Old May 15, 2017, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Tentative schedule:

assume group drinking/eating throughout the weekend

all details subject to change, check back for updates

Friday 8/11:
landside:
Museum Surplus Sale (davetravels, sky303, CaptainMiles)

airside:
afternoon Sky Club crawl as people arrive (flight arrival info below)
dinner at OFS, time still being negotiated
after-drinks somewhere near the airport?

Saturday 8/12:
10am breakfast/brunch at the Hapeville Dwarf House diner side of Chik-Fil-A: https://goo.gl/maps/ij9yFdaxUTJ2
followed by Delta Museum (747 experience opens at noon)
Spondivits for dinner or late night drinks?

Sunday 8/13:
current proposal:
Fat Matt's BBQ 1pm https://goo.gl/maps/2vV7rQ2Yup32
followed by Sweetwater 2:30pm-4:30pm https://goo.gl/maps/nhjmDzS8A9P2
dinner -- ???
nighttime comedy show?

Monday 8/14:
ATL TRACON tour 9am-11am (note, ~25-30 miles sw of ATL airport)
***If you are interested in this please PM me your first/last name as they appear on a government-issued photo ID, as we will need to present these before the tour

carpool/rideshare from downtown somewhere TBD

Confirmed: Zorak, angra, lov2fly, ND76, Canarsie, MSPeconomist, sky303
-----

Interest list: (arrival time on Friday for coordinating Sky Club/dinner)

Zorak (Friday 15:49 DL1865)
gooselee+1
krazykanuck
CMK10
TheLifeOfA_NKCM -really strong maybe.
Angra
CaptainMiles - local (not flying in), need to be guested into SC (can guest into The Club at ATL, if we end up there)
ND76 (8/11/17: DL2604, arrives ATL 1150)
fsuj25 (8/11/17 hopefully around 5:30)
MemphisQueen +1
captaink
Lov2Fly
johnnywho - (Fri 16:24 on AA2255) a. need to be guested in
davetravels - Confirmed - arriving Thurs - overnite in Buckhead / N Druid Hills - anyone else? Then, museum surplus sale Fri AM - Airport meet-up Fri afternoon - then 7:26 PM flight to MEX.
kirkwoodj - Fri 20:55 on UA6104, guessing too late for club crawl/dinner
MSPeconomist (Friday 8/11/17 DL1551 arriving at 4:38 pm)
sky303 - probably will do the surplus sale Friday before the airport
shenanigans. Have club access, but can't guest.
ChiefNWA - have club access but cannot guest. Will fly in for the museum/747 exhibit Sat.
MEMLawGuy - Have short layover in B on 8/11: arriving around 4:30pm departing around 6pm. I do have guest privileges on SC access.
Print Wikipost

ATL mini-DO August 11-14ish 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Starting tonight and for the next two weeks, there is also a liquidation sale going on at the Sheraton Atlanta Airport, as it is now permanently closed and will eventually be torn down....but you have been there more than once and most likely have already seen what the others might be seeing.
True, but that doesn't mean that I don't want to see it again.....just like doing a simulator once is never enough.....and the same for seeing automated baggage handling systems at work, etc.

ADDED: BTW, I visited the DL Museum several times, including after it was closed for renovation, but I still plan to return on Saturday. I've also visited every ATL SC, some many times, and I plan to crawl to some of them tomorrow with the gang. Similarly, I've eaten in OFS before, including as part of a FT group.

At least my reaction to ATL activities (some of which you were at least partially responsible for organizing in the past) isn't "been there, done that, thanks but never again."

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Aug 10, 2017 at 9:40 pm
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by davetravels
As far as I understand it at the moment, Clear membership has absolutely nothing to do with Sky Club entry, admission, ID checking, nothing. Apparently, the kiosk when you get off the elevator is usually manned by another hawker trying to get you to sign up. They have 2 hawkers there on busy days. Only one today. He was inside the club.

