Wiki Posts
Search

Thanksgiving gouge?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SPG Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Thanksgiving gouge?

Can't believe the prices I'm seeing on DL out of SEA for the entire week leading up to Thanksgiving.

I find it hard to believe that every available discount fare has been purchased, leaving lowest possible fares of $700+
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:28 am

Well... it IS Thanksgiving, one of the busiest travel days of the year.

I had to pay over $800 p/p to get from MLB-MCI. F was cheaper than Y because they were only offering Y fares.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SPG Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
My only complaint is that there are U, T, and even some L available, yet those buckets start at the upper $600 range.

Looked at airports in a 200 sq. mile radius of Cincinnati and none are reasonable.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Delta has been doing this at peak demand times for several years. Welcome to "Pricing Chicken"! It's a fun game.

For this year I booked a Thanksgiving award ticket a couple months ago that I will cancel if a cheap alternative (not limited to NW/DL) comes up. Last year we used bump vouchers to offset the costs of Thanksgiving & Christmas travel.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:48 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Price the competition. DL probably thinks, rightfully or wrongfully, that they can sell seats at those prices. Either they are right and will make a killing or they will put those seats on sale in November.

You can protest by taking your business elsewhere.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Delta has been doing this at peak demand times for several years. Welcome to "Pricing Chicken"! It's a fun game.

For this year I booked a Thanksgiving award ticket a couple months ago that I will cancel if a cheap alternative (not limited to NW/DL) comes up. Last year we used bump vouchers to offset the costs of Thanksgiving & Christmas travel.

Even with the mileage devaluation? I got a thanksgiving award SAN-PHL (wed-sun) that even if the price drops to $150 RT, I will still burn the miles, the last thing I need now is 25,000 more worthless miles.

Do you think thanksgiving flights will be full this year? Prices I see are astronomical with most $650-900 TC and have been that way since 331 days out.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 12:12 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
I booked DFW to MCO and it was just over $400 thats coach but wanted to buy rather than worry about not having a vacation
Old Sep 25, 2008, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Look at partner options...

I paid 660 flying out of FLL the late afternoon before TG on CO in coach (B class, so upgrade looks great), then back to FLL on the 1st of Dec in A class on DL.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott. Hilton Diamond, Hertz something...
Originally Posted by jmw1515
Can't believe the prices I'm seeing on DL out of SEA for the entire week leading up to Thanksgiving.

I find it hard to believe that every available discount fare has been purchased, leaving lowest possible fares of $700+
Gouging??

Its business - whether we like it or not they obviously think they can sell those seats at that price. It is thanksgiving after all, its not like its a light travel time.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 7:50 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
I've booked BWI-MCO in A, $304 all-in for Nov. 26-30. Whicka-whicka-whhhaaaattt!!
Old Sep 25, 2008, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I paid $515 for MSP-BOS (all U/L fares). Sadly, the normal fare for BOS-MSP is in the $475 range, so it's not too much of a markup (good ol' blo-fares in this market). The good news is that I make Platinum on the first flight of this trip.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
My ticket was alot more than any of yours, but then I will be in PEK for thanksgiving as part of a RTW.

It is not price gouging by DL or any other airline, it is called supply and demand. The prices have been unreasonably low for many years due to an excess of supply, and now the market is conming into more of an equilibrium where the price and costs are more closely related (in the aggragate).
Old Sep 25, 2008, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I paid 660 flying out of FLL the late afternoon before TG on CO in coach (B class, so upgrade looks great), then back to FLL on the 1st of Dec in A class on DL.
Aren't upgrades always easy on the day before Thanksgiving? Lots of leisure travellers, few Elites?
Old Sep 25, 2008, 8:13 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by jmw1515

Where are you flying to again?
Old Sep 25, 2008, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by channa
Aren't upgrades always easy on the day before Thanksgiving? Lots of leisure travellers, few Elites?
Depends. A lot of elites that are business travellers are off that week, but there's still a decent bit of elites traveling simply due to the fact that they're flying home to see family. It's an easier upgrade, but definitely not guaranteed for Silvers (I've seen some long lists out of ATL on the Wednesday and especially on Sunday).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.