Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Boston (BOS): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum connection time for DL-DL connections at BOS:

Domestic flight-domestic flight: 25 minutes if going to/from BUF, BGR, HPN, or ROC, NOT ALLOWED on a single ticket otherwise.

Domestic flight-international flight:
  • 25 minutes if going to an airport in Canada with preclearance
  • 40 minutes if going to AUA, BDA, or NAS
  • 1 hour 15 minutes if the international flight departs from terminal E (most TATL flights now depart from E.)
  • 30 minutes if none of the above applies
International flight-domestic flight: 1 hour 30 minutes. Exceptions: 25 minutes if coming from an airport in Canada with preclearance; 40 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, or NAS; and until 10/28, 1 hour 40 minutes if arriving from AMS on DL 257, ATH on any DL flight, or TLV on any DL flight ​​​​​​. Note DUB is NOT exempt from the 90 minute MCT.

International flight-international flight: 1 hour 30 minutes. Exceptions: 40 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, or NAS. Note DUB is NOT exempt from the 90 minute MCT.

Special note about arriving on an international flight: Due to BOS's setup, all non-precleared international flights arrive in terminal E. However, all domestic and some international DL flights depart from Terminal A. The exception is most TATL flights, which depart from Terminal E. To get from E to A, you can either take Massport shuttle #11 or walk through the parking garage; the 10 minute walk is completely covered, well signed, and has moving walkways.

MCT for DL to/from its partners:

DL-AF: 1 hour 20 minutes. Note you'll have to get from terminal A to terminal E, unless arriving on a flight from a non-precleared airport outside the US. In that case, you won't have to change terminals.

AF-DL: 1 hour 30 minutes, unless the DL flight leaves from terminal E, in which case MCT is 1 hour 20 minutes. Note that for an international to domestic connection, you'll have to get from terminal E to terminal A.

DL-KE: 1 hour if the DL flight is domestic or arriving from a precleared airport; 1 hour 30 minutes otherwise. Note you'll have to get from terminal A to terminal E, unless arriving on a flight from a non-precleared airport outside the US. In that case, you won't have to change terminals.

KE-DL: 1 hour 30 minutes. Note you'll have to get from terminal E to terminal A, unless departing on one of the TATL flights that departs from E.

DL-KL: 1 hour if the DL flight is domestic or arriving from a precleared airport; 1 hour 30 minutes otherwise. Note you'll have to get from terminal A to terminal E, unless arriving on a flight from a non-precleared airport outside the US. In that case, you won't have to change terminals.

KL-DL: 1 hour 30 minutes. Note you'll have to get from terminal E to terminal A.

DL-VS: 1 hour 15 minutes if the DL flight is domestic or coming from a pre-cleared airport; 1 hour 30 minutes otherwise. Note you'll have to get from terminal A to terminal E, unless arriving on a flight from a non-precleared airport outside the US. In that case, you won't have to change terminals.

VS-DL: 1 hour 30 minutes. Note you'll have to get from terminal E to terminal A.

DL-WS: 40 minutes if the DL flight is domestic or coming from a pre-cleared airport; 2 hours otherwise. WS operates from terminal A, so unless you're arriving on a non-precleared DL flight, you won't have to change terminals.

WS-DL: 1 hour unless connecting to a DL flight out of terminal E, in which case MCT is 1 hour 15 minutes. All WS flights into BOS are precleared and arrive at terminal A, so you won't have to switch terminals unless the DL flight is out of E.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Boston (BOS): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2008, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by docrok
Thanks. All very helpful replies.

If I were to ask to be accommodated on a different flight is it recommended that I do it when I get to the gate at JFK? Or best to call now?
I doubt they will do anything if you call now. When you get to JFK if DL31 has taken a delay, ask to go on DL80 to AMS. I am shocked that they would sell a 67min connection from DL to NW at BOS, it is just asking for trouble.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Thanks. All very helpful replies.

If I were to ask to be accommodated on a different flight is it recommended that I do it when I get to the gate at JFK? Or best to call now?
Nobody is likely to do anything now, as the flights are still legal, and your change would require significant fees absent irregular operations. Best to ask at JFK upon checkin. If they won't move you then, you should keep any eye on your flight, and at the first sign of delay, immediately ask at the desk. Phone agents are fairly powerless until things have already gone wrong, but airport agents can take preventative steps.

BTW, as the previous poster suggested, this conx was asking for trouble even in the best of weather.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
While SDC is technically not allowed, if you have carry-on only and arrive at JFK in time for the earlier flight, you might ask to be accommodated.

