Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for some advice on this ticket

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles Member, Global Entry,AA Gold
Looking for some advice on this ticket

Hi I am going to be traveling overseas at the end of the year and I am flying from PHX-HYD & I want to fly via delta to earn miles. So I found this ticket: PHX-MSP-AMS-BOM-HYD, via KLM & Jet Airways. Return is HYD-BOM-AMS-LAX-PHX. If I buy this ticket would I be taking a risk due to so many connections ? Would I be better off finding a ticket with a lot less stops and or fly another airlines ?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
In general, I wouldn't worry about that itinerary. You don't give us your connection information (how much time you have in each airport between flights) but I fly more complicated itineraries than that without concern.

You don't specify, but I assume that this in all on one ticket. if it's not then that would introduce additional risk. But, on one ticket the airlines will generally assist you if you miss a connection.

If you are concerned you might consider buying travel insurance to cover the various possible mishaps that can occur.

One thing I would avoid is checked luggage. A checked bag's chances of getting mishandled increases when you add connections and multiple carriers.

Sounds like a fun trip.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
In general, I wouldn't worry about that itinerary. You don't give us your connection information (how much time you have in each airport between flights) but I fly more complicated itineraries than that without concern.

You don't specify, but I assume that this in all on one ticket. if it's not then that would introduce additional risk. But, on one ticket the airlines will generally assist you if you miss a connection.

If you are concerned you might consider buying travel insurance to cover the various possible mishaps that can occur.

One thing I would avoid is checked luggage. A checked bag's chances of getting mishandled increases when you add connections and multiple carriers.

Sounds like a fun trip.
There will be checked in luggage since I am going to see family. I can post a copy of the itinerary. It would be one ticket, I found the ticket via Google Flights & will use TA or call KLM to book the ticket.

10:00 AM - 4:15 AM+2
Delta Air Lines Inc., Jet Airways (India) Limited
3 stops
45m in MSP, 4h 55m in AMS, 2h 40m in BOM

9:30 PM - 5:12 PM+1
Jet Airways (India) Limited, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Delta Air Lines Inc.
3 stops
5h 10m in BOM, 1h 00m in AMS, 2h 55m in LAX
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by comptr
There will be checked in luggage since I am going to see family. I can post a copy of the itinerary. It would be one ticket, I found the ticket via Google Flights & will use TA or call KLM to book the ticket.

3 stops

3 stops
I'd try to get more connecting time at some of these airports.

For example, on outbound, there must be an earlier DL flight from PHX to MSP than 10 am. In this case, 45 minutes is fine but tight (with no time to stop along the way) to connect at MSP but no hope if the first flight is delayed. Alternatively, there might be a later flight from MSP to AMS that still had adequate connecting time at AMS, but I wouldn't want to be under two hours for a once a day service.

On the return, again I'd try for a TATL flight that gives more than an hour for the AMS connection. For LAX, I'd want over two hours (this itinerary has almost three hours), especially if you don't have a USA passport and/or GE.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you are on one ticket and the flights are bookable, they are within MCT. But, MCT is not necessarily within SCT (Sensible Connection Time). While connections are "protected" in that the late delivering carrier will rebook you if there is a misconnect, the alternatives at the last minute are not always attractive and the seating may be the worst on the aircraft.

If you are not in a hurry, book yourself enough time to make these connections in good time and also recognize that on international tickets, connections are good for up to 24 hours. Thus, if you happen to want a day in Minneapolis or Amsterdam, you can book up to 23:59.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

3 stops

3 stops
Looks doable on outbound. If MSP is running late, can get routed to LAX/SLC/SEA-AMS.

Return issue is at AMS. 9W IME runs lates. Thus 1 hour isn't enough. There's two AMS/LAX a day.

Regardless if on one ticket they'll rebook you if you misconnect.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:00 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Looks doable on outbound. If MSP is running late, can get routed to LAX/SLC/SEA-AMS.

Return issue is at AMS. 9W IME runs lates. Thus 1 hour isn't enough. There's two AMS/LAX a day.

Regardless if on one ticket they'll rebook you if you misconnect.
But, getting rebooked can be stressful, and can definitely increase the chance of your bags going astray.

Similarly, a 45-minute or 1-hour connection can also increase the risk of a bag getting lost, because even if you run to make your connection, your bag might not make it. And with multiple airlines involved in the ticket, even if they're all partners, resolving a missing bag can get a lot more complicated because the different airlines may point the finger at each other.

