Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What is going on TODAY at LAX and SFO?! [Cancellations!]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is going on TODAY at LAX and SFO?! [Cancellations!]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
Exclamation What is going on TODAY at LAX and SFO?! [Cancellations!]

I'm supposed to fly today from LAX to SFO, but my flight--along with several others have been cancelled. I tried to get on a shuttle flight to SEA and then connect south to SFO. Cancelled. They said that I could be rebooked for a flight in the morning.

Does anyone know what's going on? Weather in LA looks great. SFO looks good also. I looked on Flight Aware, and I see green dots for both airports!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
saw this on the AS board earlier -- Fri evening a SFO-SEA flight was switched to OAK

probably due to SFO Runway Construction March 31, 2017 - June 9, 2017

AS advisory
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
from fly.faa.gov

Due to RWY-TAXI / CONSTRUCTION, departure traffic destined to San Francisco International Airport, San Francisco, CA (SFO) is currently experiencing delays averaging 4 hours and 12 minutes.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Geezus -- I mean, DL would've known about this construction for awhile. Canceling the flight just a few hrs beforehand seems ridiculous. Along the way, other shuttle flights have been cancelled as well. There's something problemati, IMO, for DL to happily sell a ticket when they know that construction will ultimately impact their schedule.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:07 pm

Divert flights to SFO/SJC and offer buses. Or fly into SFO/OAK and take Caltrain to the City or BART. Much better than the 4 hour 12 minute delay.

Glad I am only flying out of SFO in July. Hope the mess will be over by then.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:30 pm

Hindsight is 20/20. You have the same access to runway construction plans as Delta. Delta happily sold you a ticket and you happily bought the ticket. LAX and JFK are also expecting construction delays. I hope you get there today. Happy Sunday!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Geezus -- I mean, DL would've known about this construction for awhile. Canceling the flight just a few hrs beforehand seems ridiculous. Along the way, other shuttle flights have been cancelled as well. There's something problemati, IMO, for DL to happily sell a ticket when they know that construction will ultimately impact their schedule.
I blame the SFO airport authority. To pretend that this was not going to adversely affect flights is foolishness. Perhaps it would have been wise to ask all airlines to reduce the number of flights by, say, 20% during this period. Other airports have successfully done this during runway construction.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Just landed at SFO -- it's eerily quiet. Makes me think like I've arrived in some small airport like Des Moines lol. All shuttle flights From SFO to SEA are cancelled. I imagine this creates a lot of disruptions.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
My flight MSP-SFO was only 5-10 minutes late to the gate. We arrived about 2:15PM. Everything seemed normal at gate 41... people everywhere.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
I got busted as well. Original flight SFO-JFK-AUA (in Delta One / domestic first), SFO-JFK is delayed for more than 2.5 hrs, new flight SJC-ATL-AUA (in domestic first), about 1.5 hrs delay. I've got a question - do they compensate when getting bumped from Delta One to domestic first?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Sjondorn
I got busted as well. Original flight SFO-JFK-AUA (in Delta One / domestic first), SFO-JFK is delayed for more than 2.5 hrs, new flight SJC-ATL-AUA (in domestic first), about 1.5 hrs delay. I've got a question - do they compensate when getting bumped from Delta One to domestic first?
they will give you a refund of the difference at time of booking.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
This is why I never understand why people prefer SFO. Unless you live or have business in San Francisco or San Mateo counties, OAK and SJC do a better job serving your needs.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by suvayanr
they will give you a refund of the difference at time of booking.
OK, let's see what I get out of it.
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
This is why I never understand why people prefer SFO. Unless you live or have business in San Francisco or San Mateo counties, OAK and SJC do a better job serving your needs.
Actually, the only reason for SFO for me was SFO-JFK segment in Delta One (it's a overnight flight, so a flat bed is handy).
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
SFO has multiple usable runways does it not? Wouldn't some delays seem more reasonable?

And 4hrs stated delays? Is the construction across the entire airfield?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
SFO has multiple usable runways does it not? Wouldn't some delays seem more reasonable?
there are two sets of parallel runways (1/19 and 10/28), but there's not enough horizontal separation between the parallels to allow simultaneous IFR approaches

the preferred traffic patterns (sourced from crankyflier.com) have arrivals using 28 (coming up the bay from the San Jose and Palo Alto area) and departures using 1 (heading across the bay toward Oakland)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.