All they can do is say "no" (JFK has been terrible about changes for me when it involves Comair, but ATL did just that yesterday on mainline, allowing me to take the 4:20 to DCA instead of the 5:20. I was on an intl itinerary).
Old Dec 22, 2008, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
DL 31 is due in at 1808
NW 38 leaves BOS for AMS at 1915, arrives at 0810. Airbus 333
NW 60 leaves BOS for AMS at 2200, arrives at 1100. 757

Yes, the 333 is a bit more comfy, but if you miss the connection they sould accomodate you on the 757, so it will be an inconvenience, but not a nightmare. (unless you HAVE to be in AMS in the morning)

btw, NW 54 leaves JFK at 1630, arrives AMS at 0600, also on a 757. So if it is clear by 1530 that there is a problem with DL 31, ask them to accomodate you on NW 54.
In fact, if you are in the back, you may be more comfortable on the 757 -- seat pitch is 33-34" and even better if you can get exit rows 21 or 22, except 21 may not recline.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by NHFL9
I doubt they will do anything if you call now. When you get to JFK if DL31 has taken a delay, ask to go on DL80 to AMS. I am shocked that they would sell a 67min connection from DL to NW at BOS, it is just asking for trouble.
Trying to connect from JFK in BOS to International (in the winter) should have at least three hours (to cover the delays) and change of terminals.
Get to JFK for an earlier DL flight to BOS but they are all showing sold out.
Call DL and see if they can accomidate you (due to lousy North East weather & delays) on an earlier flight (maybe even from LGA).

Last edited by zman; Dec 22, 2008 at 2:34 pm
Old Dec 22, 2008, 3:47 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
That's an absurd connection under all but the most ideal conditions. Unfortunately, DL80 looks sold out in back according to KVS. Ditto for NW 54 JFK-AMS.

Was the connection this tight when it was sold to you, or have there been schedule changes since then? If the latter, use that to press your case.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 3:49 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by mersk862
It's about a 15 minute trek from where you'll land on DL31 (the satellite) over to E. When coming out of the Satellite tunnel, bear to the right, take the escalator to the main departure hall. Go left by Gates A1-A6, exit the secure area there, bear to the left and go up another escalator. Go all the way down that hallway until you hit Terminal E. Main security checkpoint in E will be a zoo at that time of day, so go all the way to the left by the NW check-in counters and clear security down there - should be a lot faster. Then you'll make your way back to Gate E3, which is where the AMS flights leave from.

Hour might be pushing it...can you SDC to an earlier DL flight?
Just to be clear, there are some important details missing between "bear to the left and go up another escalator" and "Go all the way down that hallway until you hit Terminal E."

To be clear, when you get to the top of that escalator, you take some long moving walkways in a bridge over some roads. This dumps you in Central Parking. From there, follow the signs to Terminal E. You'll be trekking through a large garage.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
If at all possible, I would suggest that the OP use carry-on only. If/when it looks like things are going south between check-in and departure at JFK, not having checked bags increases the options that may be available to the agent if re-routing is necessary.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 4:47 pm

Programs: Varying levels of elite and non-elite across several vendors.
Originally Posted by andymo99
That's an absurd connection under all but the most ideal conditions. Unfortunately, DL80 looks sold out in back according to KVS. Ditto for NW 54 JFK-AMS.

Was the connection this tight when it was sold to you, or have there been schedule changes since then? If the latter, use that to press your case.

Let us know how it turns out.
The connection WAS indeed that tight when I booked it. I would have normally just gone JFK-AMS but I was booking my companions ticket with skymiles (which only further complicates things)...thus the unfortunate connection.

Talked to 2 agents so far. One seemed more than willing to put me on an earlier DL flight to BOS but everything was sold out. Called back to see what we could do out of LGA but was reminded that this was a legal connection. So we'll see what happens tomorrow.

We're not checking bags.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by andymo99
Just to be clear, there are some important details missing between "bear to the left and go up another escalator" and "Go all the way down that hallway until you hit Terminal E."

To be clear, when you get to the top of that escalator, you take some long moving walkways in a bridge over some roads. This dumps you in Central Parking. From there, follow the signs to Terminal E. You'll be trekking through a large garage.
The several moving walk ways go all the way from A to E
You do not actually go into the parking garage.
From the time you get off the plane it will take 15 min to get to E
which will be faster then the BUS.
See link below:
The light blue line that starts right below the big A is the walk way
http://www.massport.com/logan/insid.html

Today's flight was only 17min late but came in to A13, the farthest away. Add 5-10 min to the 15 above if u come in A13-A23 (the remote gates)

Last edited by zman; Dec 22, 2008 at 5:03 pm
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:05 am

zman, thanks for updating my poor memory.

