Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Cancelled my flight to YYC, tickets still on my account

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelled my flight to YYC, tickets still on my account

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Question Cancelled my flight to YYC, tickets still on my account

Hi everyone, I'm new here, but have been a Delta flyer for quite some years. I don't travel too often; but when I do, it's always Delta.

I requested a cancellation for a pair of nonrefundable tickets. I don’t even have Gold status yet; so they had absolutely no obligation to honor my request. Delta rep called me and said they would be happy to approve the cancellation. Money was deposited back into my account a day later.

(This was A WEEK ago)

Today....Looking at my upcoming trips, YYC still shows up. There's a confirmation #, eTicket # AND if I look at the same flights, our seats are still showing NOT available. This has me really thinking....could we still fly? Everything lines up.

Thoughts???
Old Sep 11, 2017, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you've already taken the refund, wouldn't it be fraud to attempt to fly on the same ticket? IANAL, but it's certainly unethical especially after DL was kind enough to approve your refund as a special exception.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you've already taken the refund, wouldn't it be fraud to attempt to fly on the same ticket? IANAL, but it's certainly unethical especially after DL was kind enough to approve your refund as a special exception.
I certainly understand your point. I suppose I was thinking more "bank error in your favor" but you are completely correct.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

I'm curious if anyone else has anything to add. I actually found some old threads about this happening to others.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by bgusto
I'm curious if anyone else has anything to add. I actually found some old threads about this happening to others.
Try one more thing. On the DL.com web site, try to "view receipt" for your ticket. See if the ticket coupons are in "Open" status - if the coupons are in "Open" status, something went wrong with the processing of the refund. If the coupons have a different status, like "Exch" for example, the ticket is no longer valid for travel.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
what i wanna know is what kind of sob story you told them to get them to cancel for you.

im really surprised they refunded the tickets
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnbp
Try one more thing. On the DL.com web site, try to "view receipt" for your ticket. See if the ticket coupons are in "Open" status - if the coupons are in "Open" status, something went wrong with the processing of the refund. If the coupons have a different status, like "Exch" for example, the ticket is no longer valid for travel.
Thanks! I checked and the receipt says EREF. Sounds like electronic refund?

Originally Posted by cboy
what i wanna know is what kind of sob story you told them to get them to cancel for you.

im really surprised they refunded the tickets
Actually, it was quite the opposite. I clearly stated the facts, that we decided to change our plans. No beating around the bush. I was very surprised, too.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Yes, sounds like a coupon status indicating a refunded ticket. While you apparently still have a reservation, without a valid ticket it would not be possible to check in for the flight. Eventually the reservation will disappear.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is a difference between a ticket and a reservation. While the reservation should generally be cancelled along with the ticket, in this case it was not.

Should the reservation not be cancelled and should OP attempt to fly, at the airport he will find an add/collect due because there is no longer a ticket supporting the reservation.

No fraud, just no boarding.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond

Actually, it was quite the opposite. I clearly stated the facts, that we decided to change our plans. No beating around the bush. I was very surprised, too.

lucky!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.