Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Sky Miles Visa or Master Card?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2009, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: US AA UA DL
Delta Sky Miles Visa or Master Card?

Is there a Visa or Master Charge that gives 1:1 dollars to Sky Miles? I want to keep my Amex on Membership Rewards. The only credit card I see on the Delta site is the Delta Amex.
Thanks
Old Mar 4, 2009, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
DL is exclusively AmEx. Northwest has a few options for you. http://www.nwa.com/worldperks/earn/p...r/#creditcards
Old Mar 4, 2009, 5:14 pm

Programs: co,skymiles hilton a.a usair
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
DL is exclusively AmEx. Northwest has a few options for you. http://www.nwa.com/worldperks/earn/p...r/#creditcards
but not for long
Old Mar 4, 2009, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Oh how I wish there was a Debit Card option
Old Mar 4, 2009, 5:36 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Originally Posted by Denolloyd
Why? You usually get 1/2 the miles with those.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by jfe
Didn't know that... Still, I like the Debit option.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA/Delta/Hilton
You build credit history, and you can treat it like a debit card by directly paying off the balance online whenever you charge something. Whatever fits you ............
Old Mar 4, 2009, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by superflyer99
You build credit history, and you can treat it like a debit card by directly paying off the balance online whenever you charge something. Whatever fits you ............
Oh, I know how it works. I worked for one of the nations largest card issuers for 9 years. Was a VP Marketing Manager for Card Acquisitions. I know CC companies very well. At the end of the day, I'd still like a "cash" option.

Last edited by Denolloyd; Apr 18, 2011 at 9:10 pm
Old Mar 4, 2009, 6:11 pm

Programs: KLM and AA
Originally Posted by chavjs
but not for long
Is Delta (or US Bank) going to stop the Visa card?
Old Mar 4, 2009, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Originally Posted by HCruiseMike
Is Delta (or US Bank) going to stop the Visa card?
i had read somewhere that the US Bank contract iwll be carried out. So, there may be some transition period where both Amex and USB will be issuing co-branded cards...

the same thing happened with BofA (US Air and America West) and Juniper/Barclays when the merger took place... both issuers had the chance to lure new customers well into the merger...

i will see if i can get you a reference for that but my answer is a 75% no

edit: based on the question, the answer is more of a no - no discontinuing just yet
Old Mar 4, 2009, 6:45 pm

I remember reading somewhere that the US Bank Debit Card option will still be kept after the discontinuation of the WorldPerks Visa.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL PM
WP Visa is definitely going away.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/north...visa-gone.html

IIRC Sept 09 is around the window of departure.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 8:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, ALL Gold
Get a Diners Club Card, which is now really a glorified Master Card, but without revolving credit privileges (you need to pay the balance every month since it's a charge card like Amex, not a credit card even though it's a Master Card). You can transfer to Delta and many other airlines (more than Amex) 1:1.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 2:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Why would you want a debit card? Those things are dangerous. A little fraud and somebody is pulling real cash out of your checking account.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by jfe
Such cards without annual fees usually only give 1:2 miles to dollars, those that give 1:1 usually include a fee.

In my own personal experience, the ironic thing is that the ones ~with~ annual fees, usually (for whatever reason) come up with "excuses" to waive them!

I've had the CO Plus debit card from Chase, which is 1:1 miles to dollars, but has a $65 annual fee; for three years now, but I've yet to be charged that fee as they seem to come up with some reason or other (1st year, loyalty, elite status, etc) for waiving it. Fine by me!

Didn't know that...
(refer to previous answer)

Originally Posted by raehl311
Why would you want a debit card?
Usual reasons being availability (particularly for those with starting, limited, or recovering credit histories), as well as avoiding the temptation of excessive debt by only being able to spend what you already have.

Originally Posted by raehl311
Those things are dangerous. A little fraud and somebody is pulling real cash out of your checking account.
...you say that as if theft-by-fraud doesn't happen just as (if not more) easily with credit, EVERY DAY.

To steal money from your checking, all "they" need is your account number. To steal using your credit, all they need is your social. What's the difference?

...in either case, any financial institution worth its salt would either spot and halt fraudulent transactions before they happen, or in the very least, not hold the rightful owner responsible for bogus charges.

Last edited by ConcordeBoy; Apr 20, 2009 at 7:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.