Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles
Upgrade help

I have a T fare ticket DTW-MCO and would like to upgrade with miles. I can't find my answer on DL website and I'm just short of calling. Figured I would ask here first since y'all are my "go to" for answers. I have X fare inbound but I'm not concerned about getting upgrade for that leg. Is this a feasible option? Thanks!
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:35 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Welcome to FlyerTalk, dtwmsy!

You can upgrade the T fare with miles if there is mileage upgrade inventory, which is not guaranteed. I don't know how many miles will be required, I'm sure somebody will know and post it shortly. However, I would suspect it will be a poor value.

You may want to consider seeing if you have a FCM (First Class Monetization) pay-to-upgrade offer. You can do this by looking at the itinerary or seat-map on Delta.com.

Finally, you may want to hold off on calling for a day or two. I just tried to call as a PM and was told an hour wait, apparently there is severe weather on the East Coast.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, CW! The C+ cash upgrade was $89 and FC was $269. I would rather use miles if possible. I can't believe they want that much for C+. I used to pay less than $50 for C+ upgrade and would normally do it when I did online check in. I try to fly nonrev but the availability can be slim to none and I wanted a confirmed seat (Disney!!). Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Upgrading with miles from a T fare will run 30k each way, based on what we know of the hidden award charts.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:47 pm
C W

Originally Posted by dtwmsy
Thanks, CW! The C+ cash upgrade was $89 and FC was $269. I would rather use miles if possible. I can't believe they want that much for C+. I used to pay less than $50 for C+ upgrade and would normally do it when I did online check in. I try to fly nonrev but the availability can be slim to none and I wanted a confirmed seat (Disney!!). Thanks for your help!
No problem

Assuming that you're not flying imminently, I would keep your eyes on the FC upgrade price and see if it fluctuates.

I'm sure somebody will be along who can tell you what the mileage cost would be.

Finally, note that there has been extensive discussion on this board recently about the changes to FCM. You may be seeing a price online that is not the same as the difference between the FC fare and the fare you paid. However, the latter is still available by calling and a phone agent will be happy to price out that upgrade cost for you.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:49 pm
C W

Originally Posted by javabytes
Upgrading with miles from a T fare will run 30k each way, based on what we know of the hidden award charts.
I would take $269 FCM over 30k mileage upgrade easily as I value SM at more than $0.01. FCM will also allow more RDM and MQM to be earned.

I would still call and see the difference between the online FCM offer and the fare difference to upgrade, and then choose the better option.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You can also select a seat in FC/C+ on seatmap and it'll give a price to upgrade that flight alone.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
You can also select a seat in FC/C+ on seatmap and it'll give a price to upgrade that flight alone.
Yes but as a previous poster said, you should call in and ask for the price of buying up to F before doing this as there have been widespread reports of the online prices being higher.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:07 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Yes but as a previous poster said, you should call in and ask for the price of buying up to F before doing this as there have been widespread reports of the online prices being higher.
I concur - i was getting wild pricing for FC upgrade on a ticket and called and was offered a price that was half of what was online.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C W
No problem

Assuming that you're not flying imminently, I would keep your eyes on the FC upgrade price and see if it fluctuates.

I'm sure somebody will be along who can tell you what the mileage cost would be.

Finally, note that there has been extensive discussion on this board recently about the changes to FCM. You may be seeing a price online that is not the same as the difference between the FC fare and the fare you paid. However, the latter is still available by calling and a phone agent will be happy to price out that upgrade cost for you.

Enjoy your trip!
I'm glad I waited! Since it was a confirmed for less fare, I was able to get a first class upgrade for $138. Thank you!
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
good result

however there will be a very irritated DM out there
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:05 pm
C W

Originally Posted by dtwmsy
I'm glad I waited! Since it was a confirmed for less fare, I was able to get a first class upgrade for $138. Thank you!
Happy I was able to help!

Enjoy your flight
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Discount F fares on this route are $333 while T fares are $199. Not really a discount.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
No matter what this is a rip off. You would pay $100 per hour to sit in domestic first on a crappy plane ? Or 30,000 miles. It will take $6000 in spend to get those miles back
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by aero0729
No matter what this is a rip off. You would pay $100 per hour to sit in domestic first on a crappy plane ? Or 30,000 miles. It will take $6000 in spend to get those miles back
in “FCM - The Definitive Thread” there’s a fairly widely held consensus that $1/minute is a reasonable metric for the “value” of a purchased UG ... DTW-MCO is ~2.5 hours, so $138 is very close to meeting that threshold

you are of course entitled to make it known that you hold a dissenting opinion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.