Wiki Posts
Search

Chances for VDB?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM&MM, DL KMwannabe, HH, AA, TG,
Chances for VDB?

Partner and I are ticketed OnDL 840 LGA-PBI this Thursday . I'm platinum, he's gold. One PNR so we could upgrade with my status. We grabbed the seats in EC, since at the time of booking FC was wide open. Took A & B in last row of EC,even though our preferences are always aisle/aisle bulkhead. Now, looking at the seat chart, the plane is essentially sold out with one or two coach tickets still left.

This is one of those rare occasions where we don't actually have to arrive on any particular schedule where were headed. (Visiting my mom in South Florida). Anyone have any sense of the likelihood of our being asked to give up our seats for a flight the next day? Usually, we find ourselves in the situations when we absolutely have to arrive on time but in this case, leaving on Friday would be no big deal. In fact, The 10:29 AM flight on Friday looks wide-open and would actually be preferable for us. Better seats in EC and first class is wide open.

Any advice on how to maximize our chances to be bumped to that flight? Frankly, we would probably take it with no additional reimbursement but of course a few hundred bucks of deal CREDIT would never hurt :-)
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Steve007NY
Partner and I are ticketed OnDL 840 LGA-PBI this Thursday . I'm platinum, he's gold. One PNR so we could upgrade with my status. We grabbed the seats in EC, since at the time of booking FC was wide open. Took A & B in last row of EC,even though our preferences are always aisle/aisle bulkhead. Now, looking at the seat chart, the plane is essentially sold out with one or two coach tickets still left.

This is one of those rare occasions where we don't actually have to arrive on any particular schedule where were headed. (Visiting my mom in South Florida). Anyone have any sense of the likelihood of our being asked to give up our seats for a flight the next day? Usually, we find ourselves in the situations when we absolutely have to arrive on time but in this case, leaving on Friday would be no big deal. In fact, The 10:29 AM flight on Friday looks wide-open and would actually be preferable for us. Better seats in EC and first class is wide open.

Any advice on how to maximize our chances to be bumped to that flight? Frankly, we would probably take it with no additional reimbursement but of course a few hundred bucks of deal CREDIT would never hurt :-)
Your current flight is probably pretty close to being oversold if it isn't already as a dummy booking is only selling full Y fares. Usually when they need to VDB for the last flight of the day they will put you on the first flight in the AM which is at 8:10am out of LGA. If you do VDB, you could ask the agent if they could put you on the 10:30am flight but that's up to the GA or red coat. If you really want to increase your UG odds than ask if they can put you on DL 4059 JFK-PBI at 9:00am on a CR9. Pretty much the entire C+ cabin is empty and there are still 10 seats in F still.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
Frankly, we would probably take it with no additional reimbursement but of course a few hundred bucks of deal CREDIT would never hurt :-)
FWIW, last time I got VDB'd at LGA I received an Amex gift card instead of DL voucher. This was simply a choice to get the same amount in DL voucher, or gift cards, so I chose the gift cards. They came in the mail a few weeks after the flight.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:39 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Currently, it's:

DL 840 LGA 07/20/17 6:59 PM PBI 07/20/17 10:14 PM 319

F2 P1 A0 G0 W0 Y6 B0 M0 H0 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0

Check back on Thursday afternoon and someone can tell you if it's completely sold out, or not.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:42 pm

I have had two people claim they were called pre airport after volunteering during OLCI but I am of a belief that said folks were not really on delta though both claim it was delta so I think the only way to get selected is to go to the airport and let the ga know you are happy to volunteer. Then be listening for a request for volunteers sometimes they forget those that have asked early on. Not sure it is really worth the hassle of dealing with Lga and I think chances are slim if you don't go to the airport
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

This was a foolish ....ing for us to have made in the first place and involves being picked up at work by cab and then on to LaGuardia. It'll probably be $100 in Uber/taxi fares to and from LaGuardia if we did end up being bumped.

