Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Revive SaveSkymiles.com?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2007, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Revive SaveSkymiles.com?

In light of recent Skymiles changes, would be in our best interests to revive the SaveSkymiles.com website again and get the word out? Your thoughts?
Old Dec 20, 2007, 2:55 pm

No. SaveSkyMiles.com was a reaction to what in essence was a demolition of the existing program. This SkylackofanyrealChoice is more incremental and while relatively large is not even comparable to what happened back then.

My suspicion is that those of us with megamiles will burn through them and walk away from the program rather than raise a ruckus.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 7:16 pm

deleted

Last edited by shoodawg; Jun 9, 2009 at 7:27 pm
Old Dec 21, 2007, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by shoodawg
Why burn them now? Save them for your retirement.
Because at the current rate of devaluation, by the time I retire it will take 10 times the miles to go anywhere vs. today.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 8:17 am

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Well there are still people like me that are happy as pigs in sh@t... I don't think I have ever tried to get a skychoice award... I just don't need to go anywhere that badly. But I was able to easily book 5 tickets to CUN in February from SLC at the skysaver rate. With my balance hovering around 200-300k, I just don't let them sit in there long enough to get all worked up about a few days that are blacked out for skychoice.

I know I'm the big minority on here; most people are freaked out about this, but for me, it really doesn't make any impact.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
I know I'm the big minority on here; most people are freaked out about this, but for me, it really doesn't make any impact.
When people start to become unable to get SkyChoice, or unwilling to take the limited availability and restrictions SkyChoice now has to offer, they are going to start putting pressure on SkySaver.

Moreover, it is an overall indicator of exactly what Delta now thinks they can do. If you think the rollbacks will end with SkyChoice, think again.

They learned a lesson from SaveSkyMiles.com: incrementalism is superior to shock methods when time is a relatively "inexpensive" commodity. If time is in limited supply, then shock becomes the only option.

Jeff et al. are banking they have some time, so better to ease SkyMiles down several pegs rather than all at once.

This is why I intend on burning mine while I can.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
At some point in the dying process a DNR order can be appropriate.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cynicalflyer
No. SaveSkyMiles.com was a reaction to what in essence was a demolition of the existing program. This SkylackofanyrealChoice is more incremental and while relatively large is not even comparable to what happened back then.

My suspicion is that those of us with megamiles will burn through them and walk away from the program rather than raise a ruckus.
I couldn't disagree more. I have one of the highest mileage balances here. I am dedicated to Delta. But I have my limits. "Walking away from the program" IS Raising a ruckus.

[QUOTE=cynicalflyer;8935041]
Moreover, it is an overall indicator of exactly what Delta now thinks they can do.
There is no doubt about this. If they think they can do this, then they can and will. But we have to prove them wrong. We did it before. When unlimited domestic upgrades were being phased out for PMs, I booked a trip on NW and I WAS leaving. Enough of us had that view that they rescinded it before it happen.

I am all for any protest that we can muster up. I will provide my $$$ to help out. As I have already said, I believe in picking your battles. This one I am willing to pick and fight.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 10:50 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by indufan
I am all for any protest that we can muster up. I will provide my $$$ to help out. As I have already said, I believe in picking your battles. This one I am willing to pick and fight.
As we discussed, I agree with your sentiment here. Despite a recurring claim to the contrary, however; I believe RealDLInsider clearly implied there would be a customer "give back" that would help mitigate the impact of this "take away". Once the "give back" is public (or if there ultimately is none), we may still decide it doesn't adequately mitigate the "take away" and reorganize SSM to take our grievance public, but I (for one) intend to withhold final judgement on this until we know the whole story.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by DLfan
As we discussed, I agree with your sentiment here. Despite a recurring claim to the contrary, however; I believe RealDLInsider clearly implied there would be a customer "give back" that would help mitigate the impact of this "take away". Once the "give back" is public (or if there ultimately is none), we may still decide it doesn't adequately mitigate the "take away" and reorganize SSM to take our grievance public, but I (for one) intend to withhold final judgement on this until we know the whole story.
I may have to bring back my SaveSkyMiles AIM screen name... now if I could only remember the password
Old Dec 21, 2007, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
I couldn't disagree more. I have one of the highest mileage balances here. I am dedicated to Delta. But I have my limits. "Walking away from the program" IS Raising a ruckus.
As the days go on, I may stand corrected as to the level of angst over this. It could snowball. But as of now, I just don't see it growing to a critical mass.

And given the non-promise promise of a giveback in which what was really promised as a "debate", I would be happy in this case to be proven wrong.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by GoCanes
I may have to bring back my SaveSkyMiles AIM screen name... now if I could only remember the password
Hehe. There's a way to recover passwords to the email used to create/authenticate.

Of course if you cannot remember that password, well....
Old Dec 21, 2007, 12:19 pm
gsw

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by DLfan
DLfan, how trustworthy is RealDLInsider? What do we really know about what is in store for us?
Old Dec 21, 2007, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by gsw
DLfan, how trustworthy is RealDLInsider? What do we really know about what is in store for us?
I believe (and I will no doubt be corrected) there is proof positive RealDLInsider is in fact Jeff Robertson, Managing Director - SkyMiles.

As for what is in store, I believe this answers that.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 12:33 pm
gsw

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by cynicalflyer
I believe (and I will no doubt be corrected) there is proof positive RealDLInsider is in fact Jeff Robertson, Managing Director - SkyMiles.

As for what is in store, I believe this answers that.
But does he act as if it is in his / DL's best interest for him to tell us the whole truth? I don't know, but it seems that others on the DL forum believe not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.