Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Tight connection: should I be concerned?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2017, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Hi,
I'm flying from BOS to TLV with a 1:26 stopover in JFK.
The flight from Boston is the last flight of the day, and is regularly late. Sometimes hours late. The tlv flight is usually on time, but flightaware tells me it can be a few hours late. I'm in delta1.
Last week, delta called me to ask me to change my flight by a day. I agreed to reduce the chance of being involuntarily bumped, and a fair number of points. But I don't want to lose another vacation day. When rebooking the flight, I asked to leave Boston earlier, but I was told that wasn't possible as the flights, 3811 and 468 are linked.
Any reassuring thoughts?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by bosgo
Last week, delta called me to ask me to change my flight by a day. I agreed to reduce the chance of being involuntarily bumped, and a fair number of points.
- How often is a D1 passenger IDB'ed?
- Points? Are you flying on an Award ticket?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To answer your question, Yes I'd be concern. I have the same issue with flights to JFK. The non-stop flights(all Delta Connection) are regularly late so much that I take the indirect route through ATL on mainline flights which don't have any delay issues.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
If it's sunny and not windy, JFK will be fine. If it's windy or stormy, all bets are off. JFK winds up with ATC delays, especially in the PM, often due to weather.

However, my bigger concern would be that you are coming from BOS. Due to the runway construction there, BOS has delays daily, often lengthy.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bosgo
Hi,
I'm flying from BOS to TLV with a 1:26 stopover in JFK.
The flight from Boston is the last flight of the day, and is regularly late. Sometimes hours late. The tlv flight is usually on time, but flightaware tells me it can be a few hours late. I'm in delta1.
Last week, delta called me to ask me to change my flight by a day. I agreed to reduce the chance of being involuntarily bumped, and a fair number of points. But I don't want to lose another vacation day. When rebooking the flight, I asked to leave Boston earlier, but I was told that wasn't possible as the flights, 3811 and 468 are linked.
Any reassuring thoughts?
Since they changed you there was no need to keep same flights. Call back and explain what happened. Agent should allow you to rebook.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies

My ticket was a full fare purchase.
I'm traveling with two others on the same route. Maybe that makes a difference?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's no "linkage" between 3811 and 468 and the 5:05PM Flight 42 BOS-JFK (continues to BRU on another aircraft -- but that's not relevant) is a perfectly acceptable alternative. Granted it gives you a 3H50M layover, but if
weather looks iffy or things are starting to get backed up into JFK, I'd get to the airport early and see if they can put you on DL42. Note, the phase I runway re-construction at BOS is done now, so I think things should be getting better in terms of delays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.