Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Finally Qualified for Medallion - Delta Refuses Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finally Qualified for Medallion - Delta Refuses Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2006, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by kenrph
As a database programmer and administrator i have come to write many systems similar to these; I actually coded the enitre backend point awarding and redeeming, segmeting and randomization routine for segmented offers for a loyalty program (not an airline).

In my experience weekly batch process are not setup unless it cannot be run nightly for either a dependency reason (some other process can only be run weekly and this follows it) or for logistical reason, the batch sonsumes so much resources it would cause the site to be so slow or something similar.

It is also possible (i have seen it more often than not) that the batch process was coded poorly by the developers and it needs to be over hauled to make it run daily or in real time. However rewritting an entire loyalty program not only takes month to code and then months to test for little benefit especially when there is no economic incentive. I suspect that the next overhaul of the system would include changes in this area unless there is a valid business reason for it which we do not know possibly fraud or processing errors of some sort, thus allowing time to back the flights and miles out before the cascade of events that status upgrades initiate such as mailing out cards and upgrading flights etc.
Thanks for the insight, kenrph, and welcome to ft.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 12:52 pm

Mr/ms. bowles has raised an interesting point. But lordy days what in the world will happen, once s/he isn't upgraded after becoming SM?

S/he talks as though being upgraded is an automatic, once ONE becomes medillion. WOW, is someone is for a surprise!!!!
Old Dec 27, 2006, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL FO,Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Nexus & Global Entry
Originally Posted by lofly
S/he talks as though being upgraded is an automatic, once ONE becomes medillion. WOW, is someone is for a surprise!!!!
Phew. I feel bad for any GA after the gate lotto closes and He/She is #19 out of 2 available seats
Old Jan 1, 2007, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=lofly;6908953 But lordy days what in the world will happen, once s/he isn't upgraded after becoming SM?

S/he talks as though being upgraded is an automatic, once ONE becomes medillion. WOW, is someone is for a surprise!!!! [/QUOTE]

No, I expect to be upgraded rarely if ever. Most of my flights are MLB to DCA or BWI through ATL.

Flying almost every week, it would be very nice to not always board last. It may seem to be a small issue to some but putting your bag under your feet because the overheads are stuffed at 6 ft 3 in does make the trip a real pain. CRJs are worse, although I carry only a small bag and not a full overnighter for those small bins.

I'm a software engineer and have programmed plenty of backends for business systems myself as well. If the system loading or dependencies prevent them upgrading status more than once a week, it could easily be handled on an exception basis, either through customer service or at the gate. Not really a technical issue, more of a customer service issue.

Back with Delta at 6 tomorrow morning, finally statused as FO, promised nothing, not expecting it.

Happy New Year to all.

Back to silent reading on Flyertalk. I really got jumped on for speaking up about my complaint.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by wbowles
Back with Delta at 6 tomorrow morning, finally statused as FO, promised nothing, not expecting it.
Let us know how it goes.
Old Jan 1, 2007, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by wbowles
Back to silent reading on Flyertalk. I really got jumped on for speaking up about my complaint.
Not everyone got on your case. There is a wide range of opinions here no matter what the subject.

You are correct to keep your expectations low and it's nice to hear from someone who appreciates the benefits that some of us take for granted. It all comes home when I'm forced to fly on someone other than DL.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
I'm sorry for resurrecting this ancient thread, but I didn't want to start a new one. Does Delta still update their medallion statuses only once a week? I'm planning to fly Delta in the near future just to make silver before an intercontinental KLM flight in order to get a free additional bag and maybe enjoy some extra benefits as well.

What are the odds that my status won't be updated for let's say many weeks? Also, should I remove my FF number from the KLM reservation and add it again to make sure everything goes right?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
No, now it typically cycles overnight after your miles post (which itself can take a day or two, more for partner flights). There is no need to remove and re-add your SM # to existing DL reservations once this happens, but I'm not sure about existing partner reservations.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.