Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL ends GUM Jan 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Not necessarily -- and certainly not for customers, at least until Delta allows global upgrade certificate redemption on Korean Air, to say nothing of awarding full MQMs and redeemable miles.

Does Delta give up their right to fly these routes once they stop doing so? What if the economics change or future management decides to re-invest with intra-Asia flights?
I'm not sure of the terms of DL's NRT arrangement. It inherited the traffic rights from NW, which was granted the right along with UA to operate from TYO in the aftermath of WW2.

Not sure if there's a provision that requires them to "use it or lose it." I doubt it IMO.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
I am indeed bummed out as this is the only route I fly on DL. I hope SPN-NRT is not next.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by rylan
Other interesting thing is that carriers often keep routes that may be unprofitable, or minimally profitable in order to keep feeder traffic for other routes/hubs.
Dropping one route can have much wider impacts.
There were five passengers in business-class from NRT-DTW on Tuesday that originated in Guam. I'm guessing several more in economy-class. From January, they'll be on United through Honolulu.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Michael El
I am indeed bummed out as this is the only route I fly on DL. I hope SPN-NRT is not next.
I plan on doing NRT-SPN and then the puddle-jumper to GUM.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:58 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
I plan on doing NRT-SPN and then the puddle-jumper to GUM.
You may or may not be aware that the NRT-SPN-NRT flight is a daytime out-and-back affair ... the USA arrivals get into NRT after NRT-SPN has left already, on the northbound leg its the same problem... all USA departures have left except for NRT-HNL. I have a colleague who just returned from SPN and had to overnight at NRT both directions. Not ideal
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
You may or may not be aware that the NRT-SPN-NRT flight is a daytime out-and-back affair ... the USA arrivals get into NRT after NRT-SPN has left already, on the northbound leg its the same problem... all USA departures have left except for NRT-HNL. I have a colleague who just returned from SPN and had to overnight at NRT both directions. Not ideal
That's not ideal, but I can route home out of NRT through HNL, which I've done twice from Guam before, for less money in paid business-class than direct from NRT. A free stopover/layover in Hawaii is always nice.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
There were five passengers in business-class from NRT-DTW on Tuesday that originated in Guam. I'm guessing several more in economy-class. From January, they'll be on United through Honolulu.
Well with the small A350 D1 cabin I guess they figure they don't need those pax to fill it.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:01 am
Suspended

Hmm ... One word: Subsidies.

The governor said he's convening a meeting of relevant agencies to come up with ways to deal with a decline in airline seats, including the Guam Economic Development Authority, the Guam Visitors Bureau, and the A.B. Won Pat International Airport Authority.

"We’ve got to actively find ways to replace those lost seats, whether it’s an existing airline, such as United or Japan Airlines, or looking for other opportunities, another option from other airlines," he said.

Calvo said Guam can also go back to Delta and ask whether it can reverse course.

"The Japan market has been our mainstay for decades and we cannot just allow and see this, a loss of nearly 200,000 seats, so we are going to make a big push on it. We'll get together an economic development team to see what we can do to get those seats back," he said.
http://www.guampdn.com/story/news/20...ost/684114001/
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:23 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
I sure hope this changed. I am planning a trip to TKK for diving in 2019 and would like to go on DL to get as close as possible as we have no status on UA
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:29 pm
Suspended

From the Pacific Daily News:
Delta Air Lines discontinues Guam service after more than 30 years

Delta Air Lines discontinues Guam service after more than 30 years

Kevin Tano, Pacific Daily News

Delta Air Lines on Monday officially ended its flight operations on Guam, according to Rolenda Faasuamalie, airport marketing administrator.

The airline last September announced it would stop operating routes between Japan and Guam, with the last flight Jan. 8, because of a decline in the Japan tourism market.

The airline's departure from the Guam market is expected to result in a 35 percent reduction in airline seat capacity between Narita and Guam, but the Guam Visitors Bureau said Japan Airlines plans to operate a second daily flight to Guam from Narita, beginning March 25.

Although it stopped operating on Guam, Delta continues to operate flights between Japan and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands and Japan and the Republic of Palau.

Daisy Sablan, Delta's station manager for Guam, said she would like to thank the people of Guam on behalf of the airline, which provided 36 years of service to the island. The airline first started operating on Guam in the early 1980s as Northwest Orient Airlines, then Northwest Airlines, before Northwest merged with Delta in 2008, changing its name.

Guam for most of 2017 experienced a significant drop in tourism arrivals from Japan, which had been the island's top tourism market for decades. In November 2017 alone, the most recent month for which data was provided, Japan arrivals declined 26 percent, compared to November 2016. That means 15,572 fewer Japanese tourists came to Guam last November.

From January through November 2017, Japan arrivals declined by 15.9 percent, compared to the same period in 2016, according to arrival reports from the Guam Visitors Bureau.

Despite the decline in the Japan market, Guam's total visitor arrivals from January to November of 2017 were slightly higher than the same period in 2016 because of a sharp increase in tourist arrivals from Korea.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
I just did MSP-DTW-ICN-GUM and it wasn't all that bad. The connection to KE 111 isn't that bad (albeit a bit long). For the return I purchased a one-off ticket on the 7am UA departure to NRT and then took DL from three. Interestingly the UA flight (which as always been full to the brim with tourists) had no more than 100 people (its a 777) on it and most appeared to be headed to the mainland. It does seem that the tourist trend has been tilting to Korea over the last year.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:42 am

I was in the U.S. Air Force and stationed in Japan in the early 1990s and spent a fair amount of time in Guam. It was a big Japanese tourist destination. I wonder what happened. Did the Japanese tourists go to a different market? Did Japanese airlines increase frequency to Guam, and the Japanese traffic shift?

I flew to Palau on DL in 2012. It was dominated by Japanese tourists as well.

The old NW NRT hub really was focused first on the Japanese market, second on the larger Asian market, and not as much not the connecting U.S. market. It reminded me of the PanAm operation in Germany. Perhaps it is long past time for U.S. airline intra-Asian operations to fade.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:00 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by meh130
I was in the U.S. Air Force and stationed in Japan in the early 1990s and spent a fair amount of time in Guam. It was a big Japanese tourist destination. I wonder what happened.
I went to Guam many, MANY years ago, on CO. I seem to remember it being HNL/GUM, and eventually, NRT, I think, a few days later . . . ending up in BKK, somehow.

Anyway . . . during my 3 days in Guam, I noticed a lot of shooting ranges, and I was told that Japanese visitors flock to Guam, as it's a huge novelty for them to operate firearms. Could something have changed in that regard?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by meh130
I was in the U.S. Air Force and stationed in Japan in the early 1990s and spent a fair amount of time in Guam. It was a big Japanese tourist destination. I wonder what happened. Did the Japanese tourists go to a different market? Did Japanese airlines increase frequency to Guam, and the Japanese traffic shift?
Several factors, not least Japan's populating is aging. The Japanese are also very risk-averse so the North Korea nuclear threats didn't help. Also, Guam was also priced more affordably than Hawaii -- Guam was more popular with Japanese families whereas Hawaii was more couples and honeymoons -- but its product didn't keep up. Many of the hotels are very tied. What's interesting is that basically 90% of the hotels are owned by Japanese business interests.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by davetravels
Anyway . . . during my 3 days in Guam, I noticed a lot of shooting ranges, and I was told that Japanese visitors flock to Guam, as it's a huge novelty for them to operate firearms. Could something have changed in that regard?
No. They're still there. Often next to strip clubs.
davetravels likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.