Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emergency, lost passport. Stuck in seoul.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emergency, lost passport. Stuck in seoul.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In some countries where the USA doesn't have an embassy (such as North Korea), certain consular functions are often handled through the embassy of a neutral-type third country such as Sweden. I can't think of a place where a USA citizen would approach a British embassy for such matters.
Correct, there are only 3 countries with which the US does not maintain Diplomatic Relations-
-Iran- The Swiss handle limited US Citizen services, although everything is sent back to Bern and processed through the U.S. Embassy there.
-North Korea - The Swedish handle US Citizen Services
- Bhutan- US Citizens have to go to New Delhi.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by N104UA
Correct, there are only 3 countries with which the US does not maintain Diplomatic Relations-

- Bhutan- US Citizens have to go to New Delhi.
That's news to me. Not having an Embassy is not the same thing.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by erik123
That's news to me. Not having an Embassy is not the same thing.
AFAIK, Bhutan doesn't have formal diplomatic relations with any of the permanent members of the UN Security Council.

That said, the US and Bhutan have pretty good relations otherwise, but they're more informal.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
According to travel.state.gov, in addition to the three countries without formal diplomatic relationships, the US lacks embassies in the following:

Antigua and Barbuda; Dominica; Grenada; St. Kitts and Nevis; St. Lucia; and St. Vincent and the Grenadines:
While nonimmigrant visa applicants resident in these countries may apply in person at any U.S. Embassy or Consulate where they have an appointment, U.S. Embassy Bridgetown, Barbados, processes visa applications for residents of these countries.
Immigrant visa services from residents of these countries are also provided at U.S. Embassy Bridgetown, Barbados.

Guinea-Bissau:
While nonimmigrant visa applicants resident in Guinea-Bissau may apply in person at any U.S. Embassy or Consulate where they have an appointment, U.S. Embassy Dakar, Senegal, processes visa applications for residents of Guinea-Bissau.
Immigrant visa services for residents of Guinea-Bissau are also provided at U.S. Embassy Dakar, Senegal.
Not that I'll ever need this info, but I just had to know.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you sure it's OK to tape a tile to your passport? I would get a passport cover and tape the tile to that.

​​​​​​That's a much better idea. Appreciate the tip
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
AFAIK, Bhutan doesn't have formal diplomatic relations with any of the permanent members of the UN Security Council.

That said, the US and Bhutan have pretty good relations otherwise, but they're more informal.
Officially the US "maintains friendly relations though our Embassy in New Delhi" although we technically don't have relations it is more complex.

Bhutan historically has not had diplomatic relations and it was only in the last 10 years they started them with India.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage - PLT Pro, United Premier PLT, HHonors - Diamond, National - Ex. Elite
Lost passport, Seoul, etc.

Read this entire thread. Lots of good info. Some BS childish behavior but luckily the thread was not locked.

Really glad the OP made it home ok. But I must say, I truly do not understand making such a mileage run. All for it for folks who see the value........ but for me that is HOURS of your life you will never get back. No way. I'll spend those hours doing something fun with my family versus sitting on yet another plane. Just my 2 cents.

Must say, I cannot imagine putting my passport into my backpack, etc. And then putting that backpack into the overhead bin?! No way!!! When I travel internationally I am a freakazoid as to my passport paranoia. It stays in my pocket on me at all times. And I check that pocket constantly. On airlines I wear outdoor/hiking pants. Zippers and velcro on practically every pocket. And the passport is always secured. No seats can eat it, etc. Somebody bumps me in a crowd, I immediately check wallet and passport. Sadly you cannot help but assume the worst in crowds.

Again good info. in this thread. As always members here have a wealth of knowledge which they are quick to share. Much appreicated.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Sorry for not reading this entire thread, but have a copy of your Passport's picture page and carry it with you. This was recommended by me when working for US Embassies in West Africa. Though not official, it helps for ID in a lost passport situation. The Consulate/Embassy can use the info to support and expedite the replacement.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by SYRRDU
Sorry for not reading this entire thread, but have a copy of your Passport's picture page and carry it with you. This was recommended by me when working for US Embassies in West Africa. Though not official, it helps for ID in a lost passport situation. The Consulate/Embassy can use the info to support and expedite the replacement.
Agree. I use Evernote to store pictures of all my documents. Actually had to use it once in Texas at a Border Patrol Checkpoint. I wasn't going into Mexico so didn't have my Green Card with me but they stop all traffic regardless.

I showed the Evernote "photo" and the agent was cool with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.