Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy, infant/family seating, and multiple PNRs (oh my)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Economy, infant/family seating, and multiple PNRs (oh my)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 2:56 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by rylan
Not saying they need to be together, but when you book a ticket that says no seat assignments and you have children that need to be together, that is just asking for trouble.
"ability to select seats" is not necessary for "airline will seat you next to your child" to be met, and having a little popup box doesn't exempt an airline from it's moral obligation to put a car seat child next to a parent.

Would all of you "PUNISH THE PEON WHO DARES TO BUY BASIC ECONOMY" people be happy if the airline put the parent and child next to each other but didn't tell the passenger what seats they would be in? Because that's basically what they did, they didn't let the passenger pick what seats she wanted.

More importantly, why are all you guys determined that this passenger get screwed as much as possible?? What are you guys going to miss out on if she's less than completely miserable?
Old May 8, 2017, 2:57 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zorak
I do see both sides of this, actually. You shouldn't be able to buy a seat that explicitly excludes the ability to choose a seat, and then hack your way around the cheaper fare by having special seating needs.
So if a handicapped person buys this fare, too bad? They shouldn't be allowed to have any consideration? Regardless of what the law says, even? A checkbox on a website overrides the law in your opinion?
Old May 8, 2017, 2:58 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingNone
----------------------
Do the airlines and parents also expect total strangers to put oxygen masks on the child in the event of an emergency ? Of course anybody with a conscience would do it but you can imagine the angst of everyone involved ?
there would definitely be some flyertalk regulars who would complain for YEARS about it
Old May 8, 2017, 3:08 pm

Would disallowing families with kids from purchasing Basic Economy violate some consumer protection law? I think it would be smart, but I see how it could be called discrimination.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
how many of the posters here are going to be negatively affected if a mom and a toddler are seated next to each other in the back of the plane? The fact that you guys even care about this at all is disgraceful. Just wishing misery on other people for no reason other than to prove your superiority.
Agreed! All these people must be delta shareholders upset they weren't able to squeeze another $50 out of a family's budget due to there actually being a few regulations left
Old May 8, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pvn
"ability to select seats" is not necessary for "airline will seat you next to your child" to be met, and having a little popup box doesn't exempt an airline from it's moral obligation to put a car seat child next to a parent.

Would all of you "PUNISH THE PEON WHO DARES TO BUY BASIC ECONOMY" people be happy if the airline put the parent and child next to each other but didn't tell the passenger what seats they would be in? Because that's basically what they did, they didn't let the passenger pick what seats she wanted.

More importantly, why are all you guys determined that this passenger get screwed as much as possible?? What are you guys going to miss out on if she's less than completely miserable?
This +1,000,000.

Why does anyone care? All they did was purchase a fare that guaranteed they got seats but weren't able to pick preferential ones. You show me which person will be mad that they got a middle seat in the third to last row vs. getting an aisle seat in the last row with someone else's unattended 2-year-old in the middle. Because that person either 1) also bought a BE ticket and has no right to complain or 2) CHOSE to sit in the middle, knowing that was what they were picking when booking their regular econ ticket.

And the comment upthread about it being wrong to purchase the cheaper ticket and then "hack" their way around the no seat assignment rule.... that's a total load of ....

This forum is full of people that do that exact same thing all the time. People (myself included) buy cheaper first class fares and then SDC (read: hack) their way to the better/preferred/more expensive flight all the time. DM's ask for co-terminal changes. Medallions get fees waived that shouldn't be all the time. Are we all breaking the rules? Should we deserve a miserable experience too?

The people from OP's post purchased a ticket. They then asked for something. They got it. They didn't break any rules. They played the game within the system and won. Good for them.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:29 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by pvn
So if a handicapped person buys this fare, too bad? They shouldn't be allowed to have any consideration? Regardless of what the law says, even? A checkbox on a website overrides the law in your opinion?
I'm not suggesting that anyone can override the law with a checkbox. I freely admit to not knowing what the law fully requires in this situation.

