Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum Connecting Time at DTW, per Expertflyer
Note: If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it counts as a domestic arrival, and the D-I or D-D times below apply.
DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes

D-I: 35 minutes (30 minutes if connecting to NRT)

I-D: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

I-I: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

Generic online and offline connections:
D-D: 45 minutes
D-I: 1 hour
I-D: 1 hour 30 minutes
I-I: 1 hour

For connections between DL and another carrier: 2 hours for D-D and D-I; 2 hours 30 minutes for I-D and I-I.

Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Actually its 6 hours.
Thank you for the correction.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by RumPatrol
My scheduled layover is 5 hours and 51 minutes, which is why I asked this to begin with as I really would appreciate the shower and change of clothes. Even if I skipped DTW-YYZ, the layover for the other flight is the same. I don't suppose I could talk them into 9 minutes of leeway when checking in at NRT?
Japan is very much a rules-based culture but asking politely may generate a polite and helpful response.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Japan is very much a rules-based culture but asking politely may generate a polite and helpful response.
Even if I go the carry-on only route I might ask just for future reference since I'll have another one of these coming up not long after.

Were I returning right back home from YYZ I wouldn't even consider skipping the final DTW-YYZ segment and none of this would matter but I now have to be somewhere else the following morning and my DTW-YYZ segment is the last flight of the day. The 0615 back out the next morning would cut it really close.

I'm hoping to rework my schedule but having some flexibility to just skip it and take the direct from DTW late that night would be helpful. Either way at least I won't be rushed through DTW and I'll have SC access to pass the time. Could be worse!
Old Jul 8, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Probably beat to death in here but is a 1:18 connection at DTW good for D-I.

Would be coming in from MCO-DTW-ICN in D1. Want to get on the 747 for the first and only time before they are gone.

Last edited by apodo77; Jul 8, 2017 at 3:26 pm
Old Jul 8, 2017, 3:24 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by apodo77
Probably beat to death in here but is a 1:18 connection at DTW good for D-I.
totally fine
Old Aug 6, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
Is 50 minutes adequate at DTW for the Itinerary Delta Airlines MDW-DTW-NRT-SIN?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 6:25 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Love_Travel
Is 50 minutes adequate at DTW for the Itinerary Delta Airlines MDW-DTW-NRT-SIN?
Under normal circumstances that should be plenty of time even if you have to go from B to A through the underground tunnel.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
Thank you

Originally Posted by Zorak
Under normal circumstances that should be plenty of time even if you have to go from B to A through the underground tunnel.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL - SM
So I booked a 30 minute connection D-D, SBN (Usually C term) - DTW - BOS (usually A). I didn't notice the connection time until after I booked it. I've flown the SBN - DTW trip dozens of times and it usually arrives early but with boarding T-40 and boarding closed at T-10(15?) I'm nervous. What happens if I miss the connection, is delta good about trying to get you on a later flight (there's one later that night that seems fairly empty).

Normally I flew SBN-DTW-PWM but the PWM leg gets in far too late so I will be flying into BOS and driving North. Now i'm thinking I'll probably miss that connection and end up being home just as late.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
If you miss a connection due to late arrival, Delta is very good about rebooking you on the next available flight.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: StarWood Hotels-Gold, Loews Hotels-Gold, RCI-Diamond, HH Diamond
I'm probably risking too much and likely take the earlier flight I am avoiding.

Need to travel TPA - DTW - FRA on two separate tickets with no luggage and I am GE.

The TPA - DTW is on delta arriving at 1:17pm. DTW - FRA is LH Business departing at 3:55pm.

Possible with no checked luggage, taking a cab from McNamara to North, and having TSA Precheck? I love DTW for its efficiencies, but despise this terminal connection issue.

Many thanks,

Andrew
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CoHiba Gent
I'm probably risking too much and likely take the earlier flight I am avoiding.

Need to travel TPA - DTW - FRA on two separate tickets with no luggage and I am GE.

The TPA - DTW is on delta arriving at 1:17pm. DTW - FRA is LH Business departing at 3:55pm.

Possible with no checked luggage, taking a cab from McNamara to North, and having TSA Precheck? I love DTW for its efficiencies, but despise this terminal connection issue.

Many thanks,

Andrew

Shouldn't be a problem with those times. The inter-terminal shuttle works quite well these days and there's no need for a cab unless you are really running late. Obviously there's no protection should you have significant issues, but you do have a fair amount of slack time with that schedule.

Terminal to Terminal

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 30, 2018 at 12:51 pm
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I put this to the test on Wednesday, as a mechanical cut my 66 minute connection down to 38. Two minutes to get off the plane, two minutes to hit the bathroom, and I was at T-34 which meant I had 19 minutes to get from B6 to A29.

It was trivially easy. I walked at a pretty slow pace, maybe a 22-minute mile pace, and stopped for 30 seconds on each of the moving walkways before starting to walk again.

The terminal map in the Delta app said it would take 7 minutes. It took me 10.5, and I got to the gate as they were announcing "boarding all groups."

With this in mind, I've set my buffer for DTW down to 45 minutes for morning flights with good on-time records, and keeping it at 55 for evening flights.
wxman22 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:23 pm

36 minute connection at DTW on MCI - DTW - ICN - BKK on a Tuesday afternoon (arrive at DTW 1:15 p.m., depart at 1:51 p.m.)

We've been to DTW a few times, but never had such a short connection time. When we booked the flight, we had almost 2 hours. Is this doable to go from Domestic to International or should we call Delta and ask for an earlier MCI - DTW flight? We will have carry-on luggage and one checked bag (that should be checked through) but we are in row 15 (closest we could get). Any help would be appreciated!
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Jfultz81
36 minute connection at DTW on MCI - DTW - ICN - BKK on a Tuesday afternoon (arrive at DTW 1:15 p.m., depart at 1:51 p.m.)

We've been to DTW a few times, but never had such a short connection time. When we booked the flight, we had almost 2 hours. Is this doable to go from Domestic to International or should we call Delta and ask for an earlier MCI - DTW flight? We will have carry-on luggage and one checked bag (that should be checked through) but we are in row 15 (closest we could get). Any help would be appreciated!
That is pretty tight -- this thread shows the MCT for DL-DL I-D as 40 minutes. Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread
I expect there is an earlier MCI-DTW flight that you could change to? Or DL might reroute you through ATL or SEA but you would miss the 350.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.