Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

No big deal to you, but...i'm a 1st timer Silver!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No big deal to you, but...i'm a 1st timer Silver!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2008, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I'm sitting at 67k MQM this year and with my birthday this month (Double MQM promo) will likely make PM with no problem... but if I were sitting at 74,999 in December (baring the leniency we've seen in the past) with no more travel planned, I likely would not expend anything out-of-pocket to push for PM. The most I would consider paying would be $150ish for some quick hop to somewhere like Dayton, OH since I could meet my parents for lunch or something similar. A long MR costing $500+ with the chance of delays and extra costs wouldn't be worth it for me personally. While I'm looking forward to the benefits PM will bring, I can't think of any that would justify out-of-pocket expense over what GM has offered me for the last year.
I would have a quite different assessment of the value of a MR in order to bump up to PM. The cost savings alone in waivers of last minute award travel fees and mileage redeposit fees can be much more than $150.

But of course YMMV, as everyone has different ways of using their miles --- if you always are planning ahead for just one or two big trips a year with your significant other, there is no fee to waive when booking more than 21 days ahead. Still, if you have to make a change at the last minute, changing 2 people's tickets can add up to a lot of money.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 6:03 pm

Talking pooh sez poo!

Originally Posted by gsupstate
Party pooper! Wet blanket!

pooh bear-sez poo! -- silver's no big deal --there's a zillion of them
and gold AND even plats.

it's just a regular lottery who grabs what first, first come, first served... (highest level first, of course with few exceptions)... silver gets leftovers and always LAST before general members ... . .

Last edited by Boston_Bulldog; Sep 3, 2008 at 6:11 pm
Old Sep 3, 2008, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Boston_Bulldog
pooh bear-sez poo! -- silver's no big deal --there's a zillion of them
and gold AND even plats.
Why do you even converse here? You're not participating constructively in any conversation and you're surely not helping anyone...
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:02 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by mersk862
Congrats on making Silver - it is a rather nice benefit to have. The big perks are as follows:

-Chance at an upgrade (cleared BOS-JFK this morning, no chance at JFK-SLC right now, a shot at SLC-MSP this afternoon).
-25% bonus miles (every bit helps!)
-Priority check-in/boarding
-Extra baggage allowance (you get 3 free bags, all at 70 lbs. each, regardless of cabin)
-Access to SMS (which is world's better than the India Call Center)

I'm sure more will chime in, but congrats on making Silver. I'll be making Gold on my flight in just a few minutes for the first time (Platinum in November...).
Thank god I found this thread. All those who were Silver Medallion in 2008 and flew to India (from US), do you remember 3 bags /70lbs each allowance in economy??? Am I imagining things? At-least, that's what the Delta agent, I spoke to just now, is claiming on the phone!!!

The biggest advantage of being a Silver Medallion on Delta was the ability to haul 3 bags of 70 lbs each when going to India. But, seems like this has changed
http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...cked/index.jsp
It says that only 2 bags of 70 lbs allowed.

Can someone please confirm this?? What I mean is that if anyone who is a Silver and has flown US-India in the last 6 months or so, can confirm how many checked bags were allowed. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Old Nov 9, 2010, 1:56 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi,

Things have changed. Most airlines have reduced the allowance on TATL flights from 2 pieces to 1 ... and thus your status still gets you X+1 pieces.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Nov 9, 2010, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
Hi,

Things have changed. Most airlines have reduced the allowance on TATL flights from 2 pieces to 1 ... and thus your status still gets you X+1 pieces.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
I am afraid that is not entirely true. Most, if not all, airlines allow two pieces of checked in baggage when flying in/out of USA from/to Asia (especially India). Only difference being, the weight limit is 50lbs. So, elites are still ahead in that they get 70lbs each.
I think you are referring to flights in and out of Europe, in that case, yes, airlines have reduced checked in baggage to just 1 bag.

Again, I would like to ask the elites here if someone can confirm the baggage allowance for sliver and above on USA to India flights..I would really appreciate it..
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:14 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi,

Originally Posted by hsingh
I am afraid that is not entirely true. Most, if not all, airlines allow two pieces of checked in baggage when flying in/out of USA from/to Asia (especially India). Only difference being, the weight limit is 50lbs. So, elites are still ahead in that they get 70lbs each.
I think you are referring to flights in and out of Europe, in that case, yes, airlines have reduced checked in baggage to just 1 bag.

Again, I would like to ask the elites here if someone can confirm the baggage allowance for sliver and above on USA to India flights..I would really appreciate it..
From the link you provided:

For travel between the United States or Canada and Europe:

* First checked bag: No fee applies
* Second checked bag: 50 USD/CAD/EUR* if checked in online or 55 USD/CAD/EUR* at the airport

*CAD or EUR amounts will be charged when exiting Canada or Europe, respectively.

For travel between Europe and India:

* First checked bag: No fee applies
* Second checked bag: 50 EUR if checked in online or 55 EUR at the airport
And then continuing on:

SkyMiles Medallion® members traveling in Economy may check up to two bags up to 70 lbs each at no charge.
So to me, it's quite clearly stated.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.