From a purely philosophical/moral standpoint though, it's unclear to me that "you can't buy an E fare" would constitute invidious discrimination against handicapped passengers. And FWIW my best friend since we were 11 is wheelchair-bound, so it's not that I'm unaware of or insensitive to disability issues.

(Note, the wheelchair-bound friend is not the same as the friend taking the E trip in the original post, I'm just bringing him up for context)

By way of analogy we were spectators at a pro hockey game and sat in the wheelchair section. I forget what we paid compared to the seats around us, but it's unclear to me whether sports arenas should be forced to provide wheelchair seating in every single price category, or if failing to do so, whether they should be forced to make wheelchair seats in more expensive sections available at nosebleed prices if there are no wheelchair-accessible nosebleed seats.

I don't think it'd be right if the only accessible seats cost $1000 more than the cheapest seat, so I guess it's a question of degree.

Interesting question though. Will have to think about it some more.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MEMLawGuy
And the comment upthread about it being wrong to purchase the cheaper ticket and then "hack" their way around the no seat assignment rule.... that's a total load of ....
Well, I'm also the OP, so make of that what you will

This forum is full of people that do that exact same thing all the time. People (myself included) buy cheaper first class fares and then SDC (read: hack) their way to the better/preferred/more expensive flight all the time. DM's ask for co-terminal changes. Medallions get fees waived that shouldn't be all the time. Are we all breaking the rules? Should we deserve a miserable experience too?
The difference is, when I buy a cheap F fare and then try to SDC onto SFO-JFK in D1, I accept the possibility I may have to fly my original itinerary. If I ask about the possibility of a fee waiver I realize I may not get it.

I doubt, if we told my friends, "you have 24B, child #1 has 27A, your mom has 35F, and child #2 is in 16C" that that would be a viable outcome for them, and probably not for any of the travelers around 27A or 16C. (Not that the ages matter but child #2 is less than a year old.)

The people from OP's post purchased a ticket. They then asked for something. They got it. They didn't break any rules. They played the game within the system and won. Good for them.
I'm totally happy for them that they at least got seats together; I'm also a good enough a friend that I'm trying to help them make the trip as smooth as possible (in contrast to the people on the first page who think I should just let them learn a lesson); but at the same time I think I'm viewing this objectively as an issue with people using this as an excuse to save $$.

By the same token, how do you feel about fake emotional support animals, or "miracle flight" pre-boarders? Totally ok with it?
Old May 8, 2017, 3:43 pm
pvn
Suspended

I think I'm viewing this objectively as an issue with people using this as an excuse to save $$.
uh? yes, the point of the basic economy fare is to save money.

By the same token, how do you feel about fake emotional support animals, or "miracle flight" pre-boarders? Totally ok with it?
unless you're suggesting that this woman has a fake baby then this isn't the same thing.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Do you get the same warnings about E fares if you book through an OTA?
It is impossible to tell an e-fare on amex travel until you try to get a seat assignment. I always check delta.com first to know the dollar value of the e-fare. Only way to get out of e-fare is to call or book PE.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
uh? yes, the point of the basic economy fare is to save money.

unless you're suggesting that this woman has a fake baby then this isn't the same thing.
1. But only subject to certain restrictions that you agree to.

2. No, I've met both kids but it's a question about the "get away with any rules bending you can" ethos. Which I don't think my friends have, I don't think they plan to ever buy another E fare. But MEMLawGuy seemed to be implying.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Are you saying that phone agents have been overriding the caveat that E fares cannot select a seat until check in, to assign seats to passengers traveling with kids (so they do not get split up at check in seat roulette)?

If so, this is ridiculous. They simply should refuse to do it because the restrictions couldn't be any clearer.

First pre-boards with children, now bending certain rules because you have children...enough is enough. One's children is one's own responsibility - if you want to sit next to them, BUY seats for them next to you, instead of depending on better treatment based on the rules than other passengers simply because you have kids.
So, DL should very strictly enforce the rules/policies of the purchased fare, huh? Seems to me that someone with an identical screen name to yours has been posting in another thread about how DL should be flexible and lenient with their policies, rather than adhere to a "draconian, strict interpretation of the rules" when dealing with a certain family that wanted to occupy 4 seats when their tickets, by the letter of the law, were only valid for 3 seats.

I looked at one experimentally a while ago (months ago, long before the friends' trip came up), and I forget which OTA it was (maybe Orbitz) -- it did display the restrictions, but it was not nearly as in-your-face as the DL popup and it was not a modal dialog.

I would guess that the specific implementation could vary a lot from one OTA to another.
My company just piloted a new corporate OTA that uses Expedia as a backend. E fares are sold and you have to click into the fare rules to see the restrictions. It's quite messy and I expect lots of very angry employees if Basic Economy fares (on all airlines) aren't suppressed from the search results.

Originally Posted by pvn

+100 to all of this. E fares restrict the passengers from selecting their own seats. It does not preclude DL from assigning them whatever seats DL thinks makes sense given the situation. There is nothing in there that says DL is prohibited from assigning their own seats to whatever passengers they want at whatever time. The DL agents made a great move in meeting the family's need to be together, but giving them some of the least desirable seats on the plane in exchange.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ajwright
While I may generally agree with you, if you bought an E fare you accept the possibility of being separated from your kids. HOWEVER, there is a difference between overriding the E fare restriction because a parents WANTS to sit next to their child and because Delta REQUIRES the parent to sit next to the child.

As I understand from the OP, the children will be in Car Seats (which Delta recommends for children) and when a parent is traveling with kids in a Child Restraint then "An accompanying adult must sit next to the child." I would say that in cases were Delta has another rule such as this one, it is appropriate to bend the seat assignment rules - so as to prevent an issue where the GA at the last minute has to scramble to ensure the family can legally board (regardless of their seating preferences).
Then E fares should not be sold to children under age X or to anyone traveling with children under age X. If they want seat aassignments in advance together on the basis of traveling with children, charge them the fare difference. Having children does not entitle you to special benefits for which others must pay.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gooselee
+100 to all of this. E fares restrict the passengers from selecting their own seats. It does not preclude DL from assigning them whatever seats DL thinks makes sense given the situation. There is nothing in there that says DL is prohibited from assigning their own seats to whatever passengers they want at whatever time. The DL agents made a great move in meeting the family's need to be together, but giving them some of the least desirable seats on the plane in exchange.
This seems like a pretty reasonable and balanced summation.

I've asked my other friend (the wheelchair user) what his take on E fares is (he is also a lawyer although granted he doesn't specialize in accessibility issues)
Old May 8, 2017, 5:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This +1,000,000.

Why does anyone care? All they did was purchase a fare that guaranteed they got seats but weren't able to pick preferential ones. You show me which person will be mad that they got a middle seat in the third to last row vs. getting an aisle seat in the last row with someone else's unattended 2-year-old in the middle. Because that person either 1) also bought a BE ticket and has no right to complain or 2) CHOSE to sit in the middle, knowing that was what they were picking when booking their regular econ ticket.

I'm not one of the "people who do the exact same thing all the time." I've never asked DL to waive a fee for me, although I don't unnecessarily pay them more money than what I owe. I don't buy FCM tickets for cheaper times and plan to SDC onto the flights I want: I purchase a ticket for the flights I plan to take and then occasionally switch to some inter (cheaper or more expensive) flight if my meeting arrives early. The possible exception would be purchasing or picking an award ticket with the domestic connection that's offered after an international arrival, ideally with plenty of time for immigration and customs, and then sometimes trying either to switch in order to get home earlier or to change to a later flight so that I can take a shower and/or avoid having to leave the airport during rush hour. Despite being DM since DL invented the DM level, I've never attempted a coterminal change.

Please don't assume that everybody here tries to break the rules. OTOH, I will accept FF miles and try to use them as appropriate and I will seek upgrades to which I am entitled according to published program rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.