Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta cancelled flight, won't refund

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2008, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I once had an extreme version of this problem with a United agent. During a nasty rainstorm that stretched from the Bay Area all the way to L.A., nearly all SFO-LAX flights were cancelled for almost an entire day. When I called in to request a refund, I mentioned to the agent that I completely understand the need to cancel all the flights -- no one can fly in these conditions.

I then asked that my credit card be refunded for the cancelled flights. The agent said that he was sorry to say that this is not possible -- I bought a nonrefundable ticket. I said, yes, I understand that, but you have cancelled the flight, and every other SFO-LAX flight for the rest of the day. He wouldn't budge: nonrefundable means no refund under any circumstances.

Thank you, sir. I called back, got a new agent, and the problem was solved.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by SB1k
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Delta's CoC sure is vague in this area. Rule 240-C-2 says "you MAY be entitled to a refund", not "ARE", and doesn't clarify when 240-C-2 applies versus 240-C-1, which says that they'll transport you on their next available flight.

Delta's holding tight to 240-C-1, even when their next flight isn't until the next day.

So can the customer choose between 240-C-1 and 240-C-2, or is that Delta's choice? It seems subject to interpretation. There's no verbage in favor of the customer.

-Tom
Whatever happens, keep your cool. Getting angry is a sure way to not get what you want. Even (or especially) if the agent is a dumbass arguing will get you nowhere.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by El Boocho
Whatever happens, keep your cool. Getting angry is a sure way to not get what you want. Even (or especially) if the agent is a dumbass arguing will get you nowhere.
Yep -- just call back when you hit a wall. I've never had a second agent say, "wait, I can't help you since you just got off the phone with another agent."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.