Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How to determine how many Elite members are booked on current segment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Trying to get flights that will maximize my chance of upgrades.

Normally, I look at how many empty seats in FC there are, but this is really a hand-waving method, as there could be a ton of elites in C+.

Is there anyway to figure out how many Elites and what type have been booked on a specific segment?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some folks swear that looking at the number of occupied seats in C+ is a good predictor. Beyond that look at occupied exit row and aisle/window premium seats.

More generally, a lot depends on the route and timing (day of week and time of day). Consultants tend to be high tier elites and they migrate on Monday mornings and Thursday evenings on business routes.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:19 pm

The only real way to do it seems to be count the number of elites (or likely elites) seated in Preferred Seats and C+ prior to check-in/upgrade windows.

Rules of thumb: 2 seats are always blocked off in both C+ and main cabin for gate assignment, those in the main cabin being preferred seats, so don't count them towards the number of medallions on board. You also generally have to decide who is seated together in a party larger than 2 and take that into the equation knowing they likely won't be upgrade eligible. Also note that some people do pay for C+, and DM/PM are more likely to be seated by themselves or with a companion in each row, so when you see 3 across or whatever I generally don't count them. Heck two to three times the entire C+ cabin was booked and I still got upgraded.

Anyways, it isn't an exact science, and yes, I'm guilty of doing this quite frequently and obsessively as an FO in efforts to maximize upgrade chances (and to a minor degree, it works)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.