Wiki Posts
Search

Off Duty Pilot - Phone Usage

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Off Duty Pilot - Phone Usage

Hi All,

Was just curious if I was overreacting on this, but it bothered me. I was sitting next to an off-duty pilot a couple days ago who was heading to JFK in full uniform, badge and all. He used his cell phone (texting, browsing internet, etc.) for at least 2-3 minutes after we were airborne.

I thought that was weird, then as we were getting close to landing, he took his phone off airplane mode just after we passed under 10k feet and used it throughout the landing.

I know many people leave their phones on (knowingly or otherwise), but seemed pretty irresponsible for a pilot to do this.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
What's irresponsible about it? It causes no harm.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yohanson
Sorry, I'm an economist, I'm not commenting on how cell phone usage impacts planes. I just know I'm told about 150 times a year that it's not allowed. Seems like something a pilot would avoid doing.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:36 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Welcome to FlyerTalk, 425!

I agree it doesn't cause harm, but probably isn't a good example for passengers as Delta must legally ask the passengers to be compliant with the FAR of not using phones in transmit mode, regardless of whether or not it makes a safety difference.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I do it all the time
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Perhaps he was typing emails/texts, and wanted to be able to send them upon landing. You are obviously very nosey to be able to tell exactly what he was doing, particularly as the aircraft went below 10K feet during the descent. If you could observe all this, then I assume that any passing flight attendant would have been able to also. Didn't you have anything better to do? Obviously not!
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Doesn't set the greatest example. I had a similar dilemma seated next to a flight attendant who had her cellular connection on and was playing Words With Friends all through landing. Turned out I had far more pressing things to complain about to DL that month, so I never mentioned it. A year or two later, that same FA provided some of the best service I've ever had in F during a diversion.

I just think about it like a cop speeding while not responding to a call. Sucks that they're doing something they'd bust me for, but ultimately, not much is gonna change it, and aside from the appearances, it doesn't truly matter.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by 425
Hi All,
Welcome to FT! ^

Originally Posted by audidudi
Perhaps he was typing emails/texts, and wanted to be able to send them upon landing. You are obviously very nosey to be able to tell exactly what he was doing, particularly as the aircraft went below 10K feet during the descent. If you could observe all this, then I assume that any passing flight attendant would have been able to also. Didn't you have anything better to do? Obviously not!
Actually a passing FA is rather unlikely to observe a passenger taking his/her phone out of airplane mode.

Welcome to my ignore list!

David
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by audidudi
Incorrect. Saw him turn airplane mode on/off. Wasn't trying to be nosey, just catches your eye when you are sitting in confined spaces with nothing better to do. I'm sure everybody has been the culprit of this at some point, just seemed weird that a seasoned pilot would blatantly ignore rules.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
About 2 months ago a Delta captain in full uniform in the aisle across from me had headphones on and read the newspaper (or book) during the entire emergency briefing pre takeoff (was Row 2 of C+).

Bothered me just a tad and definitely not the best example. Pretty sure I posted about it in the least substantive things I can complain about thread.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:21 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by apodo77
About 2 months ago a Delta captain in full uniform in the aisle across from me had headphones on and read the newspaper (or book) during the entire emergency briefing pre takeoff (was Row 2 of C+).

Bothered me and definitely not the best example.
Does everybody really have to pay attention every time?

I'm sure most FlyerTalkers could recite the entire safety briefing of their preferred airline, including accounting for aircraft type variance.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by yohanson
Really?
Ever heard of lead by example?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by apodo77

Bothered me and definitely not the best example. Pretty sure I posted about it in the least substantive things I can complain about thread.
You do realize the pilot is trained to handle emergencies just like FA. No need to listen, nor is there a rule that says one must.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You do realize the pilot is trained to handle emergencies just like FA. No need to listen, nor is there a rule that says one must.
Missing my point but to each their own.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: none
How many points are you going to request for having to endure this outrage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.