Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flying First to Hawaii: Delta or Alaska?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2010, 4:38 am
Original Poster

I have the option to fly first class Hawaii in either Delta (757) or Alaska (737). Any suggestions? I hav enever flown Alaska. Will be traveling out of Chicago.

CR
Old Apr 24, 2010, 12:39 am
FOH

Programs: DL GM, UA nobody, Marriott Gold
Try for the A330 out of MSP or ATL. It's vastly superior to the B757 service from the west coast or the domestic 767 config through SLC.

AS F is decent though and significantly cheaper if you're paying cash. I haven't been up front on AS personally but flew them back from Hawaii in coach recently.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 2:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by FOH
Try for the A330 out of MSP or ATL. It's vastly superior to the B757 service from the west coast or the domestic 767 config through SLC.

AS F is decent though and significantly cheaper if you're paying cash. I haven't been up front on AS personally but flew them back from Hawaii in coach recently.
If its the 757 vs. 737... hands down 737- was on an ex-NW 753 SEA-HNL... sorry for that mistake (even though it was cheaper)... - was in Y...

AS has a solid F product too... seats may not be the same as the A330... but decent nonetheless...

What island are you looking at flying to? If its not HNL- I'd say AS, as they fly to all four major islands... that way you only have one connection in SEA or PDX for some destinations vs. one in MSP and HNL.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by beckoa
If its the 757 vs. 737... hands down 737- was on an ex-NW 753 SEA-HNL... sorry for that mistake (even though it was cheaper)... - was in Y...

AS has a solid F product too... seats may not be the same as the A330... but decent nonetheless...

What island are you looking at flying to? If its not HNL- I'd say AS, as they fly to all four major islands... that way you only have one connection in SEA or PDX for some destinations vs. one in MSP and HNL.
+1. I like DL FC service a lot but I would give the nod to AS on this route. AS has a great FC product too in my opinion.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
+1 try and get the DL A330 or else go for AS 737
Old Apr 24, 2010, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks. You have been helpful.

CR
Old Apr 24, 2010, 7:34 am

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
I would agree A330 out of MSP,DTW, or ATL is the way to go. I've done it several times in F. I remember when those tickets were reasonable at 1300 r/t.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Originally Posted by carlosr
I have the option to fly first class Hawaii in either Delta (757) or Alaska (737). Any suggestions? I hav enever flown Alaska. Will be traveling out of Chicago.

CR
Definitely AS! DL has some of its oldest planes flying to HI...
Old Apr 24, 2010, 10:21 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by DP-340
Definitely AS! DL has some of its oldest planes flying to HI...

???? The 757-300s and the A330s are some of the most-modern airliners in the sky. So that posting is just plain wrong. Some of the 757-200s are older, but not ancient by any means.

F Class catering on AS long haul is far-superior to F class catering to HI on DL.

IFE is overhead on all but the 767300s and the A330s on DL, AS has digiplayer with old movies on it. I am not a prisoner to IFE like most on here. I know how to spend my time with a book.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: lots of little things
Originally Posted by bubbashow
AS has digiplayer with old movies on it.
It's gotten much better, IMO. Avatar, Crazy Heart, and Sherlock Holmes among others right now. Plus Arrested Development and Modern Marvels episodes, are more than enough for me.

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/Flights/digEplayer.asp
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by bubbashow
???? The 757-300s and the A330s are some of the most-modern airliners in the sky. So that posting is just plain wrong. Some of the 757-200s are older, but not ancient by any means.

F Class catering on AS long haul is far-superior to F class catering to HI on DL.

IFE is overhead on all but the 767300s and the A330s on DL, AS has digiplayer with old movies on it. I am not a prisoner to IFE like most on here. I know how to spend my time with a book.
The AS service is on pretty new 737's (brand new from SJC). With the exception of the 330 they are in far better shape IMO but I would not call the DL fleet old.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 12:36 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Depends on the plane. I would pick AS F over any version of the 757 except the former Atlantic version with WBC (75A). The lack of headrests on the other DL planes makes the red-eyes pretty dreadful. In coach, row 40 on the 757-300(OW) has tons of legroom (but it takes forever to deplane), other 757s have standard exit rows. Overall, AS has much better coach seats. Add in the digiplayers, and you have an edge for AS.

Note, however, that AS 737s operate at the upper limit of their range, and AS sometimes has problems with getting everybody and their luggage to the islands (especially in winter during strong headwinds).
Old Apr 24, 2010, 2:27 pm
FOH

Programs: DL GM, UA nobody, Marriott Gold
Hands down the AS 737-800 in coach is vastly superior to the 753. The digEPlayers are $12 on the AS Hawaii routes and worth every penny.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Sky Club, United Club, Admirals Club, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Which Island?

Originally Posted by carlosr

CR
I flew to the big island and had 2 choices - go LAX to Maui and connect, or go to LAX- SLC and fly right into the big Island. Everyone in my family laughed at me for going 1.25 hours in the wrong direction, but I chose to go to SLC and fly right in because the flight out to Hawaii was a 767 and I was in the front cabin.

For me I the type of craft and seat type are important parts of the decision.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 4:09 pm

AS out of SAN to OGG

Would this be better than Delta thru LA? thanks for the assist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.