Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyTeam lounges in Moscow

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:30 am
Original Poster

SkyTeam lounges in Moscow

I'll be flying a Delta-ticketed (Air France metal) flight to SVO shortly, coach class, en route to Tbilisi on an Aeroflot flight. I'll have a long layover both ways, and would like to get access to one of the lounges. Delta lists two partner lounges: BLUES Lounge and Jazz lounge. I'm a Diamond medallion.

Questions: (1) Will my SkyClub or Diamond Medallion cards get me access to either or both of these lounges? (2) If I can get access to both, which would you recommend? (3) More generally, I can't tell you how many times I have arrived at a foreign airport (usually in obscure places with language barriers), tried to access a lounge I thought I was entitled to access (including several times where I had been told by Delta folks I'd have access), but then been denied entry on grounds I couldn't comprehend. If anyone has advice on what I can do ahead of time to avoid such situations, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:13 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Your SkyTeam Elite+ membership will get you access to any Aeroflot lounges as well.

This page may help clarify:
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-of-terms.html

As will this one (specifically the Third Party Business Lounge section):
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-benefits.html
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Blue and jazz are basically exactly the same. Both windowless hellholes. Among the worst lounges i've visited, sadly...
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Any suggestions on other options for 6- & 12-hour layovers in SVO? I can't leave the airport since I won't have a Russian visa.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used a couple priority pass lounges at SVO (allstar and some other). Windowless but quite acceptable overall - better than most lounges in US.
6 hr is lot though and 12 is brutal - i d look into getting a visa and doing sightseeing -aeroexpress train can reliably get you in and out..
alternatively there is a capsule hotel inside transit and novotel that has some rooms accessible without visa.

Last edited by azepine00; Sep 21, 2017 at 1:07 pm
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: AF LTP, LH Sen, M Amb
ProfRB, there is a very good MasterCard lounge (by international standards, I mean you don't expect to find such a gem in Moscow) with sit down restaurant with extensive menu (salads, cooked-to-order mains and so on). You need to have World Elite Mastercard® (issued in any country) to get access to.

Alternatively there is a transit hotel in Terminal E (airside, you don't need a visa to get to and all the terminals are connected airside). I've heard it's really basic and nothing to write home about, but still might work. You absolutely must book in advance. Each time I pass by the entrance they have a note "No Vacancy".
http://www.v-exp.ru

Aeroflot lounges, your last resort, as previously mentioned are subpar, though the food has got significantly better over the last couple of years. You're guaranteed a couple of soups, a couple of hot mains + various cold cuts and veggies. Some alcoholic beverages (4 cheap wines, gin, vodka, martini, etc) are free of charge. Depending on the time the lounges could be nearly empty and quiet + there are chairs with ottomans + general ambience is dark. I mean, if you are lucky and not a light sleeper you can even nap there.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ProfRB
Questions: (1) Will my SkyClub or Diamond Medallion cards get me access to either or both of these lounges? (2) If I can get access to both, which would you recommend? (3) More generally, I can't tell you how many times I have arrived at a foreign airport (usually in obscure places with language barriers), tried to access a lounge I thought I was entitled to access (including several times where I had been told by Delta folks I'd have access), but then been denied entry on grounds I couldn't comprehend. If anyone has advice on what I can do ahead of time to avoid such situations, I'd be very grateful!
(1) Your diamond card will - bring the physical card with you. You should also be able to access "Galaktika" in Terminal E (more on that in a moment)

(2) No difference. They are mirror images of each other. A little warm for my taste, but plenty of free booze and food if you are so inclined. They can get a bit loud/crowded at times. S'way it is.

(3) You should be fine, but bring the physical card with you and stick to your guns if challenged because: Russia. One of my favorite sayings from the 90s/00s was "Patience is necessary for Russia."

As for the length of your layover, 12 hours is brutal, as azepine00 pointed out. I likewise agree that you might want to look into the capsule hotel idea, but that's no great shakes, either. Other than that there will be plenty of duty free.

If you are arriving on AF then, barring unforeseen circumstances, you will arrive at Terminal E and depart from Terminal D (or so the online departure board says for today). This is easy because D, E and F are all connected and you will have oceans of time.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the incredibly helpful advice!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Keep in mind that you NEED (absolutely need) a Russian phone number if you want Wifi in the lounge. It defies logic but you do.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
Keep in mind that you NEED (absolutely need) a Russian phone number if you want Wifi in the lounge. It defies logic but you do.
Echoing this.

Any lounges that you'll have access to via Skyteam are atrocious, as others have stated. They're routinely overcrowded with literally nowhere to sit. I've never had a positive lounge experience at SVO. I usually go for a quick bite, then try to find a gate without a departure in the immediate future where I can sit without having someone immediately to my left and to my right for a few hours, then throw in my headphones and zone out. Way more relaxing than any lounge.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Hi Occupationalhazard: Your post mentioned Galaktika, and said more would follow. Web profiles of it don't look promising. I'd love the benefit of your experience.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I was through in July and had access to both lounges. I tried both, they were both shockingly bad. I can't differentiate between the two really. My main memory is that bar stools at a large common table were the only seats available. They were so jammed together that you couldn't even get in or out out without asking someone next to you to scoot over or get out themselves. There was lots of food available but i found out why nobody was eating it, it was shockingly bad.

