Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Bubble Boy (or Girl)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
The policy of upgrading a companion over the next medallion is asinine. The old way worked just fine. That companion did not earn that upgrade position. Two for the price of one is a bad policy when Delta is trying to squeeze out every dime in extra revenue. It's one of the reasons I just started outright buying F tickets. The only advantage I utilize out of being gold is the priority phone line and it can still take a while at times. I only fly international once in a blue moon so the skyteam benefits don't really matter much. I don't try for medallion status anymore, I still manage to earn it but it isn't a goal anymore.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
MCO-NYC isn't so short, especially if it's a dinner flight.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:33 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
MCO-NYC isn't so short, especially if it's a dinner flight.
Well, short in comparison with my usual DL routes, but true. I'll try to get either a dinner flight, thanks for the tip.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
The policy of upgrading a companion over the next medallion is asinine. The old way worked just fine. That companion did not earn that upgrade position. Two for the price of one is a bad policy when Delta is trying to squeeze out every dime in extra revenue. It's one of the reasons I just started outright buying F tickets. The only advantage I utilize out of being gold is the priority phone line and it can still take a while at times. I only fly international once in a blue moon so the skyteam benefits don't really matter much. I don't try for medallion status anymore, I still manage to earn it but it isn't a goal anymore.
This is exactly what DL wanted - outright buying F tickets. Not so asinine for rev management or shareholders as much as medallions might despise it...
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MEMLawGuy
MEM is a tougher upgrade (to ATL) than most people think. Routinely 30+ on the list even for off-time weekeday flights.
No idea how true this is, but I have a coworker based in TYS who mentioned she somehow learned that TYS was the 2nd largest population of DMs in the system. Not sure how that would be measured (surely it's as a proportion of pax volume or something), and she tends to sometimes exaggerate, but perhaps there's something in the water up in TN.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by SDQBound
I'm on the same boat. I have all my RUCs expiring this fall because I only had a chance to use two of them and the flight got cancelled and rebooked on an Intl' nonstop.

I have a few segments in the US later this year, although very short ones (ATL-MCO, MCO-NYC, NYC-BUF, NYC-BOS) so I might just try to burn the RUCs instead of relying on complimentary upgrades. For next year's choice, I will select something else, although it will be very hard to decide since I cannot get GE, can't think of anyone who will use the Silver Medallion benefit, and 20K miles won't even get me a greyhound ticket from New York to Philly.
It turns out my RUC expired on the 4th of this month. I hit PM a few months ago and my PM choice benefit still hasn't been used and neither has my second DM benefit from last year. I'm sitting on $846 in vouchers and last I looked I have 765,411 Skymiles so I don't need the miles or the vouchers.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gooselee
No idea how true this is, but I have a coworker based in TYS who mentioned she somehow learned that TYS was the 2nd largest population of DMs in the system. Not sure how that would be measured (surely it's as a proportion of pax volume or something), and she tends to sometimes exaggerate, but perhaps there's something in the water up in TN.
I've dropped to 5/33 for 3 available since OLCI. Fun times.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by MEMLawGuy
I've dropped to 5/33 for 3 available since OLCI. Fun times.
I live in MEM and fly every week, definitely some long upgrade lists and sometimes I don't make it.

I have silver on united through Marriott, and booked a ticket to ORD for Mon so I can go direct. This is the first time I've flown on United in a couple of years. I got upgraded at the 24 hour window as a silver flying on Monday morning spoke to hub.

That's weird to me given the DL upgrade situation out of MEM. United just must not have that many elites in MEM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.