Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AARP, DL Skymiles, Marriot Bonvoy, Moe's Rewards
Delta Ending Service To Guam

Found these online. One quotes Delta, the other is more speculation

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.guampdn.com/amp/675726001

https://www.saipantribune.com/index.php/delta-pulling-guam/
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
DL ends GUM Jan 2018

http://www.guampdn.com/story/news/20...ice/675726001/

* Japan's outbound tourism continues to dwindle.
* Last DL GUM route is NRT, last flight 2018-01-08.
* DL continues to fly NRT-SPN and NRT-ROR.
* NW has been flying GUM (always from Japan) since 1980s, post PA retreat.
* GUM-US market will be solely served by UA, unless people buy separate tickets on foreign carriers.

May I add:
* UA serves SPN only with UA Express/Cape Air.
* UA/CO has always been (since 1990s or earlier) the sole carrier for those US-GUM/SPN travelers without passports (GUM-HNL).
* NW once had an Airlink carrier flying between GUM/ROP/TIQ/SPN while mainline served GUM/SPN.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Sep 19, 2017 at 7:17 am Reason: merged into existing thread
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Woah, I thought DL had govt contracts for GUM with the base there.

Very disappointing.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Already posted. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...vice-guam.html
Old Sep 17, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
This stinks. I hope Saipan is not next.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by rylan
Woah, I thought DL had govt contracts for GUM with the base there.
Yes, DL got a few GSA FY2018 contracts, while UA got a lot more. However, UA was awarded GUM-SEL FY2018 even it was clear that the service would terminate less than a month into FY2018. DL's FL2018 contracts would be valid for more than a quarter.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 8:18 pm

Before I was a loyal Air Micronesia then UA customer, I was a loyal NW customer first and this is just disappointing. The only reason I switched from then NW to then CS and then stayed with them is because NW axed the HNL-GUM-HNL service, which I always thought did very well.

DL brought this change on themselves because of their weird schedules on the flights between GUM and NRT which either cause you to have a long layover in NRT to catch DL's afternoon bank of CONUS flights, or on the return to GUM from CONUS requiring you to overnight in NRT, depending on the day you depart. I feel in 2016 and 2017 that DL didn't even try to keep/attract more business from UA in GUM at all. Like I said, they brought this on themselves - don't blame soft demand from Japan.

I wonder what will happen to Delta Global Services (BKA "DGS") on GUM because they have the above and below wing airport contracts on GUM for KE, JL, and the low cost South Korean carriers.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
This is amazing, not least because of the huge U.S. military build-up on Guam.

I wonder if this means that Delta is eying a direct, non-stop flight to say Seattle or Los Angeles. Doesn't Delta have seasonal flights to Guam from other Japanese airports?

This really makes no sense because Delta has a strong base of customers in Guam. They even have a local Sky Miles credit card with a Guam bank.

I'm guessing Delta is only keeping its flights to Saipan and Paul because the governments there have contracts with Delta.

Not only is this another nail in the coffin for the Tokyo-Narita hub, but it's a slap in the face of Delta customers in the Pacific. I know a couple platinum and diamonds in that part of the world who will be very disappointed. Plus, it's not like they have choices as United's product to/from Guam is even worse than its product in the Lower 48.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
This is amazing, not least because of the huge U.S. military build-up on Guam.

I wonder if this means that Delta is eying a direct, non-stop flight to say Seattle or Los Angeles. Doesn't Delta have seasonal flights to Guam from other Japanese airports?

This really makes no sense because Delta has a strong base of customers in Guam. They even have a local Sky Miles credit card with a Guam bank.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by trust77
DL brought this change on themselves because of their weird schedules on the flights between GUM and NRT which either cause you to have a long layover in NRT to catch DL's afternoon bank of CONUS flights, or on the return to GUM from CONUS requiring you to overnight in NRT, depending on the day you depart. I feel in 2016 and 2017 that DL didn't even try to keep/attract more business from UA in GUM at all. Like I said, they brought this on themselves - don't blame soft demand from Japan.
Yeah. Delta never made an effort in the Guam market either, which is too bad because pretty much every frequent flyer there hates United. I know people in Guam who go out of their way to fly to Manila and then onward to the United States because the United product (and the prices!) out of Guam are absurd. And it's not like the airfares weren't profitable. Round-trip economy-class airfares from Washington, D.C., were often over $2200.

Of course, this just proves you can't trust Delta. Just a couple months ago the Delta CEO said they were 100% committed to the island routes out of Tokyo-Narita.

Unless Delta surprises us with a direct, non-stop to/from Guam via Los Angeles or Seattle (not totally impossible given all the U.S. Marines being relocated to Guam, to say nothing of the large Pacific Islander population on the West Coast), this means a Delta frequent flyer will either need to connect through Seoul on Korean or fly China Airlines to Taipei if they want to earn miles getting to/from Guam. I suppose you could fly to Manila on Delta and then Philippine Airlines from there to Guam.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:28 pm
Suspended

R.I.P. Tokyo-Narita. In the last four years, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Taipei, Osaka, New York-J.F.K., and now Guam have been eliminated. Wow.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Don't CZ and/or MU fly to Guam?
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Don't CZ and/or MU fly to Guam?
No. You may be thinking of China Airlines, which serves Guam from Taipei–Taoyuan.

Korean Air serves Guam from Osaka–Kansai and Seoul–Incheon, but global upgrade certificates don't work (yet) on Korean. I suppose you could do Detroit-Seoul-Guam, but not all Korean airfares earn 100% MQMs with Delta. A fun routing could be somewhere-Honolulu-Osaka and then Osaka-Guam on Korean, but that would be expensive.

One of the fun loopholes about flying home from Guam and Saipan was that you could route home through Honolulu via Tokyo-Narita often for less money than direct from Narita. Honolulu is a fun stopover if you have the time.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
No. You may be thinking of China Airlines, which serves Guam from Taipei&#8 211;Taoyuan.

Korean Air serves Guam from Osaka&#8 211;Kansai and Seoul&#8 211;Incheon, but global upgrade certificates don't work (yet) on Korean. I suppose you could do Detroit-Seoul-Guam, but not all Korean airfares earn 100% MQMs with Delta. A fun routing could be somewhere-Honolulu-Osaka and then Osaka-Guam on Korean, but that would be expensive.

One of the fun loopholes about flying home from Guam and Saipan was that you could route home through Honolulu via Tokyo-Narita often for less money than direct from Narita. Honolulu is a fun stopover if you have the time.
No, because in your post #8 above, you stated that China Airlines connections were possible. I was wondering whether connections through mainland China would be possible using one or both of DL's alliance partners based there.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
R.I.P. Tokyo-Narita. In the last four years, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Taipei, Osaka, New York-J.F.K., and now Guam have been eliminated. Wow.
Don't forget MSP (it was replaced by HND but still)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.