Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum Connecting Time at DTW, per Expertflyer
Note: If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it counts as a domestic arrival, and the D-I or D-D times below apply.
DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes

D-I: 35 minutes (30 minutes if connecting to NRT)

I-D: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

I-I: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

Generic online and offline connections:
D-D: 45 minutes
D-I: 1 hour
I-D: 1 hour 30 minutes
I-I: 1 hour

For connections between DL and another carrier: 2 hours for D-D and D-I; 2 hours 30 minutes for I-D and I-I.

Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2003, 9:32 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Viajero Joven:
rgoel, I'm doing a 54 min. connection tonight DCA--DTW--AMS. I'm not worried.

</font>
Didn't you just get back from Mexico yesterday???? I wish I had as many vacation days as you!
Old Mar 19, 2003, 10:35 am

One hour is plenty of time....the international flights all depart from the centermost portion of the main terminal. Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 19, 2003, 11:09 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
As to lounges -- can't comment on DTW, but the KLM business class lounge in AMS is fairly nice. Last time I visited there was good coffee, soft drinks, alcoholic beverages and lots of prepackaged cheeses and crackers and bread. The KLM lounge in NBO is nice, but a way off from the gates, as I recall. I spent about three hours there before the red-eye from NBO to AMS.
tom
Old Mar 19, 2003, 1:15 pm

Location: SEATTLE, WA, Preferred airlines NW/AS/AA lots of mile but no status on any :(
It's true 1 hour is sufficient to make the connection untill unless your flight gets late as you are making a domestic to International so all your baggage will be checked in and you will have your boarding pass ready.

I made an International to domestic connection in 1 hr 15 minutes at DTW during my AMS-DTW and DTW-SEA flight last week in which I had to clear immigration/custom, collect my baggage and re-chekin by baggage.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL 2+Million Miler, Delta Platinum(by choice), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
Detroit is really easy as others have mentioned as most international departures depart from the very center of the airport and the NW lounge is really close. The tram takes at most 5 minutes including wait time to get to the center. It doesn't make any stops except at the ends and the center.

I have the opposite problem. I'm landing in AMS with only a 1 hour connection from a NW flight to a KLM flight going to Rome. Is this enough time? It will be at 6AM in the morning.

------------------
Old Mar 19, 2003, 7:05 pm

I would recommend taking the earlier flight with 4 hrs lay over. Why to risk having a late incoming domestic flight connecting to an international trip. I am not disputing 1 hour is not enough in the new DTW terminal, but international ones close boarding about 30 minutes before the schedules departure. If it is me, I would take the earlier flight. Plus you being new to DTW & NW, you can easily spend those 4 hrs in the new DTW terminal.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL, ZSR, MHD ;)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FOOLISHRUNNER:
I have the opposite problem. I'm landing in AMS with only a 1 hour connection from a NW flight to a KLM flight going to Rome. Is this enough time? It will be at 6AM in the morning.</font>
You'll be fine as long as the inbound flight is not delayed too much, which is more than some 25 to 30 mins.

Typically, I need some 20 minutes (supposing I'm sitting at around row 10 to 12 on DC10) to make it from F or G concourses (international arrivals), through passport control, to B or C concourses.

Since you are arriving early in the morning at 6AM there would be VERY short line at the passport control, maybe even none.

If you have never been to AMS I'd say you can make the connection in some 30 mins at most.

Study the AMS airport map at http://www.nwa.com/travel/trave/

--Jano
Old Mar 20, 2003, 9:23 pm

Thanks to all for the excellent advice. Sounds like an hour should be plenty, assuming the flight leaves PHL on time and doesn't get delayed in the air or on the ground.

I'm leaning towards the earlier flight (with the 4 hour layover) just in case that happens. I don't know want to get my vacation started on the wrong foot.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 7:03 am

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold
1 hour should be plenty of time IFF you are willing to risk your flight arriving late. KL only has one flight a day to NBO. If you miss your connecting flight, you will lose a day in NBO. Furthermore, you may end up in coach if there are no WBC seats available. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. In fact, I had a similar choice in December, and I decided to be safe and take a 3 hour layover instead of a 1 hour one.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 8:33 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rgoel:
I'm leaning towards the earlier flight (with the 4 hour layover) just in case that happens. I don't know want to get my vacation started on the wrong foot.</font>
I agree. I wouldn't sit around this long on a business trip, but as there is only one flight from AMS and since you're going business and can use the lounges, I think this will lower your stress level, and that's what's vacations are about, right?

The Detroit center lounge is nice and you can sit around and look at the fountain for a few hours!

Have fun!
Old Mar 22, 2003, 7:52 am

Programs: DL 2+Million Miler, Delta Platinum(by choice), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
Jano: Thanks for the reply!

------------------
Old Mar 22, 2003, 9:48 am

I concur with the previous posts - take the earlier inbound flight to DTW and look over the (nearly)new DTW. I remember a previous ORD/DTW/LGW trip where I was booked on the tightest ORD/DTW flight which was cancelled at the gate, making it impossible to get on the DTW/LGW part. NWA offered to offline me on several ORD/LGW direct flights, with one catch - I had to give up my World Business Class seat and fly steerage. We "compromised" by changing both outbound and return by one day and I retained my WBC seat. All of this would have been avoided if NWA had initially booked me on an earlier ORD/DTW flight.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 6:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
During your layover, don't forget to check out the tunnel between concourse A and concourses B/C...it's awesome!
Old Mar 23, 2003, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL, ZSR, MHD ;)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FOOLISHRUNNER:
Jano: Thanks for the reply!

</font>
FOOLISHRUNNER, you are welcome.

--Jano
Old Mar 25, 2003, 9:41 am

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by thezipper:
Didn't you just get back from Mexico yesterday???? I wish I had as many vacation days as you!</font>

I did. I've been in the process of burning vacation days along with my miles.

I arrived DC Tues AMfrom Mexico, worked 9 hours Tues., worked 9 hours Wed., then flew out Wed. PM.

I did make my flight with no trouble.... and it looks like I wasn't the only Fter on that connection..... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum28/HTML/001354.html

The gate-to-gate walk time was 6 min. tops. Boarding was 30 min. prior (a little later since the crew was late) so I was never worried about the connection. rgoel, you should be OK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.