Wiki Posts
Search

747... upgrade worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So if using 60,000 miles for this upgrade will prevent the OP from taking a honeymoon or attending the funeral of a close relative, perhaps the decision should be reconsidered.
Lets agree to disagree - for me (unlikely to be honeymoon) but a 40th wedding anniversary - or a funeral of a close relative, I am paying - not using miles -but hey - I am privileged - each to their own.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
Do it. I much prefer UD- the 1-1 seating, two lavs for 14 people, very personal service, and practically first off the plane. Plus going "upstairs" on a plane is still cool.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
100% Worth it

Upper Deck on DL-747 is a one of a kind business class experience, that we may never see available again.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Lets agree to disagree - for me (unlikely to be honeymoon) but a 40th wedding anniversary - or a funeral of a close relative, I am paying - not using miles -but hey - I am privileged - each to their own.
I agree, but we shouldn't assume.

BTW, MikeMpls always considered his miles to be funeral travel funds. His reasoning was that last minute tickets are expensive but can be available as award tickets for reasonable numbers of miles, depending on the route of course.

Congrats on 40 years.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
BA, Lufthansa, and Korean will have 747s for years to come, particular the latter two, among the few airlines to have new 747-800s. So if you have miles with them, or hotel/credit card miles that can be converted into them, that is your easiest plan B, but may as well do it now.

FYI, I have done it maybe 12-15 times, and I am still trying to squeeze in a couple more times (still haven't done BA or LH).
I wouldn't discourage you from doing it because it's still a cool experience, but the LH 748 doesn't have the same private feel as the 14-person DL cabin. This is partly due to the 2-2 seating vs 1-1 on Delta but also largely due to the longer cabin. They also don't have direct aisle access from every seat, so you have someone climbing over you or who you have to climb over. I chose a window and just dealt with having to climb over my seatmate once during the night. I think KE prevented this on their 748s despite being 2-2 seating as well, but I haven't flown them.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Wow... really great response for my first FlyerTalk post!

Thanks for all of the opinions... used my RUC on the JFK-SEA and 60K on the NRT-DTW. Crossing my fingers!

Honeymoon is paid for 10 years ago and no funerals in sight

Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by andywxman
Wow... really great response for my first FlyerTalk post!

Thanks for all of the opinions... used my RUC on the JFK-SEA and 60K on the NRT-DTW. Crossing my fingers!

Honeymoon is paid for 10 years ago and no funerals in sight

Thanks!
LOL, I wish I could predict that.^
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you're paying miles to upgrade a TATL or TPAC flight, normally upgrades (if available) are included for the same price in miles, assuming the same fare component (no multi city booking with a stopover (over 24 hours), no broken fare, etc.).
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan basic
I flew 1K last year and then 74A on UD and hands down prefer the upper deck. It is way more private and just felt cooler. Also the chances of being let into the flight deck and to chat with the crew is way higher on UD if you fancy that sort of thing (i got to go into the cockpit and have my pics taken in the captains chair ).

I'm not aware of any other airlines that still run 747 with a premium cabin in UD that is 1-1 which add's to the uniqueness of the Delta experience. FA ratio to Pax ratio to washroom ratio is also great.

Will you be able to fly a 747 again in the future? Yes. Will you get a 1-1 config with a max of 14 pax up there on another airline? Doesn't look like it.

There is a definite hype to the UD 747 but only you can decide if it's over hyped or if it is worth the hype. It was worth it for me to do paid J to get up there. Nose cone is still a great experience although even if it wasn't in reality, it felt a little cramped because of that big closet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.