Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Crew on Spirit flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by vincentharris
some record company passing on George, Paul, John, and Ringo because "guitar groups were on their way out"
Drum roll please.....Vincent for the win !!
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Crews deadhead, standby, or jump seat on other airlines to get to or from work all the time. It is the individual employee's responsibility to get from home to their base in time for the start of a trip. It does not matter to any party how they get there. If your own airline is showing full loads, you try another. End of story.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Sadly that wouldn't surprise me. Delta goes for cheap now. If Pepsi gave them a contract one cent less than Coca Cola they would jump on it in a heartbeat. I'm surprised they haven't called up Shasta.
I'm pretty sure Kathy Waller would have a big problem with that!
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
It would be very unusual for a large airline like AAL, DAL, UAL, etc. to deadhead crews on another airline. Charter airlines, freight airlines, and corporate pilots often 'commercial' on passenger airlines, including in uniform.

What the OP describes is almost certainly commuting. The commuters on a route like DFW-ATL will take whatever is available and most convenient whether its online or offline. Having the option of multiple airlines just makes the commute easier.

My last commute was on DAL (Connection) because my trip was out of LGA instead of EWR and DAL has BNA-LGA non-stops while we don't. Much easier than commuting online to EWR and using surface transportation across town.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
I knew someone that was a million miler on Delta. He will fly Delta when the company pays but he mostly uses Allegiant out of SFB when he is paying.
Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
I've jumpseated on Spirit twice. Both times, I was given an exit row middle seat. And both times, in the exit aisle seat next to me, was a guy with a Diamond Medallion tag on his carry-on bag. I am NOT making this up.
I am both a DM and 1MM, and Spirit is my 2nd choice for domestic air travel, in a couple reasons/scenarios:
1. If Delta doesn't fly non-stop, I find it better to take a Spirit non-stop for leisure non-time-critical weekend travel, and select the big front seat (equivalent to a Delta domestic FC seat). Even after having to pay for this seat, and potentially on-board refreshments, I still come out way ahead compared with Delta $$-wise (and having to connect, while also potentially not getting upgraded). For me, the seat is the most important part of air travel. And on these weekend trips, I can stuff my stuff into a personal item, and not pay for a carry on (which by the way, never had a problem storing my bag in the overhead bin because of the disincentive to carry-on a bag!).

2. I also prefer night flights, and Spirit in general seems to have more off-normal-hour flights due to the fact they're running their birds around the clock. That usually ends up better for my schedule, and not wasting the interior part of the day traveling. I also sleep well on planes.

Since Spirit seems to have a sale of some sort every couple of days, it's relatively easy to snag a one-way ticket booked in advance for $26-65.

Of course, if Spirit doesn't fly non-stop on my selected route, the big front seat is not available, and/or the ticket isn't cheap enough, I will fly Delta.
(I'd rather fly on Spirit in the big front seat, than another airline where I don't have status in coach)

Knock on wood, but I haven't had any flight delay in the last 15 or so Spirit flights in the last year. I had absolutely nothing to complain about, if you understand what you're getting yourself into with a la carte pricing ahead of time. The two things I would like to see from Spirit are: 1) Smartphone app for check-in and boarding pass retrieval, and 2) on-board Wi-Fi (seems unlikely).

They already have recently added TSA Pre-check and Clear support.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
A Spirit flight attendant was flying on my DL flight a few days ago. Not unusual at all.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Probably because they wanted to get somewhere for cheap without expecting your bag to fly for free?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sadly that wouldn't surprise me. Delta goes for cheap now. If Pepsi gave them a contract one cent less than Coca Cola they would jump on it in a heartbeat. I'm surprised they haven't called up Shasta.
I'm just glad that DL hasn't focused on their southern roots and decided to offer only Dr Pepper.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm just glad that DL hasn't focused on their southern roots and decided to offer only Dr Pepper.
I would love having Dr Pepper as an option. Iced tea would be nice as well.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Being based in Atlanta, Coca-cola products are the obvious choice.

The World of Coca-Cola, in downtown Atlanta, is a fun.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:52 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Iced tea would be nice as well.
Instructions for iced tea on the plane:

1. Say to the flight attendant: "I would like some iced tea."

2. If the FA is old school, legacy Delta, she/he says, "Sure."

3. If the FA is new hire, former Pan Am, former Western Airlines, former NWA, etc., you get the disdainful puzzled look followed by, "We don't have iced tea."

4. You then say: "Take some hot water, put a tea bag in it (i.e., make some hot tea). Once you have hot tea, pour it in a glass filled with ice. Bring me some Sweet N Low and lemon with it."

5. You then have iced tea. And you have taught a lesson.

It will be much better than bottled or canned ice tea would ever be.
steve64 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Excuse me they need to go with RC Cola....
I'd only go for that if the put Moon Pies in the snack basket.

A South Carolina breakfast... an "R-o-C Cola and a Moon Pie."
Old Aug 13, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I'd only go for that if the put Moon Pies in the snack basket.

A South Carolina breakfast... an "R-o-C Cola and a Moon Pie."
^ . . . and for protein, add a Slim Jim. For a lighter drink, try an Upper 10, or either a Sebmup.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: DL-G, UA,Hilton,Hertz
In GRR there is a Southwest Pilot that fly's on Delta to LGA all the time.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by kettle1
You are kidding. DL bailed on MCO after making it a hub and DL became the "Official" Airline for Disney. That lasted several years (after Eastern Airlines), until one day I was on a flt from LAX to MCO in FC. This Disney "big wigg boss" seated next to me picked up a DL Sky Magazine and saw an eight page spread, full color ad spread for Universal Studios Orlando in a Sky Magazine. He flipped out and threw the magazine on the ground. He said what the "what". The agreement between DL and Disney ended about 2 months later. I will never forget that flt. True story. DL and Disney ended that partnership. Quick.

I would love to see the same thing if DL started pouring Pepsi soda.
Eisner?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.