I would not book this ticket personally if I planned to check a bag. Find something with minimum 2 hours to connect at each airport. As others have noted it should be possible, though it may be more expensive.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
3 stops

3 stops
I agree with previous posters that 45 min in MSP and 1 hr in AMS can be a problem. More so in AMS as flights out of BOM could be late IME, and that cuts your connection to a dangerous level.

If the flights with longer connections get to be too expensive, you should consider flying on another airline/alliance.

Also, 2hr 40min in BOM should be plenty of time, but just be aware that immigration a little after midnight can be quite long.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bgriff
But, getting rebooked can be stressful, and can definitely increase the chance of your bags going astray.

Similarly, a 45-minute or 1-hour connection can also increase the risk of a bag getting lost, because even if you run to make your connection, your bag might not make it. And with multiple airlines involved in the ticket, even if they're all partners, resolving a missing bag can get a lot more complicated because the different airlines may point the finger at each other.

I would not book this ticket personally if I planned to check a bag. Find something with minimum 2 hours to connect at each airport. As others have noted it should be possible, though it may be more expensive.
If its going to be late enough to rebook at PHX, then bags will likely never be loaded on the PHX-MSP flight. I really wouldn't worry outbound. The return is definitely an issue at AMS. Although depending on timing there's two LAX flights a day. Also can go through CDG if needed, which can have up to three daily LAX flights. Basically you'll make it home even if on a different flight. However you run risk of bags misconnecting.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

First of all I would like to say thank you. I will most probably find another flight for both ways of the ticket or just go on another airlines if I can't find one that works for me. I had some date changes for the tickets so I will need to look again. Thank You for the Help.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: Delta PM, CSR
45mins at MSP is doable but definitely a bit stressful - it also depends how close your arrival and departure gates are which you won't know ahead of time. The one time I did this from LAX I made it but my bag didn't. Luckily it caught up with me at AMS as I had a long layover.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL PM
Those BOM layovers can be brutal - coming in off of a red eye, then waiting a few hours for your flight and transferring terminals. If I recall correctly, the domestic terminal won’t be open when you land, and you will have to wait before going over there. The domestic terminal that BOM-HYD goes out of is more of a commuter terminal. Unless you are fine with this kind of layover, you might consider a day room at an airport hotel (the Hilton is very nice), then taking a later flight. For the return, note that once you enter the international terminal you can not leave. Unless things have changed from the jet tie up, the Check-in doesn’t open for BOM-AMS until 3 hours before departure, and even if you had your bags checked through, you still had to check in at the counter, so you would be waiting for 2 hours in the pre-security area.

Flying a different route may be more pleasant.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by j.bell
Those BOM layovers can be brutal - coming in off of a red eye, then waiting a few hours for your flight and transferring terminals. If I recall correctly, the domestic terminal won’t be open when you land, and you will have to wait before going over there. The domestic terminal that BOM-HYD goes out of is more of a commuter terminal. Unless you are fine with this kind of layover, you might consider a day room at an airport hotel (the Hilton is very nice), then taking a later flight. For the return, note that once you enter the international terminal you can not leave. Unless things have changed from the jet tie up, the Check-in doesn’t open for BOM-AMS until 3 hours before departure, and even if you had your bags checked through, you still had to check in at the counter, so you would be waiting for 2 hours in the pre-security area.

Flying a different route may be more pleasant.
To be honest the more I think I about it the more it seems better to fly a different route or another airlines no need to book a ticket where I am worried if I will make my next flight and me being so tired just for a sake of miles, maybe its best to look for a different route.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
To be honest the more I think I about it the more it seems better to fly a different route or another airlines no need to book a ticket where I am worried if I will make my next flight and me being so tired just for a sake of miles, maybe its best to look for a different route.
That seems like a good idea. I've gotten tired of chasing miles when I go to India. That's probably why I've taken a different routing each time

AA/BA may be a good option with their service straight into HYD. And of course any of the ME3.

Have a great trip!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerWx
That seems like a good idea. I've gotten tired of chasing miles when I go to India. That's probably why I've taken a different routing each time

AA/BA may be a good option with their service straight into HYD. And of course any of the ME3.

Have a great trip!
yup, I ended up going with AA/BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.