Wiki Posts
Search

New KLM A La Carte Meal Service

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WWads
I only take KLM on daytime flights. Their pillows and bedding are terrible. This reinforces my choice.
Which is why KLM is working on upgrading meal service to new a ka carte. Those that want to eat can, those that don't can when they're ready. The lights are ossue on all airlines though. People expect to be able to eat meal in a lit cabin for sone reason. I feel lights off and use OH PSU light if needed.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Which is why KLM is working on upgrading meal service to new a ka carte. Those that want to eat can, those that don't can when they're ready. The lights are ossue on all airlines though. People expect to be able to eat meal in a lit cabin for sone reason. I feel lights off and use OH PSU light if needed.
It wouldn't be as bad if KLM had went with 1x2x1 in business-class.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
It wouldn't be as bad if KLM had went with 1x2x1 in business-class.
They gave on 787s. Flew one AMS-PVG. Nice and comfortable.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: Delta 1 Million Miler, Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I realize that this thread is about business class on KLM. But just as a data point, I find that, at least in Delta One, the overhead cabin lights are on for meal service to assist the FAs in serving, not so much for passenger benefit. I've always noticed that while lights are on in Delta One during the main meal after departure, they are off in the entire Main Cabin (I always assumed this to be due to the more intricate nature of the Delta One meals, courses, delivery, etc.). Once the service has concluded and the carts, service items, etc. are stowed, the FAs quickly turn off the lights. Some folks who eat more slowly than others or are doing the "Dine and Rest" option and are eating more on their own schedule are occasionally left finishing in the dark, and they do as you suggest - finish with the personal overhead light. As I always partake in the Delta One meal, the lights have never bothered me, but I could see how it might be irritating if one tried to sleep immediately (use the eyemask ). When I'm in economy, I'm always eating in the dark on night flights sans the personal overhead light.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:03 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Just arrived in AMS from JNB in J.

Although in the end i didn't even order any food, the food looked much higher quality than the previous J flights I've done with KLM, muuuuch higher'!

also, whilst serving PDB they handed out some snacks, smoked salmon with cucumber and a warm breaded cream cheese ball thing.

Overall, looks great!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by Xeno
In the middle of October, I will be doing KLM ORD-AMS-CPT so I hope this service is on that route by then.
It will not, unfortunately, but enjoy the flight anyway. CPT is so lovely!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
I only take KLM on daytime flights. Their pillows and bedding are terrible. This reinforces my choice.
Really? I don't agree. The pillows are nice and large (I do try to nab one from an empty seat though, as 2 are better than 1!) and the blanket is OK (could be better but not so bad that I would avoid a night flight). I agree that Delta has exceptionally good bedding, so if that's what you are used to then maybe the KLM offering is a disappointment. And in any case, if you are flying TATL or to S. Africa then a night flight in one direction is unavoidable.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sbams
Really? I don't agree. The pillows are nice and large (I do try to nab one from an empty seat though, as 2 are better than 1!) and the blanket is OK (could be better but not so bad that I would avoid a night flight). I agree that Delta has exceptionally good bedding, so if that's what you are used to then maybe the KLM offering is a disappointment. And in any case, if you are flying TATL or to S. Africa then a night flight in one direction is unavoidable.
DL for TATL redeye, KLM for TATL daytime. For SA, I'd probably take VS.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

DL for TATL redeye, KLM for TATL daytime. For SA, I'd probably take VS.
KL flight to JNB is a daytime flight. Takes off at 1030am and lands between 2130 and 2230 in evening. Only daytime flight to JNB. Rest are night.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Really great to hear such positive remarks on this. As a hyperregular KLM flier, I have yet to try this (not my routes, I am on the 6XX-North American flights solely).

Glad to hear KLM is working on their catering; it's easily their biggest flaw.
Agree so much, though I find AF also rather bad.

Cannot agree more with WWads, the amenity kit and bedding in KLM J also needs improvement.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by caliform
Cannot agree more with WWads, the amenity kit and bedding in KLM J also needs improvement.
The men's amenity kit is spectacularly bad; it's like they took over a factory devoted to making '90s CD wallets that was about to go out of business. The shape is basically useless, and the contents are very low quality. The women's case itself is slightly less horrendous, but still isn't a very practical design for reuse.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:56 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
You mean the new ones? I found the old 'etui' style ones OK, but the new ones are straight out of bizarro-land. The last one I got was also green and orange. This is supposed to be on brand how?

Meanwhile, the new AF ones are delightful and include such essentials as a shoehorn and decent lip balm.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by DLDiamond2013
As I always partake in the Delta One meal, the lights have never bothered me, but I could see how it might be irritating if one tried to sleep immediately (use the eyemask ).
I find the overhead lights irritating, even when I am eating. They are just too bright and take away from the feel and also it's not as nice for watching the screen, which I like to do while dining.

Perhaps as they continue to roll out more advanced LED lighting systems they will be able to offer a more gentle ambient lighting during meals that still allows FA's to see what they are doing but that helps the D1 cabin feel more like a high end restaurant at night, where one would certainly not expect bright florescent lighting.

I also really don't like when they leave the galley lights on super bright and don't close the curtains, especially when the rest of the cabin is dark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.