Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

When the Airline You Love Walks Away - DL Leaving BGM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When the Airline You Love Walks Away - DL Leaving BGM

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2007, 7:15 am

deleted. already discussed
Old Jul 15, 2007, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by mikey1003
If they count segments
No, my major gripe was always segments ( and Old Miles..but that was after I quit DL)

$$$$ has always been a fact of life at CVG. I have been flying out of DAY for many years because of CVG extortion. (A few trips from IND, CMH and whatever the Hell Louisville is called)

I told Robby Boy Borden, no segments and I would take my business elsewhere. That went back to the Save SkyMiles days

To answer your question about all in... I am happy with NW now. They would have to screw up and DL would have to count segments for me to go back. (PM on NW is 100 segments)
One thing I could never figure out was how you have so many NW BIS miles. You have been flying them for what, maybe 4 years? That works out to more than 300K per year. If you are doing that kind of travel, who cares if they count segments? Does your counter include all miles or just status miles?
Old Jul 15, 2007, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by El Boocho
One thing I could never figure out was how you have so many NW BIS miles. You have been flying them for what, maybe 4 years? That works out to more than 300K per year. If you are doing that kind of travel, who cares if they count segments? Does your counter include all miles or just status miles?
No, when I started flying, I flew Republic...then NW bought them...Flew them for many years. My territory was changed, so I switched to DL. That's why so many NW miles..And, those are total miles , not BIS. NW does not have a MM program like DL.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 8:16 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
This is an excellent reason why none of us should ever be married to any given airline.

I fought long and hard over SaveSkymiles.com I took it personal, then realized that an airline is just a way to get from point A to point B.

No matter what anyone says in any of the airline forums at FT...They are all as good or bad as the rest. And, one thing for sure, they will ALL make changes for the worse...Not Better!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I moved on to NW. If they screw up, I'll find something else.

Lehava's problem, is that unless she moves, she doesn't have any good options.

I would drive to SYR before I flew GhettoWest. That's just me.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 8:32 am

Programs: DL FC, NW
Didn't DL only have 1 NS flt. to/from ATL and 2 to/from JFK from BGM?? Seems tough to match up these few flights for a lot of travel.

Last edited by USCGamecock; Jul 24, 2007 at 6:11 pm
Old Jul 15, 2007, 8:44 am

No, when I started flying, I flew Republic...then NW bought them...Flew them for many years. My territory was changed, so I switched to DL. That's why so many NW miles..And, those are total miles , not BIS. NW does not have a MM program like DL.
Now the world makes sense again.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 10:26 am

whatever the Hell Louisville is called
The former Standiford Field = SDF

Originally Posted by USCGamecock
Didn't DL only have 1 NS flt. to/from ATL and 2 to/from JFK from BNG?? Seems tough to match up these few flights for a lot of travel.
Banning, CA doesn't have service from JFK or ATL. I believe you mean BGM.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 10:39 am

Programs: LT AAdvantage Gold
Lehava

So sorry to hear that dear old Link field is losing a primary tenant. I used to go to BGM from DFW back in the 80's, and I got to spend some nights in Pittsburgh and some in Flushing (there was commuter service to LGA) but it was always fun to get there and have a spoedie.

One problem, as I recall, is that the airport is sort of on top of a mountain. This makes the weather highly unpredictable, to say the least.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 11:08 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by USCGamecock
Didn't DL only have 1 NS flt. to/from ATL and 2 to/from JFK from BNG?? Seems tough to match up these few flights for a lot of travel.
That is the current schedule but you need to know the history here:

since Delta came to BGM until June 8, 2006...BGM-CVG - varied between 2 and three flights a day (this is what we lovingly refer to at BGM now as "the good old days"). These flights were comair, the staffing was great and they had a VERY high on time reliability. I could count on getting in early in both directions.

June 8,2006 (The day the widget started to die at BGM) until May 2007 - 2 flights a day BGM-ATL and back. Loads really good on these flights, reliability bad but improving, a ton of cancellations in the first few months which really turned people off (this was during the runway closed at ATL days).

May 2007-Present JFK added, 2 flights a day, one ATL retained. Horrible reliability on the JFK, they brought in props for it in early June. It runs HOURS behind usually. The ATL has suffered also because what they have done is run an ATL-BGM-JFK route as the inbound, and if JFK is holding they usually delay it in ATL not here.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 11:16 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by jpmcdonough
Lehava

So sorry to hear that dear old Link field is losing a primary tenant. I used to go to BGM from DFW back in the 80's, and I got to spend some nights in Pittsburgh and some in Flushing (there was commuter service to LGA) but it was always fun to get there and have a spoedie.

One problem, as I recall, is that the airport is sort of on top of a mountain. This makes the weather highly unpredictable, to say the least.
Yes we sit on the top of Mt Ettrick, but I can say the weather at the airport really isnt an issue. I have only once in all the years I have been flying out of here had an inbound diverted for the weather, and normally cancellations are about the other airport not BGM. Our grounds folks do a PHENOM job keeping our little airport open.

Here is a great piece on BGM's history for anyone interested http://www.binghamtonairport.com/avi...ionHistory.php

Oh and Spiedie fest is coming up in a couple weeks, fly in on DL while you still can *smile* http://www.spiediefest.com/

And if you dont know what a spiedie is you are missing out big time *smile*
Old Jul 15, 2007, 11:22 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Too Little too late, but it looks like our senators are trying to cover their butts on this http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pb...707150333/1006

Hillary is here on Tuesday, cant wait to hear her spin this one. Had our economic issues been dealt with in the past by our leadership this wouldnt be going on.

While I would LOVE to see the service saved, it will only be for however long and then we will be right back here...........
Old Jul 15, 2007, 11:54 am

Programs: LT AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Lehava
Yes we sit on the top of Mt Ettrick, but I can say the weather at the airport really isnt an issue. I have only once in all the years I have been flying out of here had an inbound diverted for the weather, and normally cancellations are about the other airport not BGM. Our grounds folks do a PHENOM job keeping our little airport open.

Here is a great piece on BGM's history for anyone interested http://www.binghamtonairport.com/avi...ionHistory.php

Oh and Spiedie fest is coming up in a couple weeks, fly in on DL while you still can *smile* http://www.spiediefest.com/

And if you dont know what a spiedie is you are missing out big time *smile*
I used to love those things, but noplace other than BGM seems to have them. Oh, well, at least we have Tex-Mex!
Old Jul 15, 2007, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
To the OP: It is an absolutely fundamental error to "love" a commercial airline. They are not in the game for love...
Old Jul 15, 2007, 7:02 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
About the only thing that is certain is that things will change.

Lehava - I realise it isn't much consolation, but at least you have other airlines serving BGM. There are plenty of places with only a single airline.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Anyone remember Mohawk Airlines back in the 60s? Binghampton, Ithaca, Elmira, Glens Falls, Jamestown, Oneonta, Watertown, Massena, and Plattsburgh in addition to SYR, UCA, ROC, BUF, ALB. They REALLY had upstate covered!

Their HQ was Utica, I believe. That would make a great trivia question: What city was once the HQ for an airline but currently has no air service at all?

Edited to add: Just recalled Empire Airlines... I believe they also had a HQ at UCA before shifting most of their activity to SYR. So that would make UCA the former HQ for two jet airlines... now zilch!

Last edited by RobertS975; Jul 16, 2007 at 6:12 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.