Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

US Air Marshal Left Loaded Gun in Airplane Bathroom on TATL DL Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Air Marshal Left Loaded Gun in Airplane Bathroom on TATL DL Flight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:55 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
given the choice, I'd prefer to fly on a flight with a FAM.
Stated that way, I am sure most people would agree. Although gaffes like this occur, they're pretty rare and on average you're no doubt better off with the FAM on board than not (unless you're the person who got booted out of 2B/C )

Of course, given the choice, I'd prefer to have an armed FAM accompany me everywhere. That's not exactly cost-effective though.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I refuse to live my life scared. The flight deck doors are secure, no one can get in them and the second anyone tries they'll be quickly taken down. There will no longer be any hijackers making demands. If anyone tries there's a real possibility they'll be taken out in a body bag after the passengers have their way.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Do US Air Marshals fly to foreign countries with their guns? How does that work?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
Whoops! He forgot to retrieve a gun from lavatory. He can't leave his gun behind. That's a problem. Don't do it again
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:55 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
In theory, sure. However, in practice what you are asking for is very complicated. One can't really test this situation in any practical & ethical way. We won't know for certain that it "works" until a FAM stops someone from doing something awful. We also don't know is how much of a deterrent it currently is because how would you measure that?

We do know that, in other situations (not an airplane), armed authorities are able to make a difference when they show up.

I remain wholly unconvinced by these counter arguments, and if given the choice, I'd prefer to fly on a flight with a FAM.
So you admit there's no evidence that the FAM program has any benefits, but you're sure we should keep dumping money into the program? Because ... reasons.

Do you even know how much the program costs? Is there a dollar amount that would be "too much" in your opinion for a program that had (by your own admission) zero verifiable effects? Do you understand that every dollar spent on this program is a dollar that can't be spent conducting intelligence operations that actually do stop terrorists?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
Do you understand that every dollar spent on this program is a dollar that can't be spent conducting intelligence operations that actually do stop terrorists?
That' the first solid point you've made in all of your chatter about this. I could see that being a potentially useful and ethical shift of public resources.

What I'm not aware of is what evidence is used to justify the program. Is it really only optics as some would suggest? Is all of TSA just a theater? I know that claim is thrown around on here, and that examples of people (including undercover TSA staff doing tests) getting weapons through are not exactly rare. Still, I'd like to see real academic research conducted by neutral party.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:45 am
pvn
Suspended

Every post I've made in this thread has been about the cost, you just ignored that.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I refuse to live my life scared. The flight deck doors are secure, no one can get in them and the second anyone tries they'll be quickly taken down. There will no longer be any hijackers making demands. If anyone tries there's a real possibility they'll be taken out in a body bag after the passengers have their way.
Yeah, my opinion is that reinforced cockpit doors and the existence of non compliant passengers are doing a hell of a lot more for security than the air marshalls are. If the exact same scenario of the 9/11 hijacking were to happen today it wouldn't succeed because the cockpit door would be locked and reinforced and half the plane would be tackling the handful of people involved.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: Delta FO, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Gold, Nat'l Exec, Amex Plat
There is not one shred of factual evidence that the FAM program saves lives. Correlation does not equal causation. It's one of the "warm and fuzzy" government initiatives, like 99% of them, that is based on intentions and not results.

And this marshall should be fired, at minimum.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by rickg523
Thanks for letting us know that. Though I dispute it. True believer, in the right mood, given such an opportunity...you say no problem.
'kay.
The point is the probability of terrorism is so far into the tail end that the fear and resources focused on it borders on the absurd. What are the chances that 1) a FAM leaves their firearm somewhere, and 2) the next person who stumbles across it just happens to be a "terrorist" who didn't otherwise have any resources or plans to do anything bad on that flight, but now makes an impulsive decision to use that firearm to achieve some totally unplanned objective?

They're not getting though the cockpit door. The passengers will beat the hell out of them, before or after the 12 .357 SIG rounds in a P229 are discharged. At the end of the day, what's the result? Perhaps a few people killed, assuming the person can even figure out how to operate an unfamiliar firearm? That pales in comparison to what that same person probably could have done if they had just bought a gun and walked into a crowded place if that was their intention.

We can all let our imaginations run wild to the worst that could have happened, but that twists the reality of the world we live in.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

......examples of people (including undercover TSA staff doing tests) getting weapons through are not exactly rare........

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017/...-carry-on-bag/

TSA did, however, confiscated my toothpaste.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
This reminds me of a couple months ago I had a TPAC flight on CX F. I went to use the lav and found the co pilot ID lanyard next to the sink. For a cool 5 min i was a licensed pilot for the aircraft . When i handed out to the senior, the senior purser was freaking out, i thought the whole ordeal was hilarious. If i find a gun in the lab, I would've cleared itand handed it to the ISM.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by javabytes
The point is the probability of terrorism is so far into the tail end that the fear and resources focused on it borders on the absurd. What are the chances that 1) a FAM leaves their firearm somewhere, and 2) the next person who stumbles across it just happens to be a "terrorist" who didn't otherwise have any resources or plans to do anything bad on that flight, but now makes an impulsive decision to use that firearm to achieve some totally unplanned objective?

They're not getting though the cockpit door. The passengers will beat the hell out of them, before or after the 12 .357 SIG rounds in a P229 are discharged. At the end of the day, what's the result? Perhaps a few people killed, assuming the person can even figure out how to operate an unfamiliar firearm? That pales in comparison to what that same person probably could have done if they had just bought a gun and walked into a crowded place if that was their intention.

We can all let our imaginations run wild to the worst that could have happened, but that twists the reality of the world we live in.
My point wasn't about probabilities. My point was in response to bunch of shrugged shoulders over a person supposedly trained well enough to understand the problems with discharging a weapon in a fuselage full of people at 39000 feet losing track of their firearm on the plane.
Okay, terrorist unlikely. Half of a couple going through a nasty divorce. Child. Despondent, suicidal person. All individually unlikely. But at some point, a bunch of individually unlikelies tip the scale and some unfortunate incident becomes likely.
But I guess to some folks a loose gun on an airplane is no cause for alarm. Seat poachers..or no PDB...now THOSE are problems. Loose gun? Meh.
A question of priorities I guess. Sorry I'm not aligned.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:21 pm
pvn
Suspended

FWIW, I don't think this is "no big deal," that's just putting words in people's mouths. It's a big deal. But the people who are hiding under their beds with the "what if the next person to use the bathroom were a terrorist" are being ridiculous.

And, fwiw, I regularly make fun of the people who act like they've been literally tortured by FAs when they don't get their PDBs.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by pvn
FWIW, I don't think this is "no big deal," that's just putting words in people's mouths. It's a big deal. But the people who are hiding under their beds with the "what if the next person to use the bathroom were a terrorist" are being ridiculous.

And, fwiw, I regularly make fun of the people who act like they've been literally tortured by FAs when they don't get their PDBs.
It really is a big deal. The only person who is supposed to be armed is no longer armed and the possibility of another random person being armed just happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.