Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MSP and LAS 4 Miles Closer?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
MSP and LAS 4 Miles Closer?

I have been flying to LAS a lot the past couple of years. In fact, Monday I'll be flying back again for the 3rd straight week. Whenever I've looked at bookings, each leg has been 1300 miles. Looking at my recent flights, I was credited 1300 miles (or 1950 when booking F) including Monday's flight. Anyhoo, I was just looking at the redeye I SDC to tonight, it's showing 1296 miles. Looking at the legs for next week, they both say 1296. Is this a recent change?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Miles are awarded based on cost of fare, not distance.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Miles are awarded based on cost of fare, not distance.
Ok, fine. MQMs. Sheesh.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
A few years ago something like this happened with ATL-PHL, which went from 666 miles to 665, but I always assumed that had to do with numerology.

Last edited by CJKatl; Sep 14, 2017 at 5:52 pm Reason: Had wrong airport...
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by yohanson
Ok, fine. MQMs. Sheesh.
Sheesh, you worded as awarded miles. Base members earn 5x$. Thus a difference of four could reflect a change in fare cost. 1300/5 is $260, which is perfectly normal fare for LAS.

DL may have updated thier tables. I say this becuase I noticed it on another route. Just depending on what part of the airport the measurement is done at can cause a change.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Sheesh, you worded as awarded miles. Base members earn 5x$. Thus a difference of four could reflect a change in fare cost. 1300/5 is $260, which is perfectly normal fare for LAS.

DL may have updated thier tables. I say this becuase I noticed it on another route. Just depending on what part of the airport the measurement is done at can cause a change.
You made a lot of assumptions in that post. I said miles. Miles could be RDMs or MQMs. You chose the former. Also, I've been DM forever so I get 11X. And, FYI, I read the below, checked past flights, and posted here.

Aircraft: Airbus A320
Flight Time: 3HR 1M
On Time % : 97
Miles Flown: 1,296

Most of my flights to LAS generate somewhere between 5500 and 8500 RDMs plus the obligatory 2500 RDMs for Bags on Time. But, they always generate 2600 or 3900 MQMs RT depending on class flown.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
It has been noted for many years that Delta apparently has two different sets of data that are used to calculate distances between cities. One is used in the schedule/flight info system, and a different one is used for mileage credit. This has resulted in single digit differences, but you should expect the flight to post 1,300/1,950 MQMs as it always has.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

You made a lot of assumptions in that post. I said miles. Miles could be RDMs or MQMs. You chose the former. Also, I've been DM forever so I get 11X. And, FYI, I read the below, checked past flights, and posted here.

Aircraft: Airbus A320
Flight Time: 3HR 1M
On Time % : 97
Miles Flown: 1,296

Most of my flights to LAS generate somewhere between 5500 and 8500 RDMs plus the obligatory 2500 RDMs for Bags on Time. But, they always generate 2600 or 3900 MQMs RT depending on class flown.
I had no way of knowing what status you have. Also when people say awarded miles they generally mean RDM as they're award miles. Also it's a common question as to why DL has awarded different miles for the same flight. Maybe be a bit clearer next time you post? AFAIK, no one here is a mind reader. Based on what you posted the reply was perfectly correct.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
It seems that some distances have been updated. DTW-LGA always showed up as 500 miles, but is now 501.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

I have been flying to LAS a lot the past couple of years. In fact, Monday I'll be flying back again for the 3rd straight week. Whenever I've looked at bookings, each leg has been 1300 miles. Looking at my recent flights, I was credited 1300 miles (or 1950 when booking F) including Monday's flight. Anyhoo, I was just looking at the redeye I SDC to tonight, it's showing 1296 miles. Looking at the legs for next week, they both say 1296. Is this a recent change?
I had no way of knowing what status you have. Also when people say awarded miles they generally mean RDM as they're award miles. Also it's a common question as to why DL has awarded different miles for the same flight. Maybe be a bit clearer next time you post? AFAIK, no one here is a mind reader. Based on what you posted the reply was perfectly correct.
Credited does not equal awarded. My DM status is right under my handle so you did have a way of knowing my status. Also, the title of the thread was clearly about distance. You're drawing at straws and making yourself look foolish. Do yourself a favor and move along.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Pretty obvious what the OP was talking about. You made a mess of this thread to prove some point.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
My DM status is right under my handle so you did have a way of knowing my status.
When viewing FT via any mobile device, it is not possible to see the same clues about any OP as it is via a web browser on a PC or Mac.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:16 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
OP said they've been flying the route a lot, and recently for the 3rd straight week, and always got 1300 miles. Unless you think they bought the exact same base fare every time, Occam's razor suggests we're talking about MQMs.

There's also no RDM multiplier that explains a 4-mile difference.

IMO it's perfectly ok to just say "Oops, my bad, I took the wrong interpretation" -- no one will think less of you, as compared to digging in and trying to backfit contorted justifications.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by javabytes
It has been noted for many years that Delta apparently has two different sets of data that are used to calculate distances between cities. One is used in the schedule/flight info system, and a different one is used for mileage credit. This has resulted in single digit differences, but you should expect the flight to post 1,300/1,950 MQMs as it always has.
I've noticed this. On ATL-SEA, the flight info will show 2,176 miles when booking. It will credit as 2,181 MQMs when it posts to my account.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Zorak
OP said they've been flying the route a lot, and recently for the 3rd straight week, and always got 1300 miles. Unless you think they bought the exact same base fare every time, Occam's razor suggests we're talking about MQMs.

There's also no RDM multiplier that explains a 4-mile difference.

IMO it's perfectly ok to just say "Oops, my bad, I took the wrong interpretation" -- no one will think less of you, as compared to digging in and trying to backfit contorted justifications.
Have no issue saying I interpreted it wrong. However to suggest that the only way it could be read was as in regards to MQM is ridiculous. Also it's very possible to get same fare when flying one route frequently. It's not like the fare base price changes frequently.

AFA the RDM multiplier, a general member RDM is x5. Based on fare rounding 4 miles is a perfectly explained difference, as I explained above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.