Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL ends GUM Jan 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
I think the only event that would preserve a sizable DL presence in Japan is the increase of HND slots. It's not likely they will ever get enough slots to replicate what they have even at this very moment, but if DL can secure just three more daytime slots - for SEA, DTW and ATL or JFK, then HND will become a LHR-style point-to-point destination while ICN and PVG take care of the rest. If overnight slots become available, maybe DL pushes for a HND-HNL service too.

But yeah, as a resident of Japan it's just sad to see how rapidly DL is pulling out. Long term, it may even be a mistake. Every major route DL has pulled out of without a major LCC presence (BKK, LAX, JFK) has been picked up by either JL or NH. NH is starting a 3rd daily TYO-LAX, JL increased capacity to JFK and NH increased NRT-BKK as well.
Let's not forget that Japan is not dead. It's the world's third-largest economy behind only the United States and China.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by rylan
I remember when there was a widebody on NRT-GUM rotation, and it was full.
As recently as 2015 it was a 747 for at least one of the daily Guam flights. There were also, I believe, additional (albeit seasonal) flights on Delta between Guam and other Japanese airports.

I've to Guam three times since April, all on Delta. The flights aren't empty. They're full.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Except I challenge Delta to prove the loads were light.
DL doesn't have to prove anything. If they don't wish to fly the route, then they don't fly the route.
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AARP, DL Skymiles, Marriot Bonvoy, Moe's Rewards
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
It certainly is speculation when the last paragraph states: Meanwhile, Delta Air Lines continues to operate a single daily flight between Tokyo and Japan.
Further speculation, I wonder if the recent actions of North Korea have anything to do with this decision. If so, they'd certainly not publicize it. Going to back to the previous comments, you would think with the military DL could sustain at least some frequency even if not daily anymore

Originally Posted by jinabe
DL would not admit it, but this is yet another downsizing of DL NRT operation. Oh yeah, they also closed one of the two DL Sky Lounges at NRT in May. Sad.
I am very much the nostalgic sometimes, so I hate to see the NRT hub downsized and eventually likely eliminated.
Times change and DL has to prioritize the bottom line over nostalgia
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Probably already mentioned here or in another thread, but it looks like NRT-PVG is also getting axed. 07/20/18
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by WWads
Probably already mentioned here or in another thread, but it looks like NRT-PVG is also getting axed. 07/20/18
It's being replaced by ATL-PVG.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Most of this thread ignores the JV with KE. This means that there is effective revenue-sharing and zero reason to serve a dwindling market.

Anybody who thinks that DL ought to serve a route now because NW did in the past, ought to call NW customer service. The phone just rings and rings and rings.

Indeed DL has a loyal base in GUM, but it only has a population of approx. 160,000. That is the size of a small-to-midsize market with no cachement area around. The route needs Japanese tourism to survive and that is dying off.
Originally Posted by WWads
I don't get why this is such a big deal. NRT is done. KE serves GUM, so DL will naturally route US-GUM pax via ICN. This was pretty much expected IMO.

I think it would be worth doing some marketing in Guam on DL's part. Emphasize that KE will allow pax to connect to DL's network.
You're right, but DL has yet to add any JV flights for customers flying to or from GUM. For example, if you try to book GUM-DTW on 15 January, based on your response above a customer should be able to fly GUM-ICN on KE and ICN-DTW on DL, but DL does not offer that as an option. You would think that DL would at least get the JV flights up and running before deciding to yank the plug on this one - too bad for the loyal DL GUM customers
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:17 pm

DL would not admit it, but this is yet another downsizing of DL NRT operation. Oh yeah, they also closed one of the two DL Sky Lounges at NRT in May. Sad.
DL will definitely admit it. Loudly! DL threatned to dramatically scale back Japan operations if they weren't give a bunch of HND slots. They weren't given a bunch of HND slots, so they are scaling back Japan operations. Exactly like they said they would do.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre
DL will definitely admit it. Loudly! DL threatned to dramatically scale back Japan operations if they weren't give a bunch of HND slots. They weren't given a bunch of HND slots, so they are scaling back Japan operations. Exactly like they said they would do.
PVG and ICN are the gateways of the future.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by trust77
You're right, but DL has yet to add any JV flights for customers flying to or from GUM. For example, if you try to book GUM-DTW on 15 January, based on your response above a customer should be able to fly GUM-ICN on KE and ICN-DTW on DL, but DL does not offer that as an option. You would think that DL would at least get the JV flights up and running before deciding to yank the plug on this one - too bad for the loyal DL GUM customers
This just seems so weird. It wasn't even Delta's intent to announce it. It only became public after locals couldn't book flights in late january and early February.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:06 pm

This just seems so weird. It wasn't even Delta's intent to announce it. It only became public after locals couldn't book flights in late january and early February.
DL very rarely announces route cancellations. It's usually the media/bloggers that "announce" it
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Cancelling a route and completely quitting a market are two separate things.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Widgets
PVG and ICN are the gateways of the future.
Until a North Korean dirty bomb goes off in Seoul or the regime opens for with its field artillery and pummels the city.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:10 pm

Cancelling a route and completely quitting a market are two separate things.
For markets that have just one route, they are exactly the same thing.

Anyways: DL rarely announces when they quit a market
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Bingo! This is definitely part of/a result of the NRT downsizing by DL.

I also think that with DL loosing the GSA city pair for GUM the other year that they saw a significant drop in business. Plus they are limited in what aircraft they can fly to GUM whereas UA has the 777 and can drive the price down.

DL does have a loyal following on GUM but DL isn't in the business of competing for business these days.

Originally Posted by fsuj25
Further speculation, I wonder if the recent actions of North Korea have anything to do with this decision. If so, they'd certainly not publicize it. Going to back to the previous comments, you would think with the military DL could sustain at least some frequency even if not daily anymore
This has been a popular commentary with a number of things happening on GUM. This decision is in NO WAY related to the NK situation. This has gotten mixed up with other news that HK Express won't start-up it's NGO-GUM flights because of the tensions which is a BS excuse. Something else going on with HK Express.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.