Wiki Posts
Search

Weather Waiver - NYC July 7

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Weather Waiver - NYC July 7

I just got a notification that a NYC weather waiver has been issued for Friday, July 7 (I have a flight into JFK from DCA that morning) and I am looking at the weather and it looks like most of the rain is happening the day before. It also doesn't look like anything out of the ordinary rain wise. Am I missing something?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
You're missing the union ground crews. Any hint of weather and they'll shut ground operations down. I ran into this situation on July 1 when my connecting flight out of JFK was cancelled and rescheduled for July 2 due to weather.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by KenTarmac
You're missing the union ground crews. Any hint of weather and they'll shut ground operations down. I ran into this situation on July 1 when my connecting flight out of JFK was cancelled and rescheduled for July 2 due to weather.
The only people at Delta that are unionized are the pilots and dispatchers.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:16 pm

I have a morning flight from JFK-PBI and got the same message. I will take my chances as I will wait out any delay in Sky Club.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Thanks, I guess I am confused then why its not a July 6 waiver since it looks like the rain starts the afternoon of the 6th and but is tapering off early morning of the 7th. My flight is 10 AM on Friday the 7th when it is supposed to be finished raining, although I realize my plane would have to come from somewhere. In my situation it makes no sense to leave early since that is when its really supposed to be raining so I will sit tight for now.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Delta has been quite proactive this summer about issuing weather waivers when it looks like there is going to be a weather/thunderstorm event in NYC.

The last couple of times it has happened, I had flights booked. The ATC/weather delays were horrendous pushing those afternoon departures 6+ hours late.

This makes it easy to give up and try again.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:34 pm

I got the same weather waiver alert

am flying to copenhagen the 7th to catch a cruise on the 9th so I cant change my flight ( and tmmrw is a no go due to work, etc) the weather forecast looks fairly benign, no wind ....I have no choice but to take my chances keeping fingers crossed
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
At this point, it actually looks like the cloud ceilings and visibility are going to be the lowest during the morning of the 7th.

Seeing as those usually end up causing a good portion of the delays at the NYC airports, it makes a bit of sense.

Just a(n educated) guess, as maybe DL sees some other threat.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
NYC Travel Waiver for this Friday?!

Why is there a Travel Waiver for NYC this Friday? The weather seems just fine...

What is going on, Delta?!
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
They are implementing a 17th award level and will likely crash the entire system.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Just look at the forecast! Severe T-Storms, wind,etc.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mersk862
How dare you let the facts get in the way of a good union bashing.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by Miesque
I just got a notification that a NYC weather waiver has been issued for Friday, July 7 (I have a flight into JFK from DCA that morning) and I am looking at the weather and it looks like most of the rain is happening the day before. It also doesn't look like anything out of the ordinary rain wise. Am I missing something?
I wouldn't bother with a JFK-DCA trip and just book the Acela
Old Jul 5, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mersk862
Originally Posted by indufan
How dare you let the facts get in the way of a good union bashing.
It doesn't take a union contract exclusive to Delta to disrupt operations at JFK.

I'm just relaying the reason that was related to me for my flight delay there on Saturday. I have nothing against unions and no, that wasn't union bashing.

As to JFK Unions; there are the taxi drivers, security (i would presume, other than TSA), baggage handlers and those all important wheelchair attendants ...

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...aten-to-strike

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2300796

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-ban/97198818/

Last edited by KenTarmac; Jul 5, 2017 at 7:50 pm
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:15 pm

All Delta's ramp employees are non union. The only time the ramp is closed is due to lightening in the vicinity. The airport authority actually makes that call and closes the ramps. Delta has to comply and frankly it would be stupid not to do do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.