
    o The $150 redeposit fee applies beginning June 2nd regardless of the date of the original ticket purchase
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:43 am

Programs: LH SEN, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Finally! ^
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Apparently their revenue model (fleece them & they will come) didn't work out.

This is almost a year & a half too late. Fix low-award availability & cut the mumbo jumbo about a revenue-based program & we'll start to reconsider. Meanwhile, we're quite happy with CO/UA & WN.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:56 am

Programs: UA Silver
Looks great, although not too sure how long this will last. DL used to change its mind frequently. Not long ago the close-in redemption fee was removed, only to be added back a couple days later.

And the mileage earning fare class on KLM has been changed back and forth a million times.

Since I haven't received an email notification for this change, I'm not optimistic.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Apparently their revenue model (fleece them & they will come) didn't work out.

This is almost a year & a half too late. Fix low-award availability & cut the mumbo jumbo about a revenue-based program & we'll start to reconsider.
^^ This backtracking by DL management is indeed to be welcomed.

I'm not sure their revenue model (of fleece them and they will come) has been given up entirely by DL management. Perhaps if the likes of the award tickets priced at 25k miles for a domestic coach roundtrip show signs of not being a highly endangered species, then that will mark a whole change in DL management attitude.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 2, 2010 at 4:30 am
Old Jun 2, 2010, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blug
Since I haven't received an email notification for this change, I'm not optimistic.
They're being sent out later today I'm told.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Any confirmation on this? If so, this is great news, esp the PE waiver going back to unlimited. Apparently DL realized their unfriendly rules?

Again, want confirmation on this, SMI?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 3:42 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat.
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Any confirmation on this? If so, this is great news, esp the PE waiver going back to unlimited. Apparently DL realized their unfriendly rules?

I'm not SMI, but it's confirmed. Just checked out the website and it's all on there under the "About Skymiles" section.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 4:25 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mnredfox

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...ates/index.jsp
Old Jun 2, 2010, 4:41 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
This is almost a year & a half too late. Fix low-award availability & cut the mumbo jumbo about a revenue-based program & we'll start to reconsider. Meanwhile, we're quite happy with CO/UA & WN.
Not for those of us who have been patient. I've been redeeming dozens of low/saver awards annually, even through the transition period, and enjoying the many DL perks for upper elites that trump other programs along the way. I suspect the remaining weaknesses - the buggy calendar and related difficulties in finding low/saver availability (for elites, it's still quite good... it's just that the calendar doesn't display it readily) will be fixed/improved this summer. I'll bet they will even improve inventory for all levels and throw in some other enhancements as well (like getting rid of the silly restriction prohibiting medallion award inventory being booked for others unless the medallion member is traveling with them).
Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:06 am

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
Wow. Kudos to DL for figuring it out, perhaps for some people a bit too late, but for me I'd say its better late than never. Not to be a downer, but the ironic thing here is that I've not redeemed a ticket with the new DL (last redemption was three biz seats to Africa at 105k and three seats to Middle East at 80k with NWA) and I wonder if they've been able to tell that PMs are not booking tickets with the kind of frequency they had been. For me, now that I know I can book something at 40k and at least have a seat that I can cancel at anytime means I may be more likely to use those miles than continue letting them sit unused.

Clearly they made a value calculation somewhere and for a rare time, the FF him/herself came out on top...
Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:08 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Why would the following appear under the heading "What you can expect by Fall 2010"...
A new first bag free waiver benefit for all Delta SkyMiles Gold, Platinum and Reserve Cardmembers from American Express goes into effect on June 1, 2010.
... and not in the section headed "What is happening now" ???

June 1 is two seasons away from Fall... and yesterday. How much closer to "now" can you get?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:09 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Wow....Delta took one whole month to change the award fee structure again. Looks like it is in the right direction!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:10 am

Much better way to conduct business. Hopefully, a precursor of better things to come. PLEASE get the award calendar online "fixed".
Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:12 am

Programs: DL-DM, PC-PM
Finally some positive news. Thanks to whoever was listening and had enough common sense to implement the changes!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.