Has anyone ever had any luck calling the platinum line and seeing whether they might be able to (I assume tomorrow evening) save DELTA money and us trouble by moving us to a flight the next morning? Both of the two first flights out of LaGuardia on Friday are virtually empty in the front of the plane. Sure would be nice to work this out from home :-)
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:59 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
This was a foolish ....ing for us to have made in the first place and involves being picked up at work by cab and then on to LaGuardia. It'll probably be $100 in Uber/taxi fares to and from LaGuardia if we did end up being bumped. :-)
I was wondering how it could be worth it to you to go all the way to LGA, then back home, then back to LGA again the next day without getting some decent compensation. I guess you have something pretty important that you want to do!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Dave-
I have a solid day teaching tomorrow and would have to leave right from work (being picked up by my partner) for the last flight of the day. We booked it to maximize time spent with my 87-year-old mother in Florida. For sure, for her, that's "very important!"
That's why we probably should've taken the Friday morning flight to begin with :-)

Only 1.5 MM Here, which is why I didn't know about trying to call Delta tomorrow and see if they can just plain switch us to the Friday morning flight. Mom will just have to get over it
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:14 pm

This was a foolish ....ing for us to have made in the first place and involves being picked up at work by cab and then on to LaGuardia. It'll probably be $100 in Uber/taxi fares to and from LaGuardia if we did end up being bumped.

Has anyone ever had any luck calling the platinum line and seeing whether they might be able to (I assume tomorrow evening) save DELTA money and us trouble by moving us to a flight the next morning? Both of the two first flights out of LaGuardia on Friday are virtually empty in the front of the plane. Sure would be nice to work this out from home :-)
The front of the plane isn't virtually empty on Fri Morning LGA-PBI. Only 4 seats in F on the 8:10am flight and 3 seats in F on the 10:35. If you really want F for both you and your +1. If JFK isn't too inconvenient for you (it may be because it sounds like you are having issues getting just to LGA) there is 10 seats in F on the 9:00am flight on JFK-PBI.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Yikes-was looking at the wrong day. Serves me right for doing this instead of sleeping.
Actually, we're about equidistant from JFK and LaGuardia.
Do you think they would actually be willing to switch it to the JFK flight? (I've been reluctant to admit it, but part of the issue is that I promised my mother I would bring her 6 quarts of frozen matzoh ball soup and I'm worried that the round trip to the airport and waiting to hear about our status might move them close to defrosting (yes, I know, I can pack gel packs. What I won't do is try to do as carry on (did that once, and you could've done on Vaudeville routine of me and the TSA agent as I'm trying to point out that
1-they're not a liquid they're solid (frozen) 2-do you see that there are carrots, celery, noodles and chicken in there? Does that seriously look like a threatening object to you? (I'm a good cook so no cracks about how threatening They might be :-)
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:37 pm

Yikes-was looking at the wrong day. Serves me right for doing this instead of sleeping.
Actually, we're about equidistant from JFK and LaGuardia.
Do you think they would actually be willing to switch it to the JFK flight? (I've been reluctant to admit it, but part of the issue is that I promised my mother I would bring her 6 quarts of frozen matzoh ball soup and I'm worried that the round trip to the airport and waiting to hear about our status might move them close to defrosting (yes, I know, I can pack gel packs. What I won't do is try to do as carry on (did that once, and you could've done on Vaudeville routine of me and the TSA agent as I'm trying to point out that
1-they're not a liquid they're solid (frozen) 2-do you see that there are carrots, celery, noodles and chicken in there? Does that seriously look like a threatening object to you? (I'm a good cook so no cracks about how threatening They might be :-)
They should be able to switch you to the JFK flight no problem if it's still this wide open. If they need you to VDB and there is RU space avalible on the JFK flight you would clear immediately into F when they rebook. While the JFK flight is on a RJ, I would take F on a CR9 over Y on a mainline jet any day (I'm sure anyone would)
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.
agree about aircraft choices although I might prefer a bulkhead Aisle in EC on A 'real plane' over window in FC on CRJ (depends on whether it's a meal flight and how long).

New York to Florida is so brief I can tolerate almost anything, although I'm not sure about a middle seat like I'd be stuck with with our current ticket
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:57 am

Wait and see if they ask for volunteers when you check in. If they are asking for volunteers call and try to negotiate but if they aren't asking for volunteers they are not all that worried about being oversold. Also watch for weather waivers. All three airlines have been very proactive about issuing them this summer at the hint of storms. There was one issued for yesterday.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:55 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
It's F2, Y5 now and all previous flights have more seats than that so it's getting full, but not over yet. If something happens to one of those earlier flights, though, it will probably be OS
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
If you take a VDB and need to go home, ask for cab vouchers from DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.