The kiosks are obviously tied into SkyMiles, because is the display with showing the price of $179 until I entered my SkyMiles number, then it was free.
There is a Clear fingerprint reader at the concierge station at the entrance to the DCA SC; and I saw people using it and getting in that way. I'll try it in a few hours and let you know how it turned out.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm so jealous. If I had known about the offer of a HQ visit, I would have planned to arrive earlier.
Same, I would've tried harder to get out of work on Friday. Alas, probably still wouldn't have been able to swing it...just means we'll have to do it again sometime!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Coming through ATL tomorrow: landing around 4:30pm leaving at 6:00pm. (That's my best estimate with the "padded" times.) My guess is I'll be in and out of B concourse. Could meet at the SC there -- I do have guest privileges.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MEMLawGuy
Coming through ATL tomorrow: landing around 4:30pm leaving at 6:00pm. (That's my best estimate with the "padded" times.) My guess is I'll be in and out of B concourse. Could meet at the SC there -- I do have guest privileges.
I'm scheduled to arrive tomorrow (Friday) at 4:38 (although it's likely to actually get in ten or twenty minutes early), and it looks like the flight consistently uses A gates. I'm pretty much willing to do the SCs in any order, although for me hopefully not all of them in one day after a FC lunch flight. BTW, I don't need to be guested in, although unfortunately I can no longer guest others (without paying).
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm scheduled to arrive tomorrow (Friday) at 4:38 (although it's likely to actually get in ten or twenty minutes early), and it looks like the flight consistently uses A gates. I'm pretty much willing to do the SCs in any order, although for me hopefully not all of them in one day after a FC lunch flight. BTW, I don't need to be guested in, although unfortunately I can no longer guest others (without paying).
I get in (scheduled) at 4:37pm. Expect that to be a bit early. Regional flight. Mainline AC, so probably A/B concourse. So I'd offer to meet all those that want to join at the B SC at 4:45 from 5:30 before I have to scoot for a 6pm departure. I can guest 2 in, if needed. Drinks, Jack and Finland...whatever the free stuff is now, on me of course. It'll be Friday, so I'll have already had some Woodfords... don't show if you can't keep up!
sky303 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:54 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MEMLawGuy
Oh, cool -- paging johnnywho and CaptainMiles
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Page heard. I just don't know what to do once I get there. Maybe we should establish a tent camp outside B SC. But I stand firm on my guesting... I've learned a lot from this forum. Even though most of us just argue with each other all the time. I'm down for, at least for me, behind the curtain moment.

See: Song: Santa Monica; Everclear (that may date me a bit; but really the hook if my favorite part)
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:22 pm

I'm willing to join the SC crawl at any of the ATL SCs. Someone will just need to tell me how to find the group when I land. However, please don't expect me to hit the hard stuff or even to have a glass of wine in most of them!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:15 am

Programs: A3 *Gold, AA Plat, AB Plat, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by Zorak
That sounds great. I will be arriving at 16:24 on AA2255.

I have no clue which terminal that is...hang on... google says something about concourse T.

I will try to get AA stuff to collect my suitcase from the carousel and then head over to meet you guys.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 6:23 am

If anyone's interested: There's supposed to be some special art show at ATL down in the tunnel for the plane train, specifically on the *walk* between A and B. [Sorry that I didn't pay more attention to the details, but my thought was "aha, ATL is copying MSP."] I hope I remember to try walking instead of just jumping on the train as my best guess is that I'll arrive at the far end of A and at least some of the gang will be gathering in B at that time.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Who wants a brick from the original headquarters in Monroe? $1 each, comes with certificate of authenticity.

$1 at the surplus sale. By the time they get to the SC this afternoon price may go up.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Who wants a brick from the original headquarters in Monroe? $1 each, comes with certificate of authenticity.

$1 at the surplus sale. By the time they get to the SC this afternoon price may go up.
Father Jack: "I love my brick!"
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:54 am

Will TSA permit those bricks in carry on bags or are they considered to be weapons?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles

I'll take one if you're willing to hang on to it until brunch tomorrow!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.