Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Reserve - free companion ticket

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2008, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Delta Reserve - free companion ticket

Bump me if I'm in the wrong place posting this here...

I got a Delta Reserve card (yes, I'm evil) and there was a promise of a companion ticket coupon. I got the card 2 months ago and still no coupon. Can anyone vouch for when that should be delivered?
Old Sep 3, 2008, 8:55 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Within a few months of your renewal after your first year ends.......
Old Sep 3, 2008, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Yep, so by next September, give or take a few months.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL Platinum
companion certificate

Anyone actually get one of these and use it? Is it electronic or paper? How do you receive it - by a special mailing? Just curious since I have an opportunity to use one and I have had the reserve card for just over a year.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by JRBTennessee
Anyone actually get one of these and use it? Is it electronic or paper? How do you receive it - by a special mailing? Just curious since I have an opportunity to use one and I have had the reserve card for just over a year.
There's a mailing with a printed Certificate Code associated with your SkyMiles account.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 6:34 am

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
If you have passed your renewal date, you might be able to look it up online by your SM number:

https://www.delta.com/edocviewer/red...erts/index.jsp
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriot Titanium, Hertz PC
The TOC indicate the companion certificate is earned when a card member renews, not signs up--a common oversight I imagine.

I have a related question. The website says the following regarding the companion certificate: "Free Domestic First Class Companion Certificates allow Delta Reserve Cardmembers to bring a friend at no additional cost (plus taxes and fees)—and entitle you to First/Business or Coach seating (emphsais added)."

If it entitles a first class to seat to a companion and to me, doesn't that mean that one certificate permits two passengers? I ask because "companion ticket" normally implies that only your companion flys for free. However, I don't see how else to interpret "bring a friend . . . and entitles you to first/business coach seating." It seems that if the certificate entitles us to two seat, they would tout that rather than enphasizing the companion part. Hmm.

Last edited by Dining_Caper; Apr 5, 2010 at 12:58 pm Reason: Correct minor typo
Old Apr 5, 2010, 2:50 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Originally Posted by Dining_Caper
and entitle you to First/Business or Coach seating (emphsais added)."
I think "you" is plural.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM/MM
Just purchased two first class tickets today with my AE Reserve companion certificate. Primary ticket is a full paid ticket in A class and you just pay taxes for your companion. No mileage accrual for the passenger, but you still get miles and MQM's. Can book online at delta.com/redeem or go to delta.com/companioncertificate and follow directions. You can also book in coach the same way. Must book in L,U or T. Of course, all these seats are limited, so once you log in and try to book the ticket, only "available legs" should show. Worked for me! Good luck.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL DM
Trying to use my certificate for a trip to the west coast. The A fare is just under $1,200. When I got to redeem the certificate the fare jumps to $2,200. Anyone else run into this? (Have tried this with several airport combinations and keep coming up with the same problem.)
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH/Marriott Silver, SPG Gold
I had something very similar happen. However, in my case the first time around (without trying to use the certificate) one of the new Delta P-Fare tickets showed up. Once I proceeded forward with the certificate, an A-Fare showed up for about $1000 more. This really irks me, since I recall reading about all the trouble of getting Delta to recognize the A-Fare bucket for the Reserve Companion Certificate (I have lurked here for a while). Anyone else having this problem? Anyone have any ideas how P-Fares will now be handled with Delta Reserve?
Old Jan 9, 2011, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Do the T&C of the pass limit it to certain eligible fare classes?
Old Jan 9, 2011, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by javabytes
Do the T&C of the pass limit it to certain eligible fare classes?
Yes.

https://www.delta.com/planning_reser...ex.jsp#reserve
Old Jan 10, 2011, 3:44 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by moo-cow
I had something very similar happen. However, in my case the first time around (without trying to use the certificate) one of the new Delta P-Fare tickets showed up. Once I proceeded forward with the certificate, an A-Fare showed up for about $1000 more. This really irks me, since I recall reading about all the trouble of getting Delta to recognize the A-Fare bucket for the Reserve Companion Certificate (I have lurked here for a while). Anyone else having this problem? Anyone have any ideas how P-Fares will now be handled with Delta Reserve?
It appears from my booking attempts that P fares are NOT eligible to be used with the certificates. Seems like Delta is sticking to the "A fare" only for certificate usage in first. Seems to me that DL could accomplish their goal of monetizing first class by allowing the usage of these certificates with these P fares. It seems like it'd be a "win-win" for most everybody. I'd certainly be motivated to help them "monetize" what I'd otherwise book in LUT and hope for a free upgrade (which I'd probably get).
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by cottonpatch
I'd certainly be motivated to help them "monetize" what I'd otherwise book in LUT and hope for a free upgrade (which I'd probably get).
This happened to me in November, I booked "A" fair and used the companion Certificate but on the return only "L" was available, I took a chance and got upgraded anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.