DL30 is again scheduled to arrive at A13 today, which is fairly typical.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 6:59 pm

Programs: Varying levels of elite and non-elite across several vendors.
Thanks All!

In the end we did make the flight but it really IS a ridiculous connection given the time allowed. Pulled into A13 and had to get to one of the further E gates to board. By the time we got there they were at least 3/4 thru general boarding so we had missed out on elite boarding which normally wouldn’t bother me but we were in row 10 (exit row w/no floor stowage, limited overhead) so had to store our carry-ons a few rows back.

My GF (there's an acronym you don't see much on flyertalk) thought I was joking somewhere around the 8th moving walkway. Flight NW flight to AMS was fantastic otherwise...The AF flight back from Paris today was another story.

Thanks again for all your suggestions and help.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 7:09 pm

In the end we did make the flight but it really IS a ridiculous connection given the time allowed. Pulled into A13 and had to get to one of the further E gates to board. By the time we got there they were at least 3/4 thru general boarding so we had missed out on elite boarding which normally wouldn’t bother me but we were in row 10 (exit row w/no floor stowage, limited overhead) so had to store our carry-ons a few rows back.

My GF (there's an acronym you don't see much on flyertalk) thought I was joking somewhere around the 8th moving walkway. Flight NW flight to AMS was fantastic otherwise...The AF flight back from Paris today was another story.

Thanks again for all your suggestions and help.

Glad u made the flight.
I have never counted the moving walkways, but know there is a lot of them.
Some of them sometimes are NOT working, and that will really make you curse.
It was still faster then the Massport bus as it would have made numerous stops and can get stuck in traffic.
I think DL is working on getting the NW flights moved to A but not sure if they have enough gates since they gave a bunch up to CO.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by zman
Glad u made the flight.
I have never counted the moving walkways, but know there is a lot of them.
Some of them sometimes are NOT working, and that will really make you curse.
It was still faster then the Massport bus as it would have made numerous stops and can get stuck in traffic.
I think DL is working on getting the NW flights moved to A but not sure if they have enough gates since they gave a bunch up to CO.
From what I've been told, NW will be moving over to Terminal A come March or so. Gates aren't a huge issue - DL has 13 mainline/CRJ-900 (non-Shuttle) overnight planes at BOS, NW has 5. DL has 12 gates for these flights (all of the satellite, plus A1/A2, with the Shuttle at A3/A4), so 5 planes would have to be remotely parked, but those can easily fill in by 615a, since the BDA, RSW, an ATL, a DTW and a CVG flight all leave after 745a and by 615a, an ATL, a CVG, MEM, a DTW, a MSP, and a JFK flight are all gone (have the second CVG flight use the first CVG flight's gate since that's a 530a departure).

Only real issue is the AMS A330 flight - A13 can handle a 767-300 without shutting down A14 (providing that an MD-80 uses A14...not sure if a 737 or 757 can fit there), but put the A330 there and you shut down A14 as well.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by mersk862
From what I've been told, NW will be moving over to Terminal A come March or so. Gates aren't a huge issue - DL has 13 mainline/CRJ-900 (non-Shuttle) overnight planes at BOS, NW has 5. DL has 12 gates for these flights (all of the satellite, plus A1/A2, with the Shuttle at A3/A4), so 5 planes would have to be remotely parked, but those can easily fill in by 615a, since the BDA, RSW, an ATL, a DTW and a CVG flight all leave after 745a and by 615a, an ATL, a CVG, MEM, a DTW, a MSP, and a JFK flight are all gone (have the second CVG flight use the first CVG flight's gate since that's a 530a departure).

Only real issue is the AMS A330 flight - A13 can handle a 767-300 without shutting down A14 (providing that an MD-80 uses A14...not sure if a 737 or 757 can fit there), but put the A330 there and you shut down A14 as well.

Good info
Virgin America starts flying form BOS in mid Feb.
They were suppose to be getting two of the NW gates in E.

The A330 will still need to arrive at E (Customs/Immigration) and move to A
an hour before departure.
DL has extra parking space over near E where their hanger is.

Also what will happen with the NW club employees in E.
Until the full integration some of them will need to move to the DL
Crown room in A satellite.

There is pleany of counter/check in space in A. CO is using only 1/2 of the left side.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.