My suggestion would be to get a Russian Visa and get the hell out of there! But I didn't know about the Mastercard lounge...
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ProfRB
Hi Occupationalhazard: Your post mentioned Galaktika, and said more would follow. Web profiles of it don't look promising. I'd love the benefit of your experience.
Oh, the "more to follow" was really about making sure you had your physical diamond card with you.

"Galaktika" looks like someone did it up in a style of "Russian version of 'Space Mountain'". See photos here.

I didn't think the food was awful, but I've spent enough time in Russia to have developed a sense of equanimity about things. If you're used to the high life in the West, then Russia can seem less like "first world" and more "1.5 world" at times. I'm a country boy, so to me it was just fine.

I found the hot entrees to be tastier - after "breakfast" hours, there will typically be Russian buckwheat porridge and miniature chicken meatballs with sauce. It fills you up and is easy on the digestive tract. The pastries and breads and sandwiches are "meh", IMO. They won't kill you but they're not getting a 5 star Yelp review or whatever. I stuck to bottled water (light blue cap = still water, dark blue cap = bubbles).

I never had to have a Russian number to access wifi, but that may be a new thing; I haven't been through in some months.

Also you didn't mention (or maybe I forgot) if you are flying on a "merged" ticket or not. If you can, try to have the boarding pass for your connecting flight issued at your point of departure. If this isn't possible, then what you will like see is this (assuming that Terminal E is like Terminal D): you get off your plane, go up the escalator to the "arrivals" level, and then follow the "international connections" signs and you will arrive at the "transfer desk" just ahead of security. Get your onward BP issued there, then proceed through security, then go downstairs and wander about the airport, pretending you are Edward Snowden, etc. In your case you will eventually move from Terminal E to Terminal D. It's not really possible to screw that up, but if you wind up in "F" then you went the wrong way.

I don't know how much Russian you speak (if any) but signs will be in both English and Russian, generally, although staff may not always be bilingual. My Russian is pretty basic, and I manage ok. The important thing is to have patience (which, really, is a thing all international travelers need, but in Russia, particularly).

Hope that helps.

ETA: So I looked up the Mastercard Lounge, because I had never come across it, and it seems to be in the domestic area of Terminal D. Also, I saw conflicting info on admission, i.e. that you need a World Elite or "Black" Mastercard (or whatever) but it has to be issued by a Russian or Belarus (or similar) bank. I profess no direct knowledge, just reporting what I read on the interwebs.

O/H

Last edited by Occupationalhazard; Sep 22, 2017 at 11:50 pm
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:14 am

Programs: AF LTP, LH Sen, M Amb
"Galaktika" looks like.... I didn't think the food was awful
Apparently most of the lounges contracted by Aeroflot in terminals D and E - Classic (domestic area, terminal D), Jazz and Blues (international area, terminal D), Galactika (terminal E) are catered and managed by the same company (VIP International), so you'll find very similar food and beverage offers.

I mean there is absolutely nothing special with Galaktika lounge. It's all the same food, beverages. There are no comfy chairs for lounging there (while there are quite a few of them in Jazz&Blues). The only pos thing about Galaktika is that it has large windows. So it's absolutely no reason to pick Galaktika over Jazz or Blues. On top of that Galaktika is a PriorityPass lounge and gets very crowded with holidaymakers and families at times (coz a bunch of charter flights depart from terminal E).

So I looked up the Mastercard Lounge, because I had never come across it, and it seems to be in the domestic area of Terminal D. Also, I saw conflicting info on admission, i.e. that you need a World Elite or "Black" Mastercard (or whatever) but it has to be issued by a Russian or Belarus (or similar) bank. I profess no direct knowledge, just reporting what I read on the interwebs.
Nope. MasterCard lounge is in Terminal E (and there is no domestic area in Terminal E, it's entirely international). It's located on the same main Departure level as all the gates, other lounges, restaurants and outlets. I would say it's maybe 50-70 steps from Galaktika (going towards terminal D).

As for admission, nothing conflicting, it's pretty clear:
- World Elite Mastercard (issued in any country) - you have access + 1 guest + 2 kids 2-12 y.o.
- World Mastercard Black Edition® (issued in Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Kazakstan, Armenia) - you have access for 1500 RUB (can bring a guest for 1500 RUB as well).
all other cardholders are ineligible.

Before Sept 01, 2017 they allowed Black Edition cardholders in for free. Though the lounge began experiencing overcrowding and they have changed the admission rules.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
I visited in late 2015 as Elite Plus and was denied access to both Blues and Jazz. Didn't see/wasn't directed to Galatika.

Red Coat at SVO for DL (as I was flying DL) said Aeroflot doesn't have any lounges they operate at SVO - all are private - and the airline must pay for access. For DL, DL would only pay for access for their Delta One customers (SVO is listed on the third party lounge exceptions page, saying Elite Plus on DL tickets doesn't get access there)

All the lounges looked like crap there anyways. I more enjoyed buying the funny tshirts from the vending machines in the terminal, and other random activities there that passed the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.