Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy, infant/family seating, and multiple PNRs (oh my)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Economy, infant/family seating, and multiple PNRs (oh my)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
So tight connection, probably with seats at the back of the plane, make sure to travel as light as possible as they will already have to deal with two car seats and two young children. Anything else they bring with them will just weigh them down even more trying to get off the plane and trying to get to their next flight. Especially for their 2nd flight, they should not assume they will be able to fit anything into an overhead bin, so whatever carry on they do bring better be able to easily fit under the seat in front of them.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by Zorak
Sadly, no, it didn't occur to me to warn them about E fares, because it would never occur to me to buy an E fare, so it's sort of a blind spot for me. These aren't cheap tickets, BTW, bought inside 21 days. They're not poor, just infrequent flyers (and absolutely not DYKWIA types or I wouldn't be friends with them ), so it's useful to remember that what's obvious to us it not obvious to everyone else.

So while I fully agree they only have themselves to blame for the situation they are in (and to be clear, they are not blaming anyone), instead of everyone using this thread as an opportunity to signal how superior and righteous they are to other people, maybe we could refocus it on whether there's anything constructive to tell them that could help make the trip go easier (that means THIS trip, let's take "don't buy an E fare next time" for granted )

I'm already going with: check in early because of the child on a separate PNR, and make sure the PNRs are linked (with the usual caveat about linking just being a note). Get to the gate when it opens and double check what's going on with seat assignments. Any other suggestions?
Absolutely check in at T-24 and pack lightly if possible. There may be unsold seats closer to the front that are available on a FCFS basis. Since they absolutely have to sit together, this may be an exercise in seeing how familiar they are with their connecting airport. Since you're traveling with them, it should be okay.

I have lost count of how many times I've seen people turned around in ATL or who board the plane train in the wrong direction, for instance. Having someone more experienced there will help them out of a potentially bad situation.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:44 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
Absolutely check in at T-24 and pack lightly if possible. There may be unsold seats closer to the front that are available on a FCFS basis. Since they absolutely have to sit together, this may be an exercise in seeing how familiar they are with their connecting airport. Since you're traveling with them, it should be okay.

I have lost count of how many times I've seen people turned around in ATL or who board the plane train in the wrong direction, for instance. Having someone more experienced there will help them out of a potentially bad situation.
Sorry, to clarify I meant "going with" in terms of what advice I already planned to give them, not that I was going on the trip also.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by Zorak
Sorry, to clarify I meant "going with" in terms of what advice I already planned to give them, not that I was going on the trip also.
Ah, then it may be good advice for them to have the Delta app on their phones and use it if they are unfamiliar with the connecting airport.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I would reiterate your advice about early airport arrival. If you haven't already done so, explain that they will have to check in at Special Services. Those lines are unpredictable, but can be particularly long and slow around the check-in times of large international flights.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Are you saying that phone agents have been overriding the caveat that E fares cannot select a seat until check in, to assign seats to passengers traveling with kids (so they do not get split up at check in seat roulette)?

If so, this is ridiculous. They simply should refuse to do it because the restrictions couldn't be any clearer.

First pre-boards with children, now bending certain rules because you have children...enough is enough. One's children is one's own responsibility - if you want to sit next to them, BUY seats for them next to you, instead of depending on better treatment based on the rules than other passengers simply because you have kids.
Yes. If you call and whine "but I have an infant" they will give you a seat. Personally I think if book a reservation that in BOLD tells you "NO SEAT ASSIGNMENTS" then Delta should nicely say "sure We will put your child next to you, can I have your credit card for the $50 upcharge?"

And in this case I could have seen them easily giving mom and the kids the last row and telling the other adult "too bad, your seat is assigned at the airport"

I expect the last row is the compromise.

OP should not have to "warn" them. If you ever try to book them it's IMPOSSIBLE to miss! The screen pops up in BIG letters and warns you what you are getting. Being inexperienced is not an excuse for failure to read what is on the screen in BOLD in front of you!

If they booked on Delta they knew exactly what they were getting and chose to save the $10 a ticket...
Old May 8, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
If you are on a layover with time to kill, go to Delta's Facebook page, and look at the public comments.

I can almost guarantee you, given the content of the comments, when E Fares were purchased.

People seem to click through the disclaimers.
I don't consider Facebook comments the be all end all of Delta flyers purchasing E fares.
To each their own of course.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
The amount of compassion and understanding shown on this thread is moving, and heart warming.

My faith on my fellow human beings has been restored.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Do you get the same warnings about E fares if you book through an OTA?
Old May 8, 2017, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Do you get the same warnings about E fares if you book through an OTA?
I looked at one experimentally a while ago (months ago, long before the friends' trip came up), and I forget which OTA it was (maybe Orbitz) -- it did display the restrictions, but it was not nearly as in-your-face as the DL popup and it was not a modal dialog.

I would guess that the specific implementation could vary a lot from one OTA to another.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Since they willingly purchased the E fare with a 40 min connection and generally understood that there are no seat assignments etc, then there isn't much else to say. They got lucky that an agent manually force-assigned seats in the back because of the carseats needing to be located with the adults. They aren't entitled to anything more or better seating closer to the door.

I would not be very comfortable with a 40 min connection in ATL with kids and carseats to lug around. Being at the back of the plane, especially a 753, makes this a high risk situation for missing the connection if they have to change terminals.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:51 pm

If you think it is appropriate for a car seat age child to not be assigned a seat next to a parent for want of $50 I hope you will be the first to volunteer to babysit for the flight.

I suppose the phone agent may have gone farther than required when she assigned seats to both adults, but some if the attitudes in this thread are disgusting.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Not saying they need to be together, but when you book a ticket that says no seat assignments and you have children that need to be together, that is just asking for trouble.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by beachmouse
While I'm all for 'you buy the E ticket, you deal with the consequences' in theory, in practical terms, I'd rather Mom or Dad gets a seat assigned next to their 3 and 5 year olds rather than a total stranger being the one expected to somehow keep the kids entertained and from kicking the backs of the seats in front of them.

Especially if that total stranger is me. Why should I have to suffer as they learn their lesson?
----------------------
Do the airlines and parents also expect total strangers to put oxygen masks on the child in the event of an emergency ? Of course anybody with a conscience would do it but you can imagine the angst of everyone involved ?
Old May 8, 2017, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

I do see both sides of this, actually. You shouldn't be able to buy a seat that explicitly excludes the ability to choose a seat, and then hack your way around the cheaper fare by having special seating needs.

I would be fine with some seating charge if you decide after the fact that you need an assigned seat after all, which still keeps in place the other E fare restrictions. That way there's at least an official remedy vs. having to appeal to an agent's sympathies, which leads to the highly variable experiences that everyone at FT loves so much

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.