Go Back   > > >

Old Jun 18, 17, 5:28 pm   #1
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles
Upgrade help

I have a T fare ticket DTW-MCO and would like to upgrade with miles. I can't find my answer on DL website and I'm just short of calling. Figured I would ask here first since y'all are my "go to" for answers. I have X fare inbound but I'm not concerned about getting upgrade for that leg. Is this a feasible option? Thanks!
dtwmsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 17, 5:35 pm   #2
C W

Programs: DL PM, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, CSR, VRR NRW Ticket, Eurail Global 1st
Welcome to FlyerTalk, dtwmsy!

You can upgrade the T fare with miles if there is mileage upgrade inventory, which is not guaranteed. I don't know how many miles will be required, I'm sure somebody will know and post it shortly. However, I would suspect it will be a poor value.

You may want to consider seeing if you have a FCM (First Class Monetization) pay-to-upgrade offer. You can do this by looking at the itinerary or seat-map on Delta.com.

Finally, you may want to hold off on calling for a day or two. I just tried to call as a PM and was told an hour wait, apparently there is severe weather on the East Coast.
C W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 17, 5:42 pm   #3
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles
Thanks, CW! The C+ cash upgrade was $89 and FC was $269. I would rather use miles if possible. I can't believe they want that much for C+. I used to pay less than $50 for C+ upgrade and would normally do it when I did online check in. I try to fly nonrev but the availability can be slim to none and I wanted a confirmed seat (Disney!!). Thanks for your help!
dtwmsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 17, 5:45 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec, Avis Presidents Club
Upgrading with miles from a T fare will run 30k each way, based on what we know of the hidden award charts.
javabytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 17, 5:47 pm   #5
C W

Programs: DL PM, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, CSR, VRR NRW Ticket, Eurail Global 1st
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwmsy View Post
Thanks, CW! The C+ cash upgrade was $89 and FC was $269. I would rather use miles if possible. I can't believe they want that much for C+. I used to pay less than $50 for C+ upgrade and would normally do it when I did online check in. I try to fly nonrev but the availability can be slim to none and I wanted a confirmed seat (Disney!!). Thanks for your help!
No problem

Assuming that you're not flying imminently, I would keep your eyes on the FC upgrade price and see if it fluctuates.

I'm sure somebody will be along who can tell you what the mileage cost would be.

Finally, note that there has been extensive discussion on this board recently about the changes to FCM. You may be seeing a price online that is not the same as the difference between the FC fare and the fare you paid. However, the latter is still available by calling and a phone agent will be happy to price out that upgrade cost for you.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 18, 17, 5:49 pm   #6
C W

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
Upgrading with miles from a T fare will run 30k each way, based on what we know of the hidden award charts.
I would take $269 FCM over 30k mileage upgrade easily as I value SM at more than $0.01. FCM will also allow more RDM and MQM to be earned.

I would still call and see the difference between the online FCM offer and the fare difference to upgrade, and then choose the better option.
Old Jun 18, 17, 7:22 pm   #7
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
You can also select a seat in FC/C+ on seatmap and it'll give a price to upgrade that flight alone.
flyerCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 17, 9:47 pm   #8

Programs: DL GM, SPG plat, Amex Plat, Marriott, Avis Preferred
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
You can also select a seat in FC/C+ on seatmap and it'll give a price to upgrade that flight alone.
Yes but as a previous poster said, you should call in and ask for the price of buying up to F before doing this as there have been widespread reports of the online prices being higher.
jdrtravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 17, 11:07 pm   #9

Programs: Ritz/Marriott/SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, DL Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
Yes but as a previous poster said, you should call in and ask for the price of buying up to F before doing this as there have been widespread reports of the online prices being higher.
I concur - i was getting wild pricing for FC upgrade on a ticket and called and was offered a price that was half of what was online.
pharmawalk is offline   Reply With Quote