Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

You've finally earned elite status. And they want to limit your upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2003, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold

Half page ad in New York times

OnepPass Elite members get unlimited space-available First Class upgrades..

A lot more verbage, I wonder who they are directing this message to?

Looks like I'll be connecting through Cleveland soon!
Old Jun 2, 2003, 9:07 pm

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
Thanks for the heads up! Seems that no matter what the other airlines do, Delta does not budge!
Old Jun 2, 2003, 9:15 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Mikey, congrats on joining the very unpleasant real world. You WILL eventually be happier here.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LexPassenger:
Mikey, congrats on joining the very unpleasant real world. You WILL eventually be happier here.</font>
Still going to hit 100 segments just in case Uncle Leo has a change of heart.../

Ill be gone soon
Old Jun 3, 2003, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That OP add is dubious at best. It has become even harder for CO Silvers to get upgrades on cross country flights especially red eyes. The ad talks about the unlimited chances of getting upgraded. Chances are not real upgraded seats. This ad is definitely targetted at Delta but the reality is that even CO plats are sitting in coach more often than in the past.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 8:14 am

Location: Friday Harbor, WA - DL Platinum, CO Platinum, MR Platinum, HH Gold
I stopped flying Delta in mid-March and haven't looked back since. I have flown 52K miles on CO between March and now and have been upgraded on every single flight. I can't speak for all elites, but this CO Platinum is thrilled to have made the switch!

Jennifer
Old Jun 3, 2003, 8:26 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mikey1003:

Looks like I'll be connecting through Cleveland soon!
</font>
I'm assuming your being a little bit sarcastic, but you do realize that most CO flights through CLE are on RJ's which makes unlimited upgrades pretty useless.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 8:39 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jstockton:
I stopped flying Delta in mid-March and haven't looked back since. I have flown 52K miles on CO between March and now and have been upgraded on every single flight. I can't speak for all elites, but this CO Platinum is thrilled to have made the switch!
</font>
But if you read the CO board, you find tons of disgruntled CO flyers who have complained about the automated upgrade (EUA) system, as well as the lack of award seats and the international upgrade system (which on CO includes the Hawaii routes).

I am just not sure that everything is roses at CO, and I wouldn't put many eggs in that basket until the details of the CO/NW/DL alliance finally become public.

Old Jun 3, 2003, 12:37 pm

As a former DL medallion (switched over to CO way back when they got rid of SWU's), I can tell you that CO has its share of problems (erratic EUA and too many elites).

But, I'm vastly better off at CO. At least I know that if there's an empty seat up front its mine rather than having to worry about 800-mile (now 500-mile)upgrade points or paying additional fees for it.

Regarding international upgrades, CO is not as flexible as AA but still imho much better than DL was to me. I've never had an upgrade not clear--which is more than I can say for DL. In addition, I'm not stuck buying an expensive fare in the hopes that I can upgrade (any fare on CO is upgradeable but some of the lower fares require you to pay a fee if the upgrade clears). You can also upgrade only one way--which is nice because on trans-atlantic flights I want the upgrade going (the redeye) but don't care so much about upgrading on the way back.

Cheers,

Brooklynflyer
Old Jun 3, 2003, 1:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by brooklynflyer:
In addition, I'm not stuck buying an expensive fare in the hopes that I can upgrade (any fare on CO is upgradeable but some of the lower fares require you to pay a fee if the upgrade clears). </font>
This point about CO confuses me a bit. I was under the impression from posts on the CO board that you pay the supplemental fee to upgrade a non-HoKeY fare in advance, and then play the lottery to see if you get the upgrade or not.

Old Jun 3, 2003, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Platinum
I saw this all over the NYC subways. Go from DL ads outside, to Continental ads inside the trains. Kind of funny how airlines advertise all over another means of transportation
Old Jun 3, 2003, 3:29 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Robert Leach:
This point about CO confuses me a bit. I was under the impression from posts on the CO board that you pay the supplemental fee to upgrade a non-HoKeY fare in advance, and then play the lottery to see if you get the upgrade or not.

</font>
Nope. Not true. I think the way it is phrased on their website is a little confusing but I can assure from personal experience that they only charge you once the upgrade clears. In fact, they usually leave you a nice voicemail that they are upgrading you and charging your credit card.

Regards,

Brooklynflyer
Old Jun 3, 2003, 4:30 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mikey1003:
Half page ad in New York times

OnepPass Elite members get unlimited space-available First Class upgrades..

A lot more verbage, I wonder who they are directing this message to?
</font>
If you truly believe all is hunky-dory at CO (in particular, intercontinental awards/upgrades)... then see what most CO Plats have to say about it on my website: www.NonePass.com

------------------
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!
~ConcordeBoy

Try the Unofficial Continental Airlines Dictionary
Old Jun 3, 2003, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
[quote]<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ConcordeBoy:
If you truly believe all is hunky-dory at CO (in particular, intercontinental awards/upgrades)... then see what most CO Plats have to say about it on my website: www.NonePass.com
</font>
There's one of these for every airline. www.nonepass.com for CO, www.untied.com for United, www.saveskymiles.com for DL, etc.

I'm not saying everything is perfect at CO (obviously CO is most appealing to those with mostly domestic travel patterns, and I'll admit to seeing some EUA anomolies), but as a CO Silver, I've been upgraded 70% of the time (YTD), and I scored 67% last year. Both years including some transcons, so I don't think that's too shabby given my level. Most were EUA, some were gate or battlefield promotions.

The CO board does surveys from time to time to find EUA rates, and Silvers average somewhere around 65%, Golds around 85%, and Plats around 95%. Of course depending your travel